“A very pleasant surprise”

Rolling Spring Roll
Ranked #12 of 132 Restaurants in Farmingdale
Cuisines: Vietnamese, Street Food
Reviewed 22 November 2016

A friend suggested Rolling Spring Roll so we took a shot. Turned out great! Food was really good. The wait staff, Jamie and Rudy, were excellent. They helped us order, gave us instructions, and were very cheerful. They worked really well together. Had shrimp summer rolls (that looked like artwork) short ribs and a Pho. ALL really good. We will return and recommend to friends.

Reviewed 20 October 2016

Let me start by saying that going here was my first experience with Vietnamese food. I have no knowledge of what makes a good or bad pho, as this was my first time trying it at all.

The restaurant is fairly small, only about a dozen tables. When I got there I had to wait about 10 minutes for a table to open up, as they were all filled (I went around 1AM on a weekday). It looked clean enough, and is easy to find right on the main street of Farmingdale. The staff were all very friendly, but they did seem short staffed. There were two waiters on the floor, and about 6 tables each should be manageable for them, but there was a constant flow of take out orders that seemed to keep them distracted. I did see a "help wanted" sign on the door, hopefully it's to help relieve some of the load for these types of situations.

Now the food. I orders the spring rolls and the pho bo. I liked the fact that I was able to chose to order a "small" portion of spring rolls. The small order gave me 4 rolls, with some dipping sauce on the side. The rolls were crispy and fresh out of the fryer. They had a great taste, and I really liked the dipping sauce it came with.

Now the star of the show, the pho bo. One thing I really liked is that they offer three bowl sizes. I went with the small, which was more than enough when coupled with the spring rolls. They also, as appears typical, provide a whole bunch of items you can add in: basil, fresh bean sprouts, lime, and of course the bottles of sriracha and hoisen sauce. This is one of the things I really like about the idea of pho, the fact that you have this soup, but you participate in the process of creating its flavor. Want more spice? Add more sauce. Want some more crunch? Add the bean sprouts. It's just fun. Without adding a thing to the soup, I'd still say you've got a very flavorful experience, but using the addins, and tweaking the flavor allows you to customize it how you like it. The broth itself tasted very flavorful. The noodles were perfectly cooked. I read a review of somebody unhappy with the red onion on the soup, I really enjoyed the flavor it added (once again, I have no preconceptions of what pho should or shouldn't be). The sliced meat was delicious, and almost melted in my mouth. There were some other meat pieces in the bowl, I think these were the "meatballs", but I'm not certain. I wasn't a fan of these, the texture wasn't very pleasing for me.

Overall I liked it. I went about a week ago, and have been thinking about it ever since. I will have to go again.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

So I was sitting around wondering what to have for lunch and suddenly felt the need for a "Pho Fix". Off I drove to the Rolling Spring Roll in Farmingdale.I had been there before and this may be my second review. Simple order for me Phở Bò and summer rolls. Summer rolls came first, as close as one can get to the real deal in Vietnam with a quite tasty peanut sauce. Now for the Phở Bò. It was hot and steamy, fragrant with something that I believe was star anise. Served properly with lime, bean sprouts and basil on the side. I dug right in with my đôi đũa, chopsticks, offered Vietnam style along with forks in a metal jar on the table. The Phở Bò was perfect for the cool dreary day outside and warmed me body and soul making me yearn for my next visit to Vietnam and the chance to endulge myself in Vietnamese cuisine once again. My only issue with most American Vietnamese restaurants Phở Bò is the use of chicken stock in place of the rich hearty and well seasoned beef stock that is used in Vietnam and that starts out with the simmering for hours of roasted beef marrow bones. I even found a small piece of ức gà, chicken breast, in my Phở Bò. I have asked before why and the answer is always "American tastes, and takes too much time". None the less the Phở Bò was quite good and I recommend it to anyone other than a Vietnamese who knows and loves the real deal. Try The Rolling Spring Roll, I think you will like it, small and unpretentious nestled in Farmingdales "downtown" Main Street near the railroad tracks. If I would suggest anything to the owner it would be to play Vietnamese music rather than the American soft pop music that was playing during my visit. The soothing melodic kind and not the pop, rock, rap, hip hop that the young Vietnamese now adore.

Reviewed 27 September 2016

Tasty, Tasty, Tasty. Great Pho & Summer/Spring Rolls. A Simple Restaurant Serving simple food - no pretentious fusion dishes.

Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

We've eaten there several times over the past year and have never been disappointed. Good quality, tasty and it won't break the bank!

1  Thank Patrick M