“Thoroughly Observe Before Sitting Down & Ordering”

Grabbe's Seafood Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 20 Restaurants in Westville
Reviewed 28 July 2015

I read reviews on this very site before deciding to try it out Grabb's. I experienced the very opposite of it's excellent rating that was posted. We arrived about 3PM on a Saturday, July 25, 2015 and there were only one table of guests dining.

When we entered, the waitress hollered from behind the counter, "Sit anywhere you want!"

The Decor: Very dimly lit, dark wood, with few ocean-like decorations. Bathrooms were ok but like the rest of the place, needing serious renovation and brightening up.

We ordered All-You-Can-Eat blue crabs and seafood combos. Some of the crabs were mushy, over cooked. The coleslaw was so sweet, but the french fries were good! The food was put on the plate with no attempt to make it look appetizing. The sauce containers on the trays were turned on it's side as if it was thrown on the tray.
Whenever the waitress asked if we needed anything or were we okay, it was with her back turned to us, while walking away.

When leaving, I noticed the refrigerated seafood display was sloppy with trays of scallops, crabs and shrimps laying on top of each other looking dry. I'm used to seeing raw food laying on ice.

My friends and I debated whether to leave a tip or not, NOT!

Except for the good conversation and laughs with old friends, this would've been a wasted afternoon.

4  Thank Sylvia M

Reviewed 24 July 2015

We had occasion to drop into a local establishment called Grabbe's Seafood Restaurant. The place has been there for decades and the interior shows signs of that, but it is clean and well taken care of all the same. We grabbed one of the booth's and were handed their menu. Not very extensive, but what we saw we liked. I ordered the Crab Balls (insert adult joke here) and we decided to also order the Crab Soup and share a pound of the U-Peel Steamed Shrimp. Our waitress (I believe that she is also the bartender) had the personality of a stone, but she was fairly quick and efficient. The food soup arrived and we dug in. I was expecting better things but was sadly disappointed. I should have read the menu closer. Crab "Soup." Not Chowder. It was thin and tasteless. It was loaded with well cooked vegetables and lots of crab, but had absolutely no taste whatsoever. Soon after the appetizer and shrimp arrived. The Crab Balls were mini baked crab cakes that were deliciously cooked and flavorful. Thank goodness. The Steamed Shrimp were some of the best shrimp I have ever tasted. I mean it. The best. Perfectly steamed, tender and juicy. The only complaint I have is the Cocktail Sauce. Watery and tasteless. We were given horseradish for the Oyster Crackers and had a bottle of Ketchup on the table so we made our own. Only ordered soft drinks, so we were a little surprised to receive a $44 bill. The food was "mostly good" but it's a little expensive. We probably will not return, but it's a great place for numerous offerings of crab "anything" cooked any way and the shrimp are terrific. My suggestion. Go to the Seafood shop in back and buy your own and take it home to cook it in your own kitchen with your own recipe. It will save you time and money.

Reviewed 18 February 2015

I been there a number of times, for buainess, family, friend, and solo. The seafood is very good.
I have sent many to this restaurant for lunch and dinner. My siters and brothers as well as their childen all say the same thing. This is the place to go for Crabs any way you want them,cooked uncooked. crab soup is full of crab meat. The service is good and I have never had to wait long.
I have been going to this place for the last 7 or 8 years now. I visited with my husband on the weekends when we want seafood and with my sisters and friends. By now you know I am a lover of crabs. I also love the shrimps as well whether fried, broiled or stuffed they are great. The atmosphere is good and the people are all very friendly. Its a very comfortable place to enjoy a chat and chew along with a drink if desired. I ordered and picked up lunch for the people in the office also.

CILSJ- Executive Director

Reviewed 9 September 2014

If it's crabs you want, Grabbe's is the place to go! Whether you go for the all you can eat or just the amount you want to order, it's always delicious, fun and friendly. The service is always prompt, which on a crowded night is amazing, and the banter between the 2 servers and the crowd is always good for a few laughs. We never stray from our crab order, but we do enjoy their clams as an appetizer as well as the crab balls. And don't forget the seasoned fries and pitcher of beer to complete your meal. You really feel at home at Grabbe's and never leave disappointed.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

My buddy and I stopped here on Tuesday afternoon for some seafood. We were going originally going to grill some seafood that day but it was pouring rain all day so that wasnt happening. The decor is rather old but didnt really bother me and suited the place actually. We both ordered the crab soup and we both loved it. Chock full of veggies and crabmeat. I got the all you can eat garlic crabs and my buddy got the Crabmans feast which came with King Crab Legs, U Peel Shrimp and Steamed Clams. My crabs were full of crab meat for the most part but reallyyy heavy on the garlic. If you dont like garlic stay away but if you do this is definitely for you! It was a little pricey but the food was good and made it worthwhile. Will definitely come back!