Open today: 7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Review Highlights
All great!

Took advance course package and love it. It was convenient for a solo diver as there was pick up... read more

Reviewed 9 November 2022
ririelvia
Bandung, Indonesia
via mobile
Fabulous macro diving

We travelled to Matahari Tulamben after seeing the fantastic nudibranch photos posted on Instagram... read more

Reviewed 2 November 2022
PhilB2978

All reviews liberty wreck sea creatures didi marie eda dive instructor drop specialty advance
Selected filters
Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

Hubby and I signed up for the introductory dive plus 2 dives. We spent a lot of time preparing our gear and learning various signals etc. Staff was very good. I didn't feel comfortable doing the diving after the pool so I didn't continue. Hubby did the liberty ship wreck and Suci garden. He really enjoyed the experience.

Date of experience: July 2016
divetulamben, Owner at Matahari Tulamben Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2016

Thank you for your nice feedback and try diving with us. Our staff is happy to read this... :-) Same like myself.

Reviewed 14 August 2016 via mobile

That was my first dive. Everything was great: we had a theoretical part, a pool training and my first dive. On the second dive I could do everything myself, so the training was very good and the results were fast. The instructors gave me a lot of attention, they were always close under water to help and tracked all the parameters to make my experience safe and interesting. Also we had a chance to dive with famous Yury Ivanov - a great underwater photographer and an excellent guide. So I recommend this place, you'll have a great experience!

Date of experience: June 2016

Thank you for great feedback Allat. When you come again may be you start to do a course because it looked like you already fall in love with the underwater world :-)

Reviewed 11 August 2016

Truly a wonderful dive resort. The diving is spectacular , the dive guides are the perfect mix of professional , light harted and fun. The food is so good that people from the other resorts come to the restaurant to eat, the prices are good and the view is amazing and all this 5-10 steps away from the closest dive site. The staff are incredibly friendly and happy even more so than at other places.

Suci is excellent at responding to emails, I had a quite few questions and special requests and never waited even 12 hours for a reply most replys were within the hour and extremely helpful.

It's such a good resort that 3 of my friends have since booked , 2 have already been and said it was amazing. The Matahari is now my go to spot when in Tulamben I wont be staying anywhere else if I have the choice.

Date of experience: March 2016

Thank you for your great feedback Ralph. Made the TEAM and myself happy :-)

Reviewed 20 July 2016

Did two dives with Matahari team. Staff was helpful and friendly. They came to pick us up on time. The dive guide gave detailed briefing, each dive was maximum 45 minutes.
The first dive was Liberty Wreck in the early morning with big waves. We were five divers with two dive guides. The dive guides took care of us very well. Because of the big wave, our entry and exit were one-by-one. They made sure we were safe.
The diving itself was not very great. We did see some humphead parrotfish, and the only things the dive guide showed us were humphead parrotfish and one nudi. (FYI, the next day I dove with another dive center at the same wreck, and we saw at least 3 scorpion fish, 4 different kinds of nudi, 2 leaf fish, frog fish, and even pygmy seahorse!) After the dive, I talked to the dive guide that we hope to see more little critters.
The second dive we had a different dive guide who I suppose is more experienced because right after descending, he started to show us lots of small creatures! He has very good eyes. On the sandy area without much coral, he could find orangutan crab, different kinds of nudis, and harlequin shrimps! But then I saw he moved the harlequin shrimps onto his hand and carried them during the dive so he could show the shrimps to another group. After that he hided the harlequin shrimps inside of one of the baskets that was almost buried in the sand. And he took some minutes move the corals in the baskets. We were waiting for him flipping things inside the basket for some minutes. At some point I though he would "found" some small critters in the basket and showed to us, but it didn't happen. I don't know why he had to move the small creatures to the basket.
I appreciate the dive guide's good eyes and caring about our safety, but I don't like the fact that one of our dive guides not only touching the animals but moving them to another place. As a diver you should respect the animals and never touch anything. In my opinion, a dive guide should be the model and never, never, never touch anything, otherwise guests will think it is okay for them to touch the animals so they can watch more details of the animals or they can have better angle to take good pictures. Please respect animals.

1  Thank Zion213
divetulamben, Owner at Matahari Tulamben Dive Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2016

Thank you for the feedback. This was a reason for a special staff meeting. I made big complain to the guide and now I can promise: it will not happen again.
I am really not agree to touch and move something underwater and we all in Matahari really respect nature. Therefore we create our own house project "Suci Place" to make another home for the creatures... and they love the place already...
Warm greetings Suci

Reviewed 10 June 2016

A great place to start learning diving as well as to have a relaxing dive trip. The fact that there are unlimited dives from shore allowed me to take as many breaks or dives as I needed. It is peaceful, and the instructors are professional and fun. Contrary to the other places I've dived at before, each dive started with a briefing and a route plan.

Easy dive sites with little to moderate current. Even if there were slightly stronger currents, the dive guides were quick to respond and in guiding us to safety.

Clean towels and toiletries were provided, and the staff could speak English well. They were very kind in helping us whenever we needed assistance.

Thank you for the pleasant stay!

Date of experience: April 2016