“Love the amusement park but the hotel need to improve restaurant options and service”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Darien Center
Lodge on the Lake Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Darien Center
Reviewed 30 August 2015

I have stayed at this hotel annually for the past 10 years. I am not a fan of camping so we stay at the lodge and usually get a kids suite. The hotel is compatible to a Days Inn. It serves a purpose - close to the amusement park, nice outdoor pool, reasonably priced. That said, I find that I know more than the staff does about the local amenities, the amusement park and restaurant options. When I check out of the hotel, the staff have never once asked me if everything was ok. The lodge does not have a 1-800 number (they want everything done by web). It can be noisy so don't stay here if you are looking to sleep in. A picnic table was positioned near our room so we heard loud smokers outside at night or kids bouncing a ball before 7:45 a.m. This email is not meant to come across as negative as I would not keep going back if I didn't value the family vacation destination. I want to see them succeed but they need to invest in training and motivating their team. Please also move the picnic tables away from rooms. We will be back next year and hope to see progress as we are loyal visitors. The amusement park is awesome.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor so you don't hear families above you.
2  Thank hipmomandwife

Reviewed 26 August 2015

Just returned from a 2-day stay at Lodge on the Lake. There is plenty of parking and check-in was a breeze, no crowds when we arrived at 1pm. The setting is much like a smaller-scale Great Wolf Lodge motif, only a little understated. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived so we went to the park. When we returned at 3 we were given our room on the second-floor. As soon as I opened the door the first thing I saw was a large rip in the sofa upholstery. No big deal, but not the best way to start. We also found the room to be pretty small, contrary to some reviews here that suggested the rooms were big.

That said, the hotel is clean and the staff is friendly, and you really cannot beat the convenience of a 5-minute walk around the lake to the theme park. The kids enjoyed the pool there as well, although a hot tub would also be nice.

We are not campers, so this is really the best choice if you're going to Darien Lake.

Room Tip: Get a first-floor room nearer the lobby- it might be a little noisier but your feet will thank you a...
2  Thank Smoochy W
Reviewed 13 August 2015

Just returned from 3 days at this hotel and amusement park. We actually had one more night and checked out a day early. I usually am very fair on my reviews and try to list the positive but I can not find really anything positive to say. The minute we walked in the park first day of our trip after driving 3 hours it started to thunder the whole park was shut down. Now I know they can not do anything about weather and it is for everyone to be safe. But what do they have to offer when this happens? NOTHING!! We told the girls we would go back to the room and make popcorn and rent a movie. Well that is not possible. They don't have movies. Called down to front desk they said some rooms have DVD players but our room did not. Ok well we will find a movie on the tv.. When doing that we noticed our volume did not work. Called down they sent a very nice maintenance man up and he said he would have to get us a new tv. That's fine we were happy with that. Until MICHELLE called from front desk and gave attitude and said she could move us to a different room but that was the only solution. Well think about this lets move 5 people that are already unpacked refrigerator stocked and by this time very cranky! She was rude and said she would have the manager call me. 5 minutes later MICHELLE called back and said they were sending a new tv. So why get me aggravated with her attitude? Is that not what I would be happy with in the first place? Anyway the man came switched the cable did not even replace the tv and we had volume! In 5 minutes the problem was fixed! Next morning we go for our breakfast what a nightmare!!! We were told to seat ourself if we could find a clean table! None were clean. When I asked the girl when they were going to be clean she said I am all you got. So when I get to it I will. Apparently they had a lot of call ins that day. So we had to clean our own table!! My daughter wanted milk for her cereal they said we could not have milk. They then removed the ceral off the line and other parents were asking well can we at least eat it dry?? With attitude the girl put it back out. The next morning at breakfast we could not have toast because the toaster was broke! Want syrup? Not here! The energy in the restaurant was so not good because everywhere you looked someone was mad about something! The park was fun when the rides were going but I really don't think this is a place you want to stay for more than one day. They say there are new owners well I hope he makes changes soon. Because this used to be a great place to stay!!

2  Thank MaryJo G
Reviewed 3 August 2015

We always enjoy our stay here! This is our 6th visit...our kids are 13 and 9 and it has something for everyone. It's nice to only drive a few hours and feel like your on vacation.

Stayed for 4 days...still here!

It was quite hot while we were here so we got to enjoy the water park...our son loved the new brain drain!

It's an older park but we like that...lots of character ...we love playing fascination at the Penny arcade...please never get rid of this game!

We have noticed many improvements...which we appreciate.
Grounds are cleaner
Most of the rides are running
Landscaping well cared for
Ignite the night updated and awesome!

We enjoy staying at the hotel and the management and their team are very helpful and professional! If we ever have a problem or concern they always try to resolve it.

Areas for improvement would be
~Healthier sides then just fries...after awhile it is hard to find food that is not fried...we did enjoy the onsite Italian restaurant though
~cleanliness of some of the washrooms
~attitude of some of the ride attendants ....they could be quite rude
~clear hours of when rides open???we would be told one thing and then get to a ride and be told another...park opens at 10:30 ... water park opens 11 am ... not sure why the log ride opens later since it is not in the waterpark? We did not appreciate how we were spoken to in front of our children by the older women operating the ride....really uncalled for...the gate to the ride was open...that is why we and several other people entered...remember we're here for fun.

Overall awesome stay.

Hints
Bring healthy snacks...there is a small fridge in the room..trust me you will crave healthy food after awhile...lol
General store has a little of everything you need but not much in the fruits and veggies so better to stop before or bring from home...just check what you can bring cross border if visiting from canada
Bring blanket to sit on during ignite the night show. Starts at 10 pm
Hoel has a nice little snack bar. Serves pizza till 11pm and timmies coffee in the morning
We found it better to bring Canadian currency since they accept it everywhere and at a better rate then if we had exchanged at a bank back home

Room Tip: All rooms pretty much the same...you can upgrade to pool view
3  Thank Happygotravel2014
Reviewed 17 July 2015

Nice clean spacious rooms. Fridge in room was nice. Would like a microwave but one was down the hall by ice machine. Close to theme park. Nice walk along the lake. Web site said pool side grills but only one. need more! We did not get to eat until 11:00 pm. Staff was pleasant but when trying to add another night for half price, they did not know how to do it. The manager, who i cant remember her name, was awesome and took care of it. My only real complaint was no restaurant on site. A little food window that charged way too much! $6.99 for a breakfast bagel seems a little high!. All the hotel had to offer was pizza. Pool was nice but a little small. Beds were very comfy. Would absolutely stay there again.

Room Tip: We chose pool view.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
River Spring Lodge
#1 of 1 in Darien Center
0 km away
Darien Lake Amusment and Water Park Campground

Been to Lodge on the Lake Hotel? Share your experiences!