New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Taos Snowshoe Adventures

Taos Snowshoe Adventures
Ranked #10 of 21 Tours in Taos
More attraction details
Owner description: Join Taos Snowshoe Adventures for a special opportunity to explore New Mexico's winter wilderness, with a naturalist guide. We offer 1/2 and Full Day Snowshoe Guided Snowshoe Tours, Overnight Backcountry Yurt Trips, and 2 hr. "Learn to Snowshoe" hikes, in the majestic Sangre de Cristo Mountains, near Taos and Santa Fe. Learn about local ecology, natural history, and wilderness skills. Snowshoes and poles, hot beverages and snacks included."If You Can Walk, You Can Snowshoe!"
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great fun, and very informative!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

My husband and I called Taos Snowshoe Adventures for a quick, two hour trip last weekend. Although it was not very strenuous (but probably could have been, had we wanted to make it so), the owner, Stuart, led us on a relaxing, beautiful trail, and talked to us about the nature around us. I learned more about the forest in that time then I've ever learned! I would highly recommend this company.

Visited January 2012

Dallas, Texas
“A wonderful, and different experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

Me and my wife went on with Stuart for snowshoeing in Sangre Cristo Mountains in New Mexico. I should say it had been one of the best guided tours I've ever been on. Firstly the location of the the snowshoe is in midst of a calm, scenic driveway from Taos to Angelfire, would provide anyone with good hiking experience. And not to mention, Staurt, one of the best guide we've ever had. Right from the start, from informing us what to wear , bringing in hand warmers for my wife, helping us with the snowshoe equipment, explaining us the flora and fauna around in the mountain, stopping for a breathe, preparing us lunch and chocolate drinks, it was all very nice. Unlike other guided trips, Staurt doesn't bring in a lot of people in batch. We were only 2 couples who hiked on that particular day. He engages everyone in the talk,and makes the hike a very pleasant experience. The hike itself was little strenuous, but was over demanding. Anybody with a fair fitness would be able to do the hike. It was overall great snowshoe experience in Taos. We'r looking forward for other Llama adventure tour with Staurt in the summer.

Austin
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“A personal tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

This was my first time ever snowshoeing. Having Stuart as our guide made this experience unforgettable. Everything he planned was meticulous, accurate and very personable. He made us feel like there was no one else around. Stuart was well prepared and treated us like old friends. His instructions were clear and concise. His knowledge goes beyond snowshoeing, and he mastered the art of talking with people and making them feel comfortable without talking their ears off. The break with hot chocolate and the delicious chilli for lunch were the icing on this tour.

Austin, Texas
“Wonderful Winter Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

My family had a great time getting to know Stuart and the other people in our group while spending time in the beautiful mountains of New Mexico! Stuart was so knowledgable about the history, flora and fauna of the area and allowed each one of us to get what we wanted from our outing. Everything about this trip was easy and well organized - reservations, meeting location, and difficulty level. Overall, this was a great time!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Snowshoeing splendor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

We started out very early from Santa Fe to Taos for this adventure and even with the directions provided we almost got lost. Honestly, the directions provided just aren't very clear and the cell service dies out as you near the meeting point. We tried calling the main number provided for help, but there was no answer. That being said, we managed to arrive just as the tour was departing and Stuart quickly outfitted us with snowshoes and let us in on the basics. Stuart is a great guide. He stops if people need to catch their breath and he describes the local flora and fauna in detail. There was a cocoa break and he had kindly provided apple cider to accommodate my dairy intolerance. Later, when we made a camp fire for lunch he had vegetarian chili for my sister, as well. You won't need any snowshoeing experience to start having fun immediately. Keep in mind, there are hills to go up at times. One final tip: I was afraid that I would need special snow pants and shoes, but my normal water resistant winter gear was adequate. Just wear extra socks. Have fun!

Visited December 2010