“Dinner By the Lake”

Price range: US$0 - US$20
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 August 2017

We visited The Old Dock for dinner earlier this month when visiting the Adirondacks. The four of us totally enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the restaurant located on the banks of Lake Champlain. The car ferry departed and arrived from time to time. My husband and cousin enjoyed the Smoked Trout - a whole trout served with vegetables, my cousin's wife had the Seafood Chowder followed by the Dock House Flatbread and I ordered the Kale Salad comprising avocado, tomato, red onion, sliced egg, dried cranberries, cajun spiced pecans with bleu cheese dressing - an absolutely amazing combination. The mains were followed up with shared desserts - Apple Pie and Pecan Pie. We voted the Pecan Pie as the best - it had just come out of the oven and was delicious with a chocolately taste. Thanks to Liz for her recommendations and great service. A relaxing and enjoyable evening.

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I would give zero stars if I could! We have been to the Old Dock many times, we arrived by boat and were quiet a large party. The restaurant was not even half full and we were told that it would be quiet a long wait... okay, off to the bar where we sat (2 bartenders) and waited over 20 minutes for a drink. One bartender totally ignored us and would not even make eye contact. After an hour we inquired about our table and were again told we would have to wait... there were SEVERAL empty table that would large enough for our group. Another 20 minutes and we went back and asked the hostess AGAIN.... they finally seat us..... at 3 separate tables, all the large tables were still empty and remained so the whole time we were there... over 3 hours. We ordered our food and then were told to quite down (outside on the deck????) there was no one even around us?? Half our party had finished their food before the rest even got theirs, which arrived cold. I had the calamari which has been good in the past..... this time it was over fried to the point it was rubber inside and COLD.... Our concerns were ignored. We waited all summer for them to get their liquor license before floating over and we were sadly disappointed. The location is superb, but you need more staff and they need to be better trained and friendlier until the we will not be back.

2  Thank KWags1998
Reviewed 18 August 2017

Appealing outdoor dining on the lakeshore, but the food wasn't as good as we had expected. The flatbread we ordered included tasteless tomato slices that possibly could be acceptable in the middle of winter, but are totally unacceptable in mid-August when tomatoes ripen on the vine deliciously all around Essex. The presentation was bland as well. We had heard that the food here had improved greatly, but unfortunately that wasn't our experience. We hope more attention will be paid to food quality.

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

I love the Old Dock House & Marina because of its location on Lake Champlain. They have added some more docks this year and on a Tuesday night we easily found a spot for our 35' boat.

They have a pretty diverse menu and I had a hard time deciding what to eat. I ended up getting the crab cake appetizer and the Kale Salad. The crab cakes were more panko or bread crumbs than crab and I was disappointed. My salad should have had avocado and blue cheese and it arrived without either. I noticed the missing blue cheese right off and the waitress brought it promptly. I didn't realize the avocado was missing until I was almost done the salad and went without.
The rest of party had wings, burgers, lobster roll, Caesar salad, and steak. The BBQ wings were chewy but my son said his buffalo wings were moist. The Cajun sweet potato fries didn't have as much of a kick as my daughter had hoped. The Caesar salad was meager but the burgers were sizable though both people who ordered burgers thought they had been cooked more than they had ordered. I guess better than under cooked.
I had heard it was under new management. The large group tables are new and I would love to have one for our summer home!
Despite some of the meal problems, we will be back. Can't beat the beautiful views of the Greens Mountains and Lake Champlain.

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

,Went last night for dinner..had the duck breast ..superb. .juicy and moist..my honey had the rib eye just as yummy. .dessert was to die for...our waitress was wonderful!