“Not your Normal Mexican Restaurant”

La Guadalupana Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 8 May 2016

If you like the Mexican chain restaurants you would hate this place because nothing on the menu looks like or tastes like American Mexican. All the food is prepared from scratch after you order, so it can take a long time for your food to arrive, but the fresh taste is worth the wait. The owners are a very pleasant couple, and they do everything from taking your order to cooking the food,. One word of caution if you order coffee, it is already sweetened, so don't add sugar.

Reviewed 5 April 2016

Food is delicious, but not enough room. Exhaust system probably needs to be cleaned - our clothes smelled afterwards. Takeout might be a better option.

Reviewed 10 September 2015 via mobile

First let me say that the service was great Very welcoming hosts. We both loved our dishes. Authentic Mexican Mexican food, not Mexican American. I miss the real flavors of this cuisine because they are difficult to get in Philly.

BYOB and mom and pop! Great place wish, I lived next door.

Reviewed 30 August 2015 via mobile

As a Mexican-born expat, I always run to visit Francisca in her Guadalupana place every time I crave the flavors of a taquería.

This place is as authentic as you are going to get it, unless you venture into the depths of Cramer Hill in neighboring Camden.

Be patient if they are not opened when they say they will be, if your change is wrong or if the math doesn't make sense when you get your hand written check. It is part of the experience. Plus you will always get a hint of the latest telenovela in their old TV over the door. You can't beat that!

Reviewed 1 August 2015 via mobile

We had never tried this place before, but decided to go because they had a coupon in the Entertainment book. We were a little skeptical since no one else was there, but we wanted to give it a try. The food was great (I had a shrimp burrito and my husband had chicken enchiladas with mole), but they wouldn't let us use the coupon, even though it was definitely for their restaurant and was not expired. That just seems like bad business to me.