Pita Gourmet
Ranked #4 of 113 Restaurants in Cortland
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed 23 August 2015

We dined at Pita Gourmet for the first time yesterday evening, and our first visit will not be our last. The restaurant is about an hour and a quarter from our home, but the food and service were so superb that I consider it a "destination" restaurant for us from now on. Lebanese versions of traditional Mediterranean cuisine are an intriguing change from the standard Greek fare most of us are used to. We were told that they also serve chicken curry every Wednesday, which is a top seller. The dining room is small and pleasantly decorated, with soft, indirect lighting. Every bit of food is made fresh, from genuine family recipes. We had the vegetarian platter, a Fattoush salad and an order of meat-stuffed grape leaves, plus iced tea and a dessert we had no business ordering, given how stuffed we were. The mixed vegetarian platter combines falafel and salad topped with tomatoes and yummy tahini with three small helpings of hummous, baba ganush and tabouleh--party in the mouth! The salad was interestingly spicy, and my husband devoured the grape leaves in record time. The food was accompanied by a basket of pita triangles, so I had fun making little pita roll-ups of various items from my vegetarian platter--easy to share with dining companions that way, too. Not to be missed is the iced tea, made in house and enhanced with seven spices; I could identify mint, cardamom, cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg, I think; then I gave up trying. We were talked into ordering the rice pudding, and I am SO glad we decided to. It is made fresh every day in house--creamy goodness topped with cinnamon and sugar--unquestionably the best we have ever tasted. Look at the menu online and notice all those red hearts denoting heart-healthy choices, a point of pride with the proprietor, who told us Pita Gourmet offers more heart-healthy choices than any other restaurant in Central New York. So if you are anywhere in the region, stop reading, get in your car and head for Pita Gourmet!

1  Thank Shoeprof

Reviewed 16 August 2015 via mobile

We stopped off here on our way to northern NY. The restaurant is downtown but not far off 81. We got the Fantastic Five appetizer and it was plenty for my husband and I to share. The baba was wonderful, probably the best I've ever had. I'm gluten free and the waitress brought me sliced cucumbers to use instead of pita which was perfect. Included in our order was hummus, grape leaves, falafel, and tabbouleh. We'd stop here again if we're ever in the area. Staff was very friendly and efficient.

Reviewed 13 August 2015

Once again, Pita Gourmet provided delicious hummus and babaganoush for us to take to a summer dinner party. You make our laziness on our Saturday afternoon look brilliant! Delicious as always. Thank you!

Reviewed 29 July 2015 via mobile

A Lebanese family has operated this restaurant in Cortland for many years, with the younger generation now handling day to day business. A local favorite, one set of friends ate here every Friday night until they moved away. My younger daughter loves the chicken kebabs. I am addicted to felafel balls, which I grew to love one year when I lived in Israel. Each spring my church has a Middle Eastern meal on Maundy Thursday, and we get some of our dishes here...like stuffed grape leaves and pita bread.
The food isn't real fancy, which if the restaurant were located in Ithaca, it would need to be. Instead it's kind of like homestyle, but it's Middle Eastern instead of American. It suits Cortland well and has been a town & college favorite over 20 years.
Bring cash... they don't mess with credit cards.

Reviewed 4 July 2015

Pita Gourmet has been our go-to restaurant when we're too tired to cook since it opened 19 yrs. ago. The food always tastes homemade & is our daughter's comfort food. The prices are very reasonable because we're not paying for super-sized portions. The owners couldn't be friendlier & greatly add to the communal feel of the restaurant.