“Dirty and reeks of kerosene...”
Review of Washington Square Deli - CLOSED

Washington Square Deli
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Reviewed 2 March 2016

My sister and I went here for lunch recently on a Saturday. The strong smell of kerosene hit us as we walked in. I used the restroom and found the garbage to be overflowing and there were 2 empty soap dispensers by the sink. The bathroom smelled of urine. There was a knock on the door and it was the waitress telling me that she was leaving toilet paper outside the door. There was already toilet paper in the bathroom, so I don't know why she couldn't wait for the bathroom to be unoccupied to restock. Sooo....we sat at least 5 minutes before being acknowledged. We ordered coffee and 2 sandwiches. We were getting more creeped out by this place by the minute and after another 10 minutes without at least getting our coffee, we were thinking of just leaving. Then, out from the kitchen comes a man (the chef?), who (how to say this?)...was far from clean. And that's putting it very politely. I honestly cannot say how the food is here. We walked out. My sister's friend had told us about this place, saying she loved the food here, so it may be very good. My sister and I couldn't wait to step out out of there, for some clean, fresh air. I've never written a bad review before. I just want people to know what they are getting into before they enter the Washington Square Deli. Cleanliness and good service go a long way.

2  Thank oceanlover124

Reviewed 17 September 2015

Always a great sandwich and you have to get some cookies! You can also get food to go. People always ask about this deli when you mention Greenwich.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

The soups are always good as are the sandwiches. We stop there on our way to VT. The gift shop nextdoor is wonderful!!

1  Thank Gail K
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The place is very small but charming with antiques displayed. The food is good but slightly pricey for small town. Service is usually a little slow but worth it in the end.

2  Thank Nancy L W
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I can't say enough good things about the Deli or it's employees. The food is of gargantuan portions and of the utmost quality. I