All reviews bison casa grande horseback riding trout the main house fly fishing great room cameron billiards jade accommodations
Reviewed 13 May 2018

My family has visited Vermejo so many times in the past 10 years. I can not say enough about how beautiful the ranch is. There is so much nature to be seen and Vermejo gets better each year. Our last trip 2 weeks ago was probably one of the best vacations spent there. The food was excellent and customer service has never been better.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Kim C
Reviewed 7 August 2017

"Trip of a lifetime."
"Best birthday ever."
"Best day ever."
These were the comments from my 80 year old dad.

The trip was adults and kids. Teens, 40 year olds, 50 year olds and eighty year olds. They accommodated us all.

I had to resubmit this because I forgot to discuss the tipping situation, so this may be a bit different than my first review.

I would recommend calling instead of emailing to communicate with the Ranch. Email responses ranged from 24 hours to two weeks. But I believe the guy (George) that took so long to respond does not work there anymore.

Be sure and look at your activities there and book a few before you go. We did not have any problem changing things once we got there.

From the start, this place is just magical. It is beautiful and serene. Every single staff member was kind and accommodating. My mother is high maintenance and they even made her happy. Ron in maintenance found her a step stool for the bed and covered it with a blanket because she did not want to fall. Thanks Ron.

We stayed at Gourley house and loved it. It was close to the fish house (central hub) and easy to get to the main house. Amazing beds and linens. There is no TV but who needs one in this amazing place. The WIFI is great and we got it fishing and hiking to the top!

They offer guides for everything you do. I would say you need a fishing guide at least the first day, and then could venture out on your own. Pete was our guide and he did wonderful with my 13 year old. Pete was all over a great guide and person. They clean your fish for you also. And can freeze them for you to take home.

My children and I spent more time hiking, biking, shooting, and archery. We happened on Daniel from New Zealand as our guide. We all fell in love with him. He was kind and smart and we felt safe amongst the environment. He was very knowledgeable about everything we asked. Ask for him. He is amazing and wonderful. My children are still talking about him and asking when we can see him again.

The food is great. You always have food. They provide three meals a day and snacks. All non alcoholic beverages are included. The bar is well stocked and they give very generous pours. Valerie and Bridgette were the bartenders when I was there and they went above and beyond and do so much more. They really made the trip. They were my go to girls. Try the vermejo park reserve wine. Very good for the price.

The chef is Jason Borin. Great food. Best quail we have ever had. Wonderful bison, elk and antelope. My mom loved the scallops. He puts a southwestern flare on some food but don't expect enchiladas and huevos. They really try to use local foods and catches. They can cook your food that you catch/kill. He had amazing trout fritters that we caught that day. Wonderful!!! One night we had bison prime rib and crab legs! Great!
Jamie is the pastry chef. Great desserts but her bread is to die for!

I know I have forgotten to mention a ton of people. We had a joke not to let the staff hear that you need or want something because IT WILL BE DONE BEFORE YOU KNOW IT. We mentioned smores to Deann and Cameron and it was done in minutes. They really cater to your every wish.

Jade is the manager and always a presence. Doing a great job!

So the tipping deal. You don't need to have any cash money during your trip. No tipping is needed until the end if you want to wait. At the end, they give you these envelopes and you can write in names or just give a tip in general (like to the kitchen staff). I distributed my tips over the whole staff for the time I was there but gave extra to Daniel, Pete, Bridgette and Valerie. There is no high pressure. No one asks you for money or gives a speech about what is expected of you.

This place is quite expensive but a dream trip. Go if you can afford it. Bring the family and bike, hike and shoot (archery, clays, bows etc.). Daniel said the horse back riding is really beautiful and magical and several guests loved it.

Room Tip: Casa grande has beautiful rooms. We stayed in the houses because we had 6 people.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank doctormay
Jade M, Manager at Vermejo Park Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2017

Thank you so much for your review and your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 18 June 2017

Hard to summarize VPR! You essentially have a "national park" to yourself, and if you're staying in Casa Grande, the most beautifully restored accommodations to return to at the end of your adventurous day. There's a stuffed lion in the Great Room, a peaceful greenhouse with reading chairs and billiards room for when it rains, and a gorgeous marble kitchen always stocked with tea and drinks. Casa Grande is turn of the (last) century perfection.
My husband and I are in our mid 30's and visited for 4 days. Highlights of the trip: seeing just-born baby bison, enjoying the view on the main lodge's porch, a guided horseback ride sans a trail, and epic fishing - with giant trout that love to jump! Really the best part is completely disconnecting from the world and going off by yourselves, in a stunning place. Husband also loved shooting their new 5 Stand. The food is good, and it was fun to try elk and antelope.
If you're able to go - VPR is a unique experience that you won't easily replicate in America. Definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Casa Grande is worth every penny.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PGHinCLT
Jade M, Manager at Vermejo Park Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thank you so much for kind words! We enjoyed having you and look forward to your return. Warm regards!

Reviewed 9 February 2017

Do yourself and/or your family a favor to experience this nature. Stay in Casa Grande and get Gator to take you fishing and also eat Bison at some point. There may be but a few times in your life to expereince this nature or to teach your children.

We had a family of 4 with teenagers and traveled by train from California to Raton, NM to visit Vermejo Park Ranch. Thank you Ted Turner for you stewardship of the land at a scale I have not seen before and for sharing it with us. What you can learn from the conservation work they are doing with fish, bison and other topics is worth the visit alone.

You must stay in the beautiful and historic Casa Grande that has a room and facilities that take you back an age or two. The kids gladly checked out of their electronics. We dined with a few other families in the Great Room and retired to the billiards room to end each evening with the family. Brian, the house butler was fantastic to prepare the food and breakfast each day and arrange any need.

Gator is the guy for fishing! My young daughter learned to fly fish and caught at least 19 fish over 3 days. He taught my kids more than fishing and his patient style with them was truly special. They think of him as a grandpa figure now. We sat for hours each day and just learned about fish (rainbow, browns, which fly to use, and the great work they are doing with cutthroat) and watched the eagles and prairie dogs, elk bison etc... Gator drove us up to the top to cross the Colorado/New Mexico state lines to view from 11,000 feet the views that went forever. That was worth the time off the water.

Take the long horseback ride with the real cowboy with the true 10 gallon hat! Another special guy and authentic experience. This is no pre-set trail with slow horses. You are out in pure nature (mountain, rivers and prairie) with no fence or civilization to be seen.

The food and restaraunts were also pretty good. We brought some fish back each day and the prepared these for us in special ways. The variety was also great. I had the Bison and can say it is the best meat I have ever had.

So I have seen some of the comments about issues with some rooms, activities or other. I would say we did not witness most of that since we stayed in Casa Grande and had Brian as butler and Gator as our primary guide. We also used this as an experience for the family to take advantage of the pure outdoor/nature experience so didnt mind the extra amenities.

Highly recommended for any type visit. Hunting, fishing or just exploring. Solo, with your hunting pals or with your family. I think all can find a way to enjoy this beautiful and historic property.

Room Tip: Stay in Casa Grande for the Ultimate Experience
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Christopher D
Reviewed 28 September 2016 via mobile

Go if you can! We went in summer for family fishing and horseback riding. Amazing food! Stay at The main house if you can. Brian the butler made our stay very memorable and shared all the history of the ranch.

Ask for Gator as your guide for fishing! Our kids caught more fish than us thanks to his patient teaching! Beautiful days on the lake watching eagles and wildlife pass by.

Better than any national park and all to ourselves! How fortunate we were to get to visit such a special place.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family