“Great food, friendly staff”

Old Dock House & Marina
Ranked #5 of 5 Restaurants in Essex
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Ordered a two-course meal with family and friends. I'm still dreaming of the coconut shrimp - something you should definitely get if you find yourself in Essex. It was quite due to them not having a liquor license, something they are getting. The chef came out to talk to us after eating. No one I ate with had nay complaints

1  Thank aedinmcadams

Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

I will try not to whine about the lack of wine since the food was pretty good. Unfortunately, after traveling for seven hours, we drove out of our way to get to what we were sure would be a calm, inviting, and relaxing end of journey dinner by the lake. We timed it just right to get the Essex-Charlotte ferry home, with over an hour for dinner. The view didn't disappoint, and it is obvious they have made a few improvements and upgrades.
However, when asked if we would like to start with a drink we replied, "Yes! Can we see your wine list, please?"
"Actually, right now we don't even have a liquor license, so there is none."
"Water will be fine, thank you. What is your cold soup of the day?" (a feature prominently offered on the menu).
"There is none. All we have is the clam chowder."
Disappointed twice in that short little interaction, we settled on menu options and placed our order. Within a couple of minutes another party was seated nearby and their server rattled off some specials of the day. Hhhmmm. We didn't know there were specials.....
"And our cold soup of the day is strawberry...."
Dang it! I love strawberry anything! But, it was too late by then. Our meal was good, save for a lack of the yummy mushroom-Cognac peppercorn sauce that would have made my filet even more awesome and a tad too much salt on the veggies. Once they have their liquor license back (I'm not sure I want to know why they no longer have a liquor license,) maybe their staff will be better trained and the summer could turn out to be a success for this old icon.
There you have it folks: no whining, just the facts.

2  Thank knewspring
Reviewed 25 March 2017

We visited on a perfect late summer day. We ate on the lakeside deck, enjoyed the view of the lake, Vermont mountains and watching the ferry. They were very busy, but the service was friendly, the food and drinks good. We will definitely visit again!

Reviewed 18 October 2016

The view from the deck at sunset was perfect. The menu had a good assortment of traditional summer favorites with some elegant dishes to boot. Service was fair, full deck at the end of the season and good help with great suggestions as to wine for pairing with meal and fun drinks to have while waiting. The "Adult Ketchup" was great and bought all 3 kinds! Wish I had gone sooner since it's so close to home. Parking is a bit on the difficult side - either on the street - with great shops to window shop in - or in the very small lot behind restaurant.

Reviewed 12 September 2016

I actually do not know where to start. We have been going to the Essex NY area for 40 years approximately. The Old Dock has never changed through multiple incarnations and reincarnations. No matter whoever is running it it is always mediocre. The food is relentlessly uninspired and pricey. The service is usually just OK. Because of the convenience, I always want it to be better, but it never is. Will I go back? No!