“Outstanding Mexican food (not northern New Mexican)”

Antonio's The Taste of Mexico
Ranked #1 of 131 Restaurants in Taos
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: An Eclectic Taste Of Mexico. Chef Antonio covers all the bases, deliciously. Everything on the menu is prepared fresh and made to order and the majority of the menu can be prepared gluten free. Because of the flavorful, full-bodied sauces, you will be pleasantly full at the end of your meal accompanied with a fun Margarita like a Jalapeno, Watermelon Margarita. Nothing else like Antonio's Restaurant in beautiful Taos, New Mexico.
Reviewed 24 April 2018

Antonio's offers a huge variety of superb Mexican (not Northern New Mexican) food. He's an excellent chef with subtle (not strong/overwhelming) flavors. Everything is good at Antonio's--I've had the soups, the tacos, enchiladas, steak, marinated pork--it's all good. My special favorite is the blue crab cakes appetizer. Pleasant, homey ambience and Antonio, in addition to cooking, enjoys talking with all his guests. He was away from Taos for a few years and I'm thrilled to see him back. I'd eat there every night if I could!

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

Chile Rellenos en Nogada was a new experience & delicious. Antonio was taking great care of his customers personally.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

My wife and I have been hooked on Northern New Mexican cuisine since we lived there in the seventies. We have been coming to Taos and Santa Fe for years, and are always looking for great restaurants. We have finally found the best. Antonio's place is not much to look at on the outside, and it's not very big, and your not impressed until they bring the food! His signature rellano is excellent. He made a seafood platter that was beyond excellent. Lobster enchilada, ceviche, and blue crab taco smothered in green. Amazing. The best Northern New Mexican dinner we have had in the last 45 years! I don,t know how he does it. He is the chef, a waiter, and a busboy, always busy, and yet takes the time to welcome you to his restaurant. We asked for sopapillas and honey to finish our meal, but Antonio says he isn't pleased with the dough today, so he will make up a tres leches cake for us instead, no extra charge. Of course, it was fabulous. DO NOT MISS THIS RESTAURANT.

1  Thank Doug H
Reviewed 21 April 2018 via mobile

This small restaurant is top in quality! The food is absolutely delicious and reasonably priced. Be adventuresome and ask for their signature dishes. My Chile relleno en Nogada was so delicious I decided to try out their flan and it was the best I have ever had! The service was friendly, helpful and prompt. Even their restrooms are clean and spacious. Frankly, I had just dropped in because it was nearby but I will never again visit Taos without eating here again! If you approach Taos from the south make it your first stop to get your Taos visit off to a great start.

Reviewed 20 April 2018

Make sure your GPS has the correct address cause our GPS was not up to date. We were there around 4 PM and were the only ones in the restaurant. Antonio was there and stopped by to greet us. The restaurant isn't very large so we were glad we were there prior to the dinner rush. There is outside dining but with the winds and the road work going on outside dining would not be a good option. I had the Chile Relleno en Nogada which is the signature dish. The brandy cream sauce was absolutely delicious. My hubby had a burrito which was huge. I am so glad I did not order the burrito based on the size. He enjoyed his burrito. For dessert we had the tres leches which was fantastic. The presentation of all the dishes was wonderful. The reason for the very good is the food was just warm. We like our food served a tad bit warmer. If the restaurant would have been busier I could have understand maybe the food not being delivered super fast. But we were the only people in there. We did enjoy the presentation, the quality and the flavors. We just wish the food would have been warmer. You couldn't really linger over your food. You had to eat it quick. We would recommend and would try again in the future.