“40th Birthday” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #106 of 410 Speciality Lodging in Seminyak
Castlemaine, Australia
“40th Birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Fantasic place for large group bookings, wounderful staff, on our first day of 14 women the staff went and got us nibbles and cold drinks ( at our cost ) etc so we could relax after a long flight. Very clean, with loads of room comfortable beds and an inviting swimming pool.
The staff were very helpful especially Gusti. We were asked everyday if we needed anyting or wanted to go out for the day and then left us to party in private.
Great location close to most things like Potato Head and Ku Te Ta ( strongly recommended)
If I had another birthday to celebrate with a large group I would go back to Villa Massilia.
"I had died and gone to Heaven"

Room Tip: I had Villa 1 the room opp the pool closest to the lounge room, great bed, lots of room but loud duc...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Michele B

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

My experience of Villa Massilia is like arriving in paradise. The staff go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The atmosphere is one of peace, calm and relaxation. Staff such as Gusti get to know each individual guest and set out to make their time at the Villa a very memorable one....simply bliss. The food at breakfast and dinner was amazing, no request was too difficult. I felt totally cared for and would definitely recommend this Villa as an ideal place to stay for groups or families. The location was easy walking to the shops, restaurants and beach.

Room Tip: The four bedroom complex was an amazing space for four couples or a group to share, the others were...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank lizmcd1960
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We recently stayed at Villa Massilia for 2 weeks in April 2012. We booked all 3 villa's and had a group of 19 people staying there. The actual villa itself, the layout, and rooms etc were great, , however, the service and staff were not. We have been going to Bali for over 20 years and have stayed in loads of villa's, we have NEVER in all those years had an experience as poor as this one. At the end of our first week, we discovered 4 out of the 5 families had money stolen out of the safe's in their rooms. Our kids had money stolen out of their wallets from the rooms. All the money taken totalled around $900 AUD. When we complained to the villa manager ( who was never actually at the villa) about this, the money was replaced that day, however after this, we barely saw any of the 15 odd staff supposedly employed at the villa. There were only 2 staff that actually looked after us, after this, the rest wouldn't come anywhere near us. We constantly had problems with every meal, there was no service during meals, like we had received at other villa's and all in all found it a very disappointing and frustrating stay. Given the huge number of villa's now in bali, especially Seminyak, I certainly would NOT recommend this villa to anyone.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Melanie S
, Manager at Villa Massilia Bali, responded to this review, 23 June 2012
I am I.B Putra Manuaba the manager of Villa Massilia Bali since August 2009. For 3 years my duties as a villa manager here I've had about thousands of guests and mostly they have wonderful and happy memories of living during their stay of the villa Massila both itself and friendly service from staff.
But things are not always as beautiful as we want and I get to experience the most severe recently when dealing with guests who claimed have lost money in the villa (in the safety boxes and their children’s wallet).

Herewith I would like to encounter the Statement of “ DON’T STAY HERE “ and “DISAPPOINTING STAY” via Trip Advisor from our recently guest who have stayed in Villa Massilia over the period of April 15th – 28th, 2012.

1. Guest informed us that they have lost their money in the Safety boxes and their daughters’ wallet on April 21st, 2012. The total amount is AUD 700 and IDR 1.200.000; and also one of them said that his credit card is used by someone in Bali. I was not in the villa as that was my day off. But after staff told me about the stolen money issue I directly come to the villa from my home which was spending around 3 hours drive to arrive.
(For me that was still big question, as all the security code in each safety box is made by own guest in each room. Yes of course we have only 1 master key for each safety box but if somebody use the key to open the safety box the safety box will be reset to normal and the security code before will unable to be used again). The master key is always keep well in the office and only me as villa manager can approve if the guest request it, because sometimes they forget their security code.

2. Guest said that the money was stolen when they went to WATER BOM on Wednesday 18th, 2012. This is mean that they realized after 3 days.

3. Guest told “I want my money back now !” and I said “ Yes, I will refund your money in 1 hour”. In the mean time I met my staff to investigate all of them. All staffs did not admit that they have stolen the guest money. I trusted my staff because all the master keys I keep in my own safety box in my office. But in other side I have to trust the guest as well. As my responsibility I refund the money at AUD 700 and 1.200.000 only 1 hour after meeting. Please note that this not mean that I admit we have stolen their money.

4. Guest told that they will move to another Villa or Hotel and I said “ Ok, you can do that and we will refund all the money from the reminder stay 100%”.

5. Guest said that they will report this to the intelligent. I said “ Yes please you can report to the police”. That would be good for me to know what really happened, all the staffs agreed if the intelligent come to investigate all of us in the villa to made it all clear.

6. Guest asked again a 50% refund from their reminder stay. I did not agree, we prefer they move from the villa and refund 100% from the reminder stay. That was hard discussion between me and guests but since the money stolen issue they will feel uncomfortable during the rest stay. I was thought that would be better they move and refund their total money from the reminder stay. We want wherever the guest staying in Bali they enjoy and happy during their holiday.

