“Awesome Camp and Staff”
Review of Chitabe Camp

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Okavango Delta
Chitabe Camp
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Chitabe Camp was likely our favourite camp on our recent Botswana trip. The game viewing was truly awesome and the camp was great. The rooms are very nice and well kept and the management and staff really create a wonderful atmosphere and culture around the camp. Phinley, our guide was really an amazing guy who shared his experience and knowledge with us along the way and was always enagaged and interested even in the face of my never ending questions. Even though we met several great guides along the way Phinley was the best of the group by a clear margin. Its clear that Trevor runs and well organized ship at this camp and Leanna is kind of the spirit of the place. Thanks to all of the above as well as Tuso and BB for our airstrip transports. The only way we could have had a better time would have been to stay longer!

Room Tip: I dont think it matter in this camp. In some I preferred to be a little away from the main camp are...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank asheahan

Reviewed 14 December 2011

We spent 4 nights at Chitabe in December. Every game drive was productive for predator viewing. Lions, lionesses, cheetah and wild dog. This lodge shares the same concession with Chitabe Lediba and Sandibe. So the game viewing from all 3 lodges should be the same with a bit of luck.

We had a very dedicated driver guide. The vehicles here seemed to have slightly less leg room than other camps, so knees were always on the row in front.

Lodge and food were satisfactory but nothing to rave about. In my room, I could hear the conversations of other guests rooms, so the rooms don't seem to have quite enough privacy. But the diversity of wildlife was fantastic. And there is a lovely curio shop. All in all, we had a great time. But gave it 4 out of 5 because I thought the lodge was slightly less appealing than others. However, wildlife would be difficult to surpass. It was truly excellent.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank Di D
Reviewed 20 November 2011

My recent stay at Chitabe Lediba was spectacular. I arrived at the camp to be warmly greeted by the staff. The rooms were nicely appointed and all of the food excellent. Each of the game drives were amazing. I saw many elephant herds many with young calves. I came to see the big cats and was not disappointed. The leopard sightings were beautiful. Saw leopards hunting during the day twice. Also, our guide Ebs found two leopards mating that we were able to witness. I would highly recommend this camp,

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank MZBivens
Reviewed 11 November 2011

We stayed in 3 Wilderness Safaris camps in the Spring of 2010 when the waters of the Okavango Delta were at the highest level in 35 years. Wilderness Safari is the company to book with for Botswana and Zambia. Their guides are excellent, the air transport very reliable, and camps extremely suitable.

Wilderness Safaris offers Premier Camps while this was the mid-grade Classic Camp. Although I love five star hotels, the Classic Camps were more than adequate, and having architecturally significant buildings such as those in the Premier Camps seemed unnecessary and somewhat distracting from the bush experience.

The tents and baths at Chitabe are very nice. The only negative was the quality of the food, which was comprised of tough meat and pedestrian menus. The food was superior in quality and more inventive in style in the other camps we visited. I hope that Chitabe has upped its game--literally and figurately--on this by now.

Room Tip: Stay away from the dining tent, kitchen, and lounge.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IdahoTimber
Reviewed 21 October 2011

If there is one place in the world I would return again and again, it is to Chitabe. I traveled with a college alumni educational package tour, and the dozen of us on the tour spent three nights in Chitabe, (also traveling to South Africa and Zambia) but it seemed like a month - in a great way. We saw so much wildlife, I made so many close friends, I learned so much culture, biology, and bird identification, that it seemed a semester of study was crammed into a few days. A birders paradise, our CHitabe guide taught me 80 new species in two full days of safari. Seriously. We tracked leopards, followed lion prides on their hunt, saw more stars in an expansive sky that seemed to stretch from the earths curvature in all directions, listened to native staff harmonies over a night campfire. The staff, food, and comfort was impeccable. Not luxurious, in a soft,pampered, top of the line, newest and most fasionable, superficial and flashy way. But in an environmentally conscious, friendly and helpful, fresh and wholesome, part of nature, intelligent and reasonable kind of way. I could live happily there and never leave. I was there in the dry season, and every day with the guides was spectacularly beautiful, though hot. If it is possible to love a place, I love Chitabe, and by extension, all the Okavango Delta of Botswana. I did not make my own travel arrangements to get there, so I am not familiar with the expense of doing that. We took a tiny private plane from Maun, Botswana into the Delta, to be picked up by land rover and driven a hour or so to the camp. The view from the plane was exciting from the co-pilot's seat, and the Landrover trip to the camp was a guided safari of dozens of species. The entire trip had the feel of visiting friends on a private, isolated tour of their land. Not a group, Disneyland, landrover safari tour with dozens of people driving around looking at canned exhibits (like in other So. African tours we went on). We seldom saw another landrover, or person, outside of our one six person truck driving around in nature all alone. The concession is so large as to feel like you are one with the natural environment. The animals do no act like they are familiar with people, or care that we are there. A biologist's or naturalist's dream environment. I want to tell NO ONE about this place, so that it will be preserved for me and me only. Guess I ruined that here.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo