“Zip Line Tour”

Ski Apache
Ranked #1 of 1 Tours in Ruidoso
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Ski Apache opened under the name "Sierra Blanca Ski Resort" during Christmas of 1961. Amazingly, twenty-six hundred people an hour were fast carried up the ski run crest via three T-bar lifts. In 1962, the very first mono-cable four-passenger gondola in North America was built to accommodate a greater number of skiers. And it seems just in time as twenty-five thousand skiers showed up for the second season. Since 1963, the resort has been owned and operated by the Mescalero Apache Tribe. Only two years after its official opening in 1961, Robert O. Anderson, the wealthy oil man who built and opened the slopes, sold the resort to the able hands of the Mescalero Apaches. It wasn't until the 1984-85 season that the slopes were appropriately named "Ski Apache". The wood-spired Main Lodge was designed by Victor Lundy ... Proclaimed as America's Outstanding Architect in 1958. Since the opening season of 1961, this lodge has stood statuesque, an unfailing sentry below the crest. With wood spires reflective of the surrounding pines, the Lodge mirrors the natural beauty of the Sacramento Mountains. Lundy succeeded in introducing Modernism architecture with a practical eye towards the skiers needs. Ski Apache offers world class skiing, snowboarding, sightseeing, mountain biking, and the longest zip line in the lower 48 states.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Zip Line Tour at Ski Apache is one of the best in the world! It is the highest in the world, the longest in the US and the 6th longest in the world. I have zip lined all across the world from Hawaii to Costa Rica to Mexico and this one hands down the best! If your in the area, you need to do this! It will not disappoint.

All reviews
"beautiful drive"
"staff was friendly"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I've wanted to try zip lining for a very long time. I was fortunate enough to do it on this trip and I must say the Apache Wind Rider Zip Tour is incredible!!! Our guides (Isaiah and Matt) were the best. They took safety very seriously but made it very entertaining and fun at the same time. Before the tour began they took us to the top of the mountain and explained all the different areas surrounding us (very knowledgeable about the history of the area). During the tour they kept me laughing with their humor and enthusiasm! I highly recommend this to everyone. The only down fall is that now that I've experienced this line it's going to be difficult to do shorter ones everywhere else. As far as my skiing part of the trip went, it was my first skiing trip so I took lessons for a few hours the first day. The instructor (West) was very kind and PATIENT. It took me a while to stay upright but he made the situation very light-hearted which kept me from getting frustrated and giving up. Bart in the ski-rental shop had a great sense of humor and was very helpful. I totally enjoyed the visit. Just a shout out to these individuals once again (West, Bart, Isaiah, and Matt)....you guys ROCK! Thank you for such a great experience!!!!

1  Thank littlebear474
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

It’s been about 20 years since our last visit. Still had a great time. Hard to believe the weather was so nice, 50 degrees, which created some slush - but would definitely come back again.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

The zip line is crazy good. The views were amazing and it almost made me forget I was flying down a mountain at 70 mph! The employees that worked with my group were William and Drew. Those guys were very good and they made sure that we were all comfortable and confident at the practice set. They kept us laughing with light jokes and Drew even offered me his goggles. William and Drew were very good and they added value to the overall experience! It was definitely an experience I would do again.