“Attractive camp, beautiful gardens and wonderful birding”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park
Giant's Castle Camp
Reviewed 3 October 2017

This was our first visit. We spent 2 nights having booked the vulture hide for a day. It was a very pleasant surprise. The camp is very tastefully done and set in beautiful gardens with plants to attract the birds of the area.
The chalet was fully equipped with all the necessary crockery and cutlery, fridge, 2 plate hob, microwave and kettle. We stayed in number 12 which whilst not entirely private is nice and close to the diningroom and reception. Comfortable bed and bedding, gushing shower, tv with basic DSTV channels, outside braai. Although the shower was wonderful (torrential) go easy on the water - the geyser is not big and will not support 2 long showers or 2 baths. Remember also this is Africa and water is precious!
The power was off for about 2-3 hours on one night from 7-10pm. We cooked our meat and potatoes on the braai and had a salad. The room is equipped with 2 paraffin lamps but I would suggest taking torches/headlamps just in case.
The local shop stocks the basics but be warned it is pricey so this is advisable for emergency supplies only!
Staff were courteous and very helpful.
The accommodation price includes a full breakfast and the food was good - selection of hot and cold. The day we were in the vulture hide we had an early start & so we requested a take away breakfast which we collected the night before.
I would certainly go back, great place and wonderful confiding little birds hopping around very near your feet.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Trails well marked to bushmans cave however you do have to pay to see the paintings. We also walked along the river bank where we had a picnic on the rocks. We finished our hike with some refeshments on the deck at the resort.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2017

The accommodation was perfectly fine and clean, however in the Giant´s Castle Camp there are houses with very good view and other houses a bid hidden behind others without a good view at all. In this case we had a hidden one. Beside this location everything else was very good. The kitchen was completely equipped with cutlery, plates, glasses and pots.
There is a restaurant with good and affordable food including breakfast and dinner (reservation in advance is advised). Some of the staff was friendly and efficient others unfriendly and inefficient, but this seems to be quite normal in the most of South African Nationalparks. We could well cope with the situation.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2017

Giants castle camp is one of the best lodges available in the Drakensberg. The cottages are well kitted out and the location is simply stunning. The last review does it no justice, people like this are the problem not the accommodation.Vanessapdb an "insect in the room", please this is Africa! This is a hikers paradise with many well trodden trails to choose from. The staff are friendly and extremely helpful. Apart from hiking they also have amazing San paintings as well as countless sparkling pools to keep you cool and refreshed. To top it all off it is one of the few places one can see the majestic eland antelope in their natural surroundings.
I have been coming here regularly with my groups over the last two years and have never had any issues both with the rooms or the restaurant. I highly recommend this camp especially the mountain cottages with their spectacular views. Also the roads have been redone and any vehicle will get there.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are very nice but the mountain cottages are amazing.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Constant N
Reviewed 25 July 2017 via mobile

I'm writing this while I'm still here which hopefully reflects how bad the situation really is.

We arrived yesterday and found a made in our bed. In the other room a family member found a plastic candy wrap under his pillow. This morning I had cold water during the shower and the water was brown. Then my family member found another insect in his room.

The house was disgustig and never in my entire life have I seen a hotel/lodge like this. Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else.

I know that having a pleasant stay somewhere is subjective. But these things are objective statements, not opinions. I didn't enjoy breakfast or dinner, but that could have been just me. I also thought the house smelled horrible, but again this is subjective. It's not worth it though, there are beautiful hotels in Giants Castle, please don't take the risk.

Stayed: July 2017
1  Thank Vanessapdb
Also consider these accommodations in or near uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park
26.9 km away
Montusi Mountain Lodge
#1 of 6 in uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park
30.7 km away
Cathkin Cottage Bed and Breakfast
Cathkin Cottage Bed and Breakfas...
#1 of 2 in uKhahlamba-Drakensberg Park

Been to Giant's Castle Camp? Share your experiences!