“No Service, Informal Ambiance, but Good Food”
Review of Coffee Works

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Coffee Works
Ranked #1 of 3 Coffee & Tea in Voorhees
Reviewed 8 June 2015

The food was very good, but getting to it was a bit of challenge. Now that I know the drill, the second visit will be better. First, the downside. The place is in a mall, but they've done their best to add some abidance, but there are very few tables in good locations for a party of four. There are comfy sofas, but when a band is playing, they are so close to the musicians, I suspect you can see their tonsils. Our table was one of the few foursomes with a good view of the jazz quartet that was playing that night, the only problem was that the main aisle was between the table and the band, so there was a constant stream of people walking between us - customers and staff. Only a small sign at the back of the place indicates that you need to go to the counter at the rear to order. We saw a couple come in, sit for 10 minutes or so, look at the watches and get up and leave. It was something we almost did, but we thought to ask the couple next to us how things worked. The posted menu in multi-colored chalk can be confusing. Better to get the printed black and white version. The staff did not seem particularly knowledgeable and when I ordered coffee and asked what sekections they had, the staff just giave me the names with no help as to what it is. (IE a bold roast from Africa or whatever).When you order the staff delivers your selection, once they find you after carrying your meal around the restaurant to find you. Maybe this is how coffee houses work! Now for the upside. The food was very good and we thought reasonable. We split the 3 Chesse (4) Quesadillas which came with Tortilla chips and a nicely spiced salsa and sour cream for $6.75. They offer a $9.95 entree which includes a protein, starch and vegetable. I had Veggie Chili, grilled chicken and grilled veggies. My partner selected roast beef, baked potato and a side salad (massiive with a lot going on). I would order either again. While the "dinner" selections were limited, there was a wide array of sandwiches, cold and hot drinks (coffee, tea and a variety of other hot/cold drinks) Also there were salads, burritos and such. They also serve breakfast food all day. While our meals were delivered to the table at 7:30 pm, the dirty dishes remained until we left just before 10 pm. The Haddon Jazz Quartet which provided entertainment for the evening was excellent., but I would call first to see if anyone is playing if you plan to be there for the music.

Reviewed 19 October 2014

Coffee Works is nice place to go to hang with friends or work online. The food there is REALLY good!! However, overall it is a bit pricey. And the space it is feels under-utilized. But I would still recommend it as a nice place to get some lunch and a coffee. The staff are very nice too!

Reviewed 23 September 2014

Since that famous Seatle coffee chain ceded its brewing superiority a number of years back when they ditched their excellent breakfast blend, I have been looking for a good local coffee house that actually served a great cup of coffee. I think that I found it! The Coffee Works in Voorhees not only serve a mean cup of coffee, but offers some pretty darned good food to boot.

I'm not sure who makes their luscious desserts, but their offerings are obviously small lot creations that have never seen the likes of an assembly line (unlike those nasty, preservative-ridden dessert offerings at your local Seattle chain!). A month ago we fell out of seats over the wonderful peach sponge cake that included locally-grown Jersey peaches: wow, were they great! The cheesecake offerings are to die for.

My guest was taken by the superb turkey avocado sandwich, but I was smitten by today's fresh chicken corn chowder: corn cut right off the cob and potatoes so well cooked (not like they were out-of-the-can). This was the third soup offering I have tried from the competent kitchen of chef Anthony. I admit that I am partial to good soups, but Anthony's are superb.

Though I have not attended one of the Coffee Work's evening music events, friends tell me that these are quite enjoyable, especially with the mixed crowd of folks that reportedly attend. Sounds to me like the Coffee Works is the place to go to avoid those cookie-cutter establishments that are all too prevalent in suburbia.

Reviewed 14 February 2013

I love stopping by Coffee Works on my way to the theater or coming home from work. The inside is clean and very creatively decorated. The staff are all friendly, helpful, and know how to whip up a tasty latte or specialty drink. I'd recommend this place to anyone! (I still have to try the bacon maple brownies... they look yummy!)