“Dinner By the Lake”

Price range: US$0 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 August 2017

We visited The Old Dock for dinner earlier this month when visiting the Adirondacks. The four of us totally enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the restaurant located on the banks of Lake Champlain. The car ferry departed and arrived from time to time. My husband and cousin enjoyed the Smoked Trout - a whole trout served with vegetables, my cousin's wife had the Seafood Chowder followed by the Dock House Flatbread and I ordered the Kale Salad comprising avocado, tomato, red onion, sliced egg, dried cranberries, cajun spiced pecans with bleu cheese dressing - an absolutely amazing combination. The mains were followed up with shared desserts - Apple Pie and Pecan Pie. We voted the Pecan Pie as the best - it had just come out of the oven and was delicious with a chocolately taste. Thanks to Liz for her recommendations and great service. A relaxing and enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Appealing outdoor dining on the lakeshore, but the food wasn't as good as we had expected. The flatbread we ordered included tasteless tomato slices that possibly could be acceptable in the middle of winter, but are totally unacceptable in mid-August when tomatoes ripen on the vine deliciously all around Essex. The presentation was bland as well. We had heard that the food here had improved greatly, but unfortunately that wasn't our experience. We hope more attention will be paid to food quality.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I love the Old Dock House & Marina because of its location on Lake Champlain. They have added some more docks this year and on a Tuesday night we easily found a spot for our 35' boat.

They have a pretty diverse menu and I had a hard time deciding what to eat. I ended up getting the crab cake appetizer and the Kale Salad. The crab cakes were more panko or bread crumbs than crab and I was disappointed. My salad should have had avocado and blue cheese and it arrived without either. I noticed the missing blue cheese right off and the waitress brought it promptly. I didn't realize the avocado was missing until I was almost done the salad and went without.
The rest of party had wings, burgers, lobster roll, Caesar salad, and steak. The BBQ wings were chewy but my son said his buffalo wings were moist. The Cajun sweet potato fries didn't have as much of a kick as my daughter had hoped. The Caesar salad was meager but the burgers were sizable though both people who ordered burgers thought they had been cooked more than they had ordered. I guess better than under cooked.
I had heard it was under new management. The large group tables are new and I would love to have one for our summer home!
Despite some of the meal problems, we will be back. Can't beat the beautiful views of the Greens Mountains and Lake Champlain.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

,Went last night for dinner..had the duck breast ..superb. .juicy and moist..my honey had the rib eye just as yummy. .dessert was to die for...our waitress was wonderful!

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Staff seems indifferent; food not very interesting and pretty pricey for what it was. Great location - they need to make more of it.