“Great views , Great food”

Half Moon Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 39 Restaurants in Dobbs Ferry
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed 6 November 2017 via mobile

The views in daylight and sunset are fantastic. Service is excellent as well. The food is your typical American menu. Burgers, stake, fried chicken and seafood. I had the salmon and it was delicious. Cooked perfectly on a bed of sweet potatoes. I wanted to try the lobster roll but the market price that day was $55 and that is just crazy so I settled for the salmon. Prices can be very expensive here. Burgers, fried chicken and Salmon are moderately priced but the rest is expensive. So be prepared mentally and financially before you take a group there. The bill will add up quickly.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

The beauty of this place is very special. The view of the Hudson River, and building and atmosphere are phenomenal. But my praise ends there. I had the "chik-a-ronnes' for an appetizer. These are supposed to be similar to bonelss wings. But every one I bit in to was filled with chicken cartilage and joints. I swear, the nuggest at McDonald's are gourmet compared to these. They do not come with any dipping sauce/dressing, but if you want some (in less than a shot glass amount), they will provide it for you -- at an added cost of $2.00 (!!!). The entree was fine; nothing wrong with it, but it was average. I had the half-roasted chicken, which was very moist but it had little flavor. The mashed potatoes were good, but again, nothing special. My dinner also came with an overabundance of deep fried onions -- that weren't cooked enough. The breading was a little soggy. Too bad because I think they would have been delicious if they'd been cooked just a minute longer. Dessert was NY cheesecake which was great.
The scenery is stunning and the atmosphere is extraordinarily comfortable. It really is a beautiful place. But if you go there, go for the scenery and don't expect much from the food -- except a steep bill. You are definitely paying for the view, not the quality of food. Honestly, I've had better meals at the local diner, though one of my friends said his steak was quite good. The service was fine, but nothing out of the ordinary. In the end, this place is just way too overpriced for what is delivered. There are many restaurants along the Hudson River....go to one of those instead if you want a view and a satisfying meal. Just a disappointing experience.

1  Thank Sooz I
Reviewed 25 October 2017

food was ok, nothing special but service was poor. took forever to track down waitress for condiments and by the time they came food was cold. another waitress offered to get them for us earlier but never came back.

1  Thank stevensusan
Reviewed 21 October 2017

It had your basic fare. You could eat inside or outside. The view is what makes the restaurant stand out however.
Drinks a bit pricey for Dobbs Ferry.
May go back when looking for a peaceful dinner with an outstanding view.

Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

We decided to enjoy the beautiful weather having lunch with good friends in Dobbs Ferry. The location and views at Half Moon are beautiful. Our waitress Miriam was very good. Our friends had burgers which they enjoyed. We shared steamed dumplings as an appetizer which were good, although pricey, $16 for 6. My friend and I shared a pastrami sandwich which was a big disappointment. The meat was very dry and the plate was filled with fries. I told the waitress that it was not a good sandwich, but she did not offer to take it off the bill.
We ordered cheesecake for dessert which was good, especially the salted caramel one. The total for lunch was $115.00 and there were no alcoholic beverages ordered. We all felt this was expensive for a mediocre lunch. Enjoy the view and do not expect great food.