“Nice spot”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

We stopped in Geneseo to take our daughter to dinner and even though we had been coming to this town for 5 years with our college age children, we had never eaten at the Big Tree Inn. Apparently, our daughter has been here many times as she was quite the expert on the menu. She said we had to start with the Lobster Arancini and she was correct! I could have eaten just that for dinner! We all had the strip steak and it was perfect. The dessert tempted us but we were too full.

Jaimie C, General Manager at Big Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Thank you very much for dining with us. We are very happy that your daughter enjoys the Big Tree and brought you in. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

I have been to the Big Tree Inn several times in the last few years. This time, sadly, I was visiting with a family who was there for a memorial service. We had a reserved table for a rather large group (approx 8-10 people) in a quiet corner of one of the more private rooms. At dinner we were sharing stories about the person for whom the memorial service was held. You wouldn't think it would be fun, but it was.

Our waitress was very attentive and provided excellent service without intruding in our conversation. The food was excellent; everyone was pleased with their meal, whether it was a hamburger or a more specialized entree. Some people had drinks; others did not. The only glitch was that the waitress forgot my glass of wine but quickly corrected that when I nudged her.

I ordered a hamburger and fries; I wanted comfort food. The burger was cooked exactly right; the chef left off the onions as requested; the fries were really good but I couldn't eat the oh-so-large serving. Sometimes I haven't quite received the best of food here and was happy this time, given the circumstances, that all was well.

A special shout-out goes to the bartender who is a regular there. A few of us first started in the tavern bar and then made our way to dinner. The bartender was particularly nice and especially friendly. When we returned to the tavern after dinner, we had great service again. Our group continued to grow with late arrivals (who had missed dinner), and the bartender never flinched about taking on extra orders. Interestingly, the next day after the memorial service, he was again the bartender at the reception. He was more quiet and reserved, as expected in reverence for the type of occasion, but just as promptly served everyone who wanted soda, liquor, or wine.

This was one of the best experiences I have at the Big Tree Inn, despite the reason for my being there.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

My daughter goes to the local university and have eaten in many of the local places. My daughter had money left over at the end of the semester and went to the Big Tree Inn and ordered the salmon dish and said it was excellent. Well, she wasn’t kidding. I was 100% happy with the hot bread with delicious garlic and oil side to dip, followed by a salad (that comes with the salmon dish) with homemade salad dressing that was awesome. We also ordered the Brussel sprout app that my wife and I both raved about the entire meal. Now for the entree: salmon perfectly cooked over steaming hot risotto with beets, bacon and creamy sauce (I ate mine with no bacon or sauce) IT WAS FANTASTIC! I live in Long Island and work in the city, but have to say that, that was probably the best salmon dish I have ever eaten. (And I eat salmon at least twice a week) Can’t wait to go back! Thank you Katie for your wonderful service and selection of fine beer. Also, my compliments to the chef! Oh, and what a historic place to boot.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jaimie C, General Manager at Big Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Thank you very much, we are glad you had a great experience at the Big Tree. We especially thank your daughter for recommending us. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 January 2018

Hadn't been to the Big Tree in a few years. Met friends there today. I was so surprised, pleasantly so. The ambiance was nice, warm, and inviting. The staff were friendly and efficient. The menu had many choices. I had the beet and goat cheese salad. Very good choice!!! We decided then and there to go back next time we meet in April. I think I'll go there before then and try another one of the menu items.

1  Thank Sandra W
Jaimie C, General Manager at Big Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Sandra,

Welcome back! Thank you for noticing the changes we have been working on. I hope to see you before April.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

Just moved to the area, went here for our wedding anniversary. Beautiful location on Main Street. Lovely historic building and atmosphere. Perfect for a special occasion date night. The waitress was warm and welcoming with good suggestions and good local wine selections. Since it was a friday night I went with their fresh fried fish, was very good. Had a local wine while my husband opted for a Moscow Mule, both were very good. He had steak, which he said was very good. We enjoyed ourselves very much there, also delicious dessert and coffee. *Bonus, beautiful wallpaper in the ladies room - I'm a major bathroom checker-outer and this one was perfectly appointed. Thumbs up!

Jaimie C, General Manager at Big Tree Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2018

Chanel,
Thank you for all you comments. Being a new resident of the Geneseo area, we hope to see you again soon.