“Great food!”

Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Martyrs Lane
Description: Classic Steakhouse. Large selection of a la carte meats and seafood. Wide variety of Northern New Mexican dishes. Custom made cocktails from our Honey Locust Bar. Large outdoor patio. Take-out orders welcome. Catering. Private function space. Dog friendly patio. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed 10 April 2022

Our first night in Taos, the hotel recommended Martyrs as it was a couple of blocks away and everything closed early, especially on a week night.
They sat us right away with menus, water and was just as hospitable as they could be.
Nice menu, nice local beer, nice staff. When you order an entree, there is an array of sides you can pick to go with it. For me, that late at night, I ate a little on the lighter side. They had tomato soup and grilled cheese on the specials that night, and I can never resist homemade tomato soup. My friend had the Scottish Salmon that I had a bite of, juicy, tender and tasted like Salmon should without a lot of fanfare other than a little butter and lemon. We ate there our first night and our last night. Will definitely go back on our next trip.

Date of visit: March 2022
Write a reviewReviews (55)

Reviewed 3 April 2022 via mobile

Comfortable environment, quieter than most places for dinner in Taos. The mussels were delicious, though portion average, but we shared a pink trout which was phenomenal. Mixed vegetable side dish very tasty. Service good, too. We weren't rushed.

Date of visit: April 2022
Reviewed 22 February 2022 via mobile

The only reason I’m giving Martyrs a 1 is TripAdvisor doesn’t allow me to rate lower. If you are visiting Taos or surrounding area avoid this “steakhouse” at all costs.

We had a 7:30 reservation for a Saturday night when we were not greeted professionally by the 3 individuals huddled around the host stand when we arrived at 7:28pm. They rudely told us our table wasn’t ready, which our party of four was completely understanding.

After standing in the doorway for 27 minutes we were finally seated. Our server “Kelly” ran by our table several times before acknowledging us (understandable it’s a Saturday evening I’m sure she was swamped). She then told us “she’d be with us in 2 minutes.” Due to the extended wait, our party of four had ample time to go through the menu and we put in our full order by the time Kelly got to our table.

After 55 minutes and several carafes of water one of the individuals in our party asked Kelly if she could give us an update on our food. We then received our entrees with two of the same orders one being served in a bowl the other on a plate. A little bizarre but we rolled with it. The next dish came out several minutes after the other two. This was dish had obviously been sitting under a heat lamp and was mediocre at best. The last entree “pork chop”our party was waiting on finally arrived. Not two bites in and it was very evident the pork chop was not cooked. Kelly (our server) must have noticed the chop was still breathing and immediately came to get the pork chop and take it back.

She apologized…thanks Kelly. But due to all the wait time, our 7:30pm reservation led to our party receiving our entrees well passed 9:00pm (Martyrs closing time) so the kitchen was also already closing up. Regardless another entree from that kitchen would not have been satisfactory.

Concerning the atmosphere, the host who acted like she was seating you at a Nobu establishment left the front door open when the outside temperature was almost 32°.

In closing if your feeling the urge to waste several hours waiting just to receive below mediocre and evidently unprepared meat while u try and consume it wearing your winter puffer then give Martyrs a stop.

Reviewed 17 February 2022 via mobile

We ordered steaks baked potato roasted garlic their special sauce and broccolini.. the broccolini was good! nice and firm. so was the baked potato it must have been reheated or microwaved for too long it was so hard it could not easily be mashed, however their true downfall for a restaurant that has seven steaks on the menu wasn't that the beef was of such poor quality I could not believe it. A normal supermarket steak taste pretty good
a good supermarket steak tastes very good, these steaks didn't even taste like beef.
The portion was large, the price was fairly high and the quality I'm sad to say , would not rate any stars at all.
The surroundings were quite comfortable in an old building in Taos. The staff were all friendly and competent
This was one of the worst steaks I've had in as long as I can remember.
A terrifically unpleasant meal. .
: • (

Reviewed 9 February 2022

We were not sure what to expect when hostess asked if we wanted to sit by the fire in the other building - I am glad we said yes as it was exceptional. We had cozy dinner sitting close to the fire with a few other tables in the vicinity - socially distanced. Service and food was excellent - we had wedge salad and salmon prepared to perfection. Definitely a place to go back too.