“Great Buffet”

The Holloway House
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Bloomfield
Price range: US$8 - US$42
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Holloway House since 1808, featuring traditional American fare at affordable prices. The main dining rooms feature Roast Turkey, Steaks, and Seafood in a historic setting. Also a Sunday Buffet Brunch is a great way to enjoy your family and friends after church . Friday night Fish Fry followed by a slice of one of our in house baked pies or creme brulee is a great way to start your weekend or trip to one of the lakes. A perfect place for your next party, private seating for groups up to 60. Saturday night prime rib and seafood buffet is very popular.
Reviewed 16 October 2017

We were here with a large group of people for their Sunday buffet. There was a lot of food and it was all delicious.. except for the mac and cheese which was very grainy. The buffet is supposed to come with orange juice or mimosa. You are only allowed one choice. and only one glass. My husband mistakenly took the mimosa as regular OJ. When he asked for OJ he was told that since he already had a mimosa he was not entitled to an OJ. Really? For $24 I should be able to get two glasses of OJ or two glasses of mimosas. That ticked me off. Otherwise it was a nice experience. Would I drive out for an hour to return? No.

Reviewed 31 August 2017

Such a big and ymmy lunch. Terrifically flavorful chicken vegetable soup for me and chicken noodle for my husband started the meal. Then good old fashioned chicken and biscuits for our entree, with a side of carrots. We could only each eat half, as there was so much of this melt in your mouth dish. Of course, as usual, this all was accompanied by their signature Sally Lunn bread and orange sweet rolls. And you cannot go to this restaurant without having some of Dawn's wonderful pie. We always adore their French Silk Chocolate Pie but they also had fresh in season Peach Pie today. My husband and I usually just split a dessert but today we got a piece of each of these and split them so we did not have to decide between the two. This place never disappoints. It is a bit out of the way for many, but believe me it is worth the trip.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

I've been coming to the Holloway House for almost seventy years. Now that I live in another state, I visit very infrequently. I was there on a Sunday night and it was surprisingly not busy. Many things are the same: the old, historic building, the green Killarny Cress, the Schrub, the angel food cake with marshmallow frosting. I miss the Grandfather clock at the top of the stairs. I understand that they had to reduce wait staff and that is evident, service was quite slow. Portions were good and you can upgrade to a complete meal (includes relish tray, etc) which is probably more that is necessary. The bread was not up to the previous standards. As commented on by another reviewer, the orange rolls didn't have much flavor and they (along with the Sally Lund bread) was a bit on the stale side. Prices have gone up quite a bit so this is an occasional indulgence. But it is nice in this world that is constantly changing to have a place that is timeless.

Reviewed 13 August 2017

While this place is old and creaky, the food here is still excellent and the waitstaff are very nice.

Reviewed 19 June 2017

My family has had many brunches, etc at the Holloway House, however that was years ago when it was good. I drove from Ontario to Geneseo to pick up my Father and take him to a Father's Day Buffet. We were seated in a cramped corner which wasn't necessary because there were many empty tables around. The buffet consisted of bacon, hard little sausages, ok Fritatta, the blandest mac n cheese ever, hard chunks of chicken in cold chicken gravy, shrimp newburg that barely had shrimp in it, some weird fish dish, slices of prime rib that were flavorless and too tough to cut or chew and some assorted salads. The broccoli salad was good and the pasta salad was ok, but the rest were not. They also had stuffing and sliced turkey with gravy. The turkey, gravy and stuffing was delicious. There were no hot vegetables and no mashed potatoes.....just these hard little homefry type potatoes that did not blend in with the meal. There was no pie, cake or cheesecake or any desirable dessert. There were some tiny cream puffs, chocolate mouse, hard little dried up brownie things and sour strawberries. All and all, for the $25.99 price we were charged it was the skimpiest, most tasteless buffet I have ever been to. The only good part of the meal was the very pleasant and attentive waitress. I have been to Father's Day and Mother's Day brunches and buffets at many other places for half the price and twice the food and tasty, not bland food. Definitely will never be back.

3  Thank Christie G
dawn w, Owner at The Holloway House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2017

Your review was very upsetting to us and we are very sorry that you were so disappointed in your meal. Everything was made fresh that morning and there is no reason anything should have been cold. Am sorry you found the desserts "undesirable", there was a strawberry pound cake there and little chocolate cupcakes, the cream puffs, coco-nut cream tarts, chocolate-peanut butter bars, hot strawberry-rhubarb crisp, fresh fruit, and chocolate mousse. Thank you for your input, we will look into all of these things you mentioned.