7. Guest said that would be better if I refund 50% money from the reminder stay, and they will not move from the villa instead of I must refund the total of their reminder stay and the villa empty. I said “That would be fine because I can do maintenance during villa empty”. And I also did not agree with this solution. We were not found the agreement and 1 of the guest ( he told me that he is a journalist) also said that he will post bad comment in the media for the issue in Villa Massilia. And I said,” Ok you can do that and we have right to answer your statement in Media”.

8. Guest said “At least we have spent around 5 hours to waiting you to complain about the money issue”. Guest asked 1 night refund from the whole villa rate at USD 1552. I agreed and I was thought that make sense. And guests have received the money on Monday, 2 days after the hard discussion ( USD 1552).

9. Guest asked another compensation to have 3 x lunch and 3 x dinners.

10. Guest asked that the Villa manager must attend and supervise during the cleanness everyday. I said “Yes”.

As a Villa Manager I agreed to follow all the guest demand. I was thinking that I do not want this issue and the more prolonged discussion is endless so I decided to give in order to finish quickly the problem.
Honestly there were inconvenience situation in the villa on that moment. I fully understood the condition of my staff.

The guests don’t exactly know the total money has been lost. One guest said around AUD 800 and another said AUD 900. But I have refunded the total AUD 700 and IDR 1.200.000 as they said in the villa on that moment.

They stayed 14 days in the villa and they enjoyed 12 x lunches and 13 x dinners in the villa which was they said the food in the villa was not good.

From the above history, I am as the Villa Massilia Manager will guarantee 100% for the guest safeness during their stay in the villa. And I will always take fully responsibility if there any problem happens in the villa. The best service and guest comfort is always in priority.

With best regards,
IB Putra Manuaba
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

We hired the whole complex as we had 5 families (19 people). On the brights side the Villa's themselves were beautiful to look at but that's about as far as it goes.

To start with, on day 3 of our 2 weeks stay we discovered that close to $800 Australian has been stolen both out of our wallets and our LOCKED SAFES. When we asked to see the Villa manager Putra we were told that he was and hour and a half away at his home. When he finally arrived to see us some 5 hours later he had an air of all care but no resposibility and it was only after we demanded that our money be returned or the police be called that our money miraculously turned up.

After much complaint and deliberation Putra (Villa Manager) agreed to comp us on one days stay due to us having to wait all day for him to come and sort this mess out but for the next 10 days of our stay our staff went from being a cast of 16 friendly and helpful people to around 6 staff that floated in and out when it suited them and of this 6 only 2 made and effort to talk to us or help us in any way. (For the owners reference these 2 staff were Yndy and Diwa)

We then had to go to the Villa office to ask for dry towels, water and even toilet paper when we needed them.

To top it all off we had to work out ways to make it easier for the staff to serve our meals as they found it impossible to get any of our orders correct. Yes the food that did arrive on our table was always tasty but often it was not what we ordered.

I have travelled to Bali many times before and have never experienced anything like this. All the Villas that I have stayed in previously have had a level of service that would equal any 5 star hotel and as Villa Massilia was in the same price level as the ones in the past I expected the same level of service but was sadly dissapointed.

All I can say is that if the owners could make the service equate the beauty of the Villa's this would be the place to stay in Seminyak but right now my only recommendation is not to stay there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Megan S
, Manager at Villa Massilia Bali, responded to this review, 23 June 2012

9. Guest asked another compensation to have 3 x lunch and 3 x dinners.

With best regards,
IB Putra Manuaba
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

We had a group of 10 booking the 4 room and adjoining 3 bedroom villa for 7 nights. The entire layout is great with all bedrooms being huge with just as large ensuites. We did all of our entertaining in the 4 room villa as the dining table sits 12 and the lounge area is a lot larger.

We organised a number of dinners and lunches in the villa and the standard was fantastic. They simply asked what we wanted, shopped for the ingredients which is all it cost us and cooked up some great local dishes. We all loved th meals and the great service that went with it.

The grounds of Villa Massilia are beautiful and the pools are so clean and the perfect temperature. Lots of shade if required, but full sun all day if that is what you like. The 4 room villa does offer the largest grounds and biggest pool.

The villa is difficult for most taxis to find as it is down a number of private driveways. It is. 5 minute walk to the main Seminyak street and about 10 minute walk to the beach. To be honest it is difficult to ever leave this place as it has everything you would want and if they don't have it they will get it for you.

Trust me, if Villa Massilia is available you would be crazy not to book it. We will certainly be back.

• Stayed January 2012
12 Thank Neale W
MassiliaBaliVilla, Villa Management at Villa Massilia Bali, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Hello Mr. West

Thank you for staying with us for 10 nights, we are looking froward to serve you here again for your next Bali Vacation