“Passable”

International Buffet Incorporated
Ranked #57 of 136 Restaurants in Garden City
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

My friends and I go here on the first Sunday of December for lunch.

Pluses:

Minuses:
* Crowded during weekend lunch
(Dinner is $7 more)

* Ladies’ room is unkempt

I don’t eat seafood, so I won’t comment about the quality of the sushi, shrimp or crabmeat.

I never ate here for dinner, though I suspect there would be a bigger selection.

In general, I stick to basic items (fruits, veggies, rice and chicken) and do okay. I never get gung-ho about buffets. Food that has been sitting under a heating lamp can’t compare to made-to-order dishes.

Reviewed 10 December 2017

DJ's International Buffet, has been in the past, one of the better buffets on Long Island as far as the quality of their food goes. We've been going there for many years, before it closed for a long time to renovate, and since.

It has a wide variety of fresh sushi, salads, hot specialties, grill items and desserts. It can still be a great experience, but there are times when it's challenging to eat here as I'll explain because even though they've had quality food over the years, it's not always easy to get it, which really ruins the dining experience.

For example, the past few times, they've been beyond really cheap about putting out peel and eat shrimp! You come up to the food station, only to longingly look at an empty expanse of ice in utter disappointment!! Where ARE the SHRIMP?

Then if you ASK for them to bring out the shrimp, they tell you it's coming out soon, and still doesn't appear for ages. The last time we were there, you literally had to grab the shrimp while you could, because it would take another 1/2 hour before they'd put them out, seriously? You also had to worry about beating others waiting for them to come out, to the punch! It's really not fun gazing longingly at an empty expanse of ice, waiting in anticipation of a peel and eat shrimp infusion!

Of course, if you did beat your fellow anxious shrimp enthusiasts, and you want to take a decent amount, then they give you a dirty look because they've been waiting, and you didn't leave enough shrimp for them. That's because when they did finally put them out, there were barely any even if you scooped up every last one. I literally had to pick through tons of ice to retrieve about 25 shrimps from the entire ice tray after they came out finally with them. I really do think that peel and eat shrimp, a staple at most any buffet you may frequent, is a given. They should be plentiful at all times, with no ice age in between! It never used to be that way, but has been the past few times we've been there. I have to say, it's a big, BIG turnoff.

This is not just with the shrimp, I also feel like they purposely don't refill things while you're there if they see that you take a lot of something. For example, if you like a certain kind of sushi, and take several pieces of that and empty a tray, you may go back up for more, and they purposely won't refill the tray. They watch you and what you take like it's theirs and it's coming out of their pocket, and I resent that. It's best to give them $1 tip just to keep them happy but that should not be the case. They will make you rolls specially on request and that is always something I tip again for. Unfortunately, when I asked for plain spicy salmon avocado, it was way TOO spicy when they custom made it, so I now stick to the ones they make.

One thing I really hate in sushi or anything, is cucumber, and they put it in practically every roll, which ruins most of them for me, as even when you remove it, the cucumber flavor already ruined the food next to it. They make big fancy rolls, which are nice, but I don't know what's in them, and I really don't like such contrived rolls with so many different mysterious ingredients. The salmon sushi is my favorite, and it's excellent when you can get it, but like I said, if you want to take a large amount, they'll likely hold back on refilling the tray until they see you leave. Not cool.

They have some nice ribs on Saturday, and more grill items on the weekend than during the week. I like when they have teriyaki beef sticks which have been great, but last time they made them so spicy, and I took 4 and couldn't eat them.

Desserts are nice, sometimes they have a tiramisu that is just heavenly, decent flan, excellent cheesecake, and a self serve ice cream station along with pastries. Parents, please supervise your children around the ice cream station!

As far as the look of the place, although it was renovated, it is really not a great looking place compared to others on Long Island. There's no nice lighting, tables are smallish and cramped, and there are only about 5 booths, the rest are tables for 4 or 6. It's not the most attractive place, except for a room for parties near the bathroom that is purple and green. They should improve the rest of their decor, which is not particularly attractive at all.

Most of their service is friendly, Sandy is great, and Lisa is also very nice.

The worst thing here is their dreadful bathrooms, it's absolutely UNACCEPTABLE! I don't know what goes on in the men's room, but the ladies room is beyond awful. It was renovated, and now it is worse than before? Yes, worse. The new sinks are OK, but that's not the problem. There are 4 booths in the ladies room, 3 regular, one handicapped. There isn't a single booth that doesn't have a huge gap between the door and the frame of the booth, so literally you are on display to anyone walking in and out, or by the sinks.

Then sometimes, the main door is simply wide open so when a man is passing by to go in the opposite door, he can look in and problem see you in there too. It is beyond an uncomfortable experience! I've never seen anything quite as ridiculously shameful.

How could they leave it like this too, like it's perfectly fine?? Why couldn't they get doors that FULLY FIT the frames and actually COVER the inside of the booth when closed? No one wants at least an inch on EACH SIDE of the door! Some of them don't lock properly either, but believe me, it's NO problem seeing if someone is in there, so you definitely won't accidentally walk in on anyone! Please fix the ladies room bathroom stall doors! I should not have to make a long toilet paper curtain to hang over the gaps between the door and frames for privacy. Beyond ridiculous to feel like everyone is watching you at a time that everyone wants total privacy. They do have a clever wrist pull installed on the main door so you don't have to touch the handle on the way out. That's the ONLY plus.

Despite the aforementioned minuses, I would overall, recommend DJ's International Buffet, because the food is far better than most average buffet fare, especially if they refill the sushi and furnish peel and eat shrimp in some abundance and frequency, and not act like it's coming out of their pockets if you dare take too much for their liking.

Again, YOU NEED TO FIX THE LADIES ROOM DOORS!

5  Thank DiningWithWolfs
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

You don't even get what you pay for. They over charge for what you get. The sushi was a joke. It was one of the worst buffets I have ever been in. I recommend looking elsewhere.

2  Thank ragecore
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Although not impressive from the road nor from their generous parking lot, once inside is discovered an outstanding international buffet. Spotless and well staffed with attentive cheerful young people, awaits a wonderful and generous and very delicious buffet. My favorite area was the sushi table where there were dozens of freshly prepared interesting offerings. Nice bottled beer selection-only $3.50 a beer. Nothing skimp on the desert tables including tiramisu and plan. Bargain is even better with senior discount. Strongly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

After coming out of jones beach on labor, my family and I decided to look for a seafood buffet. We went on like to look for one near by and we found International Buffet Incorporated and I have to say I loved it. The food was so good and fresh and the service was great. All you can eat for a good price. What else can you wait for on Labor Day? I highly recommend it. Amazing!!!