“Worst stay anywhere and that includes a hunting dog frendly flea infested motel in Dumas Texas”
Review of El Camino Lodge

El Camino Lodge
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Taos
Reviewed 6 March 2017

From the property's reply's to previous reviews on TripAdvisor I was under the impression that the new ownership was re-branding the property making vast improvements to the rooms and surroundings, retraining the housekeeping staff and making guarantees as to the quality of the new continental breakfast. I can unequivocally say I did not see any changes or improvements from my stay here 4 years ago but instead did see a lot of disrepair to the parking lots with orange construction fence blocking many parts of the lot including right in from of our room (why they had to put us there I don't know because when we checked in on Thursday we were only a handful of guests).

There were four of us on a guys ski trip and had requested adjoining rooms and they couldn't have put us any farther apart on the property which was an annoying inconvenience when trying to coordinate four people (like I said the property was mostly empty upon arrival so to not comply with this simple request is beyond me). There were no updates to the rooms at least in the ones we were in. We did not receive maid service 2 of the 3 nights we were there and I literally slept using my ski jacket as a pillow as I was suspect of the linnens. The remote to the TV had no batteries in either of the rooms so we changed the channels by hand (a throwback to yesteryear). The towels in the bathroom were small paper thin and smelled like cigaretts (I'm not exaggerating) and we were given two tiny bars of soap (no shampoo or any other amenity's in the room) There was a soap/shampoo dispenser in the shower that must have been a remnant from the past as it was empty and non-operational.

The new and improved continental breakfast included bread slices, cold cereal and a waffle maker (english muffins were included one day). They also offered coffee that was out if you did not get there early . Needless to say a poor excuse for a breakfast. No fresh fruit or pastry to be seen.

I made the reservations for the rooms and will probably never live it down. There were plenty of other options at this price point or less and I undoubtedly made the worst choice possible and if I had been traveling with my wife and children I would have forfeited a nights room rental and went somewhere else. The lobby is nice and clean with an indoor pool and nice hot tub but that is just a pretty wrapper to the poor quality and service you find beyond. I will also point out that I would have truly been afraid for the safety of my wife and 20 year old daughter if I had brought them here. But as 4 guys that are used to campfires and roughing it in the wilderness we didn't throw a fit.

From reply's to previous reviews the new owners state they have a long way to go. This is an understatement to say the least. They have backslid and did not deliver on the simplest of things to get right : maid-service and breakfast. They must have a very limited budget as at the pace of progress they will have to start over by the time they are done.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank MSMCIB
Management response:Responded 9 March 2017

I have read your review and I cannot apologize enough for your terrible stay at the hotel. I offer no excuses, all I know is we failed you and your party, completely. I just don't even know what to say. Everything you have read about updating and remodeling, is true. I cannot understand why we would have put you in an unfinished room, and why they couldn't put you close to the rest of your party, it's simply unacceptable. It is true, the parking lot needs to be resurfaced, but the cold weather prevents this. We have it scheduled to be done in June. However, all of this considered, there is no excuse for poor customer service. As I have said before, we have a lot of work to do still. I feel very badly about all of this. Please, feel free to call and speak to the owner. I know he would welcome the opportunity to talk to you about this and perhaps, in some way, make this whole experience up to you. Thank you for your review, you have no idea how much it has enlightened us in our endeavor to make this a place you would like to come to.

Most Sincerely,

Reviewed 3 March 2017

We tried it because some reviews were positive. It is dirty. We had to go out and buy toilet bowl cleaner and clean the bathroom. Blanket on bed had a burn hole, stains on rug and walls. None cleaned the room during our 4 day stay.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 22 March 2017

Please accept our apology for your stay at the hotel. When you check into a hotel, at the very least, you expect to get a clean room. You didn't and we are so sorry. We've only just started on this project and sometimes it seems like you just take one step forward and two steps back. We are a work in progress and will keep working toward making this a very nice place to stay. Thank you for your review, it has been very useful to us.

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

The hotel was absolutely amazing. The rooms were clean and provided everything you need for your visit.
The staff was very friendly and was very helpful. The hotel breakfast was delicious and it was a great way to start your morning. All in all, a great experience !!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 22 March 2017

Thank you so much for your very kind review. We love to read reviews like yours, I makes us feel like we are headed in the right direction. It also gives the staff an incentive to work harder to make our guests happy. Customer service is our prime concern. We hope to see you again, real soon. Again, thank you for your review, it is so important to us.

Reviewed 23 January 2017

When we first got to the room I noticed that there were some used tissues under the table, toilet paper in the bowl, and blue cleaning product that had not been rinsed out of the shower. This is the cheapest place in Taos, so I somewhat expected it to be less that impressive and forgave these offenses. However, when we were leaving, I looked around the bed to make sure we hadn't left anything and found a LITERAL SYRINGE. They rightfully refunded our stay, but that doesn't make up for such a blatant health hazard. The hotel was recently purchased by new owners and TripAdvisor reviews have gotten better since then, so I figured the place would be fine for a few nights. However, while "new ownership" is an acceptable excuse for things like old infrastructure in need of updating and other major projects, having clean and safe rooms is the bare minimum and these "new owners" are not even working with their staff to ensure that.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 26 January 2017

I have just read your review and I wanted to apologize for your experience in our hotel. Yes, we are the new owners and we are working very hard at rebuilding the reputation the hotel has acquired over the years. We are in the process of retraining and rebuilding our entire staff. As you mentioned, they need more training. We have been in the hotel business for quite some time and have a good idea of what needs to be done, but we are a work in progress and we have a long way to go. When you check into a room the least you can expect is a clean and safe room. We've only been here for 3 months and you can only do so much, but because of your letter, we have implemented checking each and every room before a new guest can even check into it. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. My hope is that if your are ever in Taos again, you will stop by and tell us how we're doing. Perhaps even give us a second chance and stay again. Thank you for your review, they are very important to us.

Diane H.

Reviewed 12 January 2017 via mobile

I m staying over here for last couple of the days and i m working in taos ski valley mountain and the elcamino lodge is too good and the service which i got itz awesome and also the lodge is having with beautiful view ...

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 26 January 2017

I have just read your review and I am so pleased that you are enjoying your stay at our hotel. As you might know, we have just purchased the hotel and we are working very hard to update and remodel the whole hotel. We want it to be a place you will want to return to over and over again. Thank you again for your review, it is so very important to us.

Most Sincerely,