“Wonderful choice!”

Comet II Drive-In Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 24 Restaurants in Santa Rosa
Cuisines: American, Mexican, Seafood
Reviewed 11 October 2017

Had dinner tonight at this unpretentious little local restaurant. It was outstanding! We both had a Chimichanga with green chili sauce. I had chicken and my husband beef. The food was plentiful, piping hot, tasty but not too hot for our Midwestern tastebuds. One of the best Mexican meals I've ever had. The service was friendly and helpful. Then, came these lovely little dishes of Natillas, a warm lovely Mexican custard style pudding. Wow, too bad were only here one night. May have to make a stop here on our way back east !!

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

Last time we came the food was outstanding this time the beans were dried out and the red chili had a Sour taste, the food was priced higher than we remembered, and our ticket wasn't itemized . but to get two sides and one meal and a piece of pie shouldn't have been as high as it was. the good thing about the visit was it's a great place ,clean, smells good ,and the pie was very good. always outstanding pie

1  Thank revDB
Reviewed 30 September 2017

I have been eating at The Comet since I was 3 years old. It is THE BEST Mexican Food you can have in New Mexico. I literally dream of Johnny's "Chimayo Style" Enchiladas. The salsa is to die for and you can buy a jar to take home with you.

Reviewed 19 September 2017 via mobile

Santa Rosa is a great lunch stop between Albuquerque and Amarillo. The beautiful "Blue hole" can be a two minute stop or a couple of hours for the kids to swim and cool off (free!)
The Comet II is an authentic Route 66 drive in and sit in restaurant for decades. It was very clean and neat. The waitresses were terrific and pleasant. I had the Blue Madonna enchilada and Hubbie had the chicken enchilada with green salsa. Both were delicious as were the complimentary chips and salsa, sopapillas and custard with a delicate meringue. Worth the stop!

Reviewed 19 September 2017

We stopped at the Comet II on our way to Albuquerque. It was a great choice. This is a family style, family run place specializing in Mexican and New Mexican dishes and it did not disappoint, from the food to the service. My wife had the green chile stew which was a bit different than some -- maybe the usual potatoes were not chunked, but instead sort some mashed into the stew to give it a thick, satisfying consistency. I had the carnitas burrito which was all meat, no filler, and all delicious. At the end our our meal a free dish of yummy vanilla custard arrived. We'd planned to try the homemade pies (which looked delicious), but there was no room after that. We'll certainly stop at Comet II when we're through Santa Rosa again!