“Best part is the view of the river”
Review of The Little Bear

The Little Bear
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Bearsville
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2017

We sat on the glassed in porch and had this fantastic view of the rushing stream. Really quite beautiful setting. The Chinese food is fine, not exceptional. We had wonton soup, pork dumplings, egg roll, chicken with vegetables, and moo shoo pork. Probably the chicken and moo shoo were the best of what we tried. The serving people seem not to understand a lot of English making communicating and asking questions difficult. For the price it was reasonable amount of food. Just not stellar, and it could use a good cleaning.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

I haven't been to The Little Bear in years and boy, has it changed. We sat down to four water glasses with lipstick stains. We had to ask for new ones. Then, when I placed my napkin on my lap I somehow reached under the table and there was a wad of chewed gum. When I rested my foot on the heater, I think the food on the heating unit has been there for 10 years. There were finger prints on the glass doors, the floors were filthy and I won't even get to the food after reading the dirty, stained menu. UGH - don't bother.

Reviewed 20 May 2017

Extensive menu, pretty much anything you can imagine if you want the chinese food we Boomers grew up with. Sit by the window and enjoy the view. Or sit with the regulars at one of the best bars in town.

Reviewed 23 April 2017

My friend and I took a ride to Woodstock after reading "Testimony " by Robbie Robertson. I told my friend about this great Chinese Restaurant and after going to see the Bearsville Theatre there it was, right next door. After reviewing the menu we chose two dishes. My meal was a tofu dish with an orange sauce, some of the vegetables were cool and others hot, temperature wise. The water chestnuts and another vegetable was cold, so I assume the chef added them too late in the process.. The carrot slivers appeared to be pre-sliced from a bag. The tofu tasted ok however the baby corn did not taste right. I left 2 on my plate because they did not agree with me. i let the waitress know at the end of meal not to add the baby corn to our to go bag. The last time I went to Little Bear, which was a long time ago, it was authentic Chinese food. Not now, as far as i am concerned. My friends meal had the same orange sauce, lacking flavor. Yes the stream is beautiful and there were fresh roses on the table.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

This is my third trip to Little Bear on Christmas Day and you would think that the owners of the restaurant would learn from previous years to bring more help on a busy Christmas Day as no other restaurants are open on Christmas Day in town. Little Bear is pretty much it around Woodstock for lunch and dinner on Christmas.

I learned my lesson from the year before and I got to the restaurant by 5:00pm before the first movie at the movie theater let out, so it was not as crowded and rushed. The food was a lot better but still not as good as the first time I ate there. I just don't think the staff can handle that day.

I had the dim sum for an appetizer and the shu mai I had was very good but you could tell was not homemade. It was still good though. For my entrees I had the Dragon and the Phoenix which was a half portion of sweet chili shrimp and half sweet and sour pork, which was really good but lukewarm when it came to the table. The mu shu pork was also very good with a lot of flavor and ingredients but again was a little tepid when it came to the table. The waiter never asked if I wanted dessert just handed me the check and I was on my way.

I wanted to get out of there anyway as the crowds started to come in and were impatient for tables and the phone rang off the hook with take out orders. Again for the third year, they were over-whelmed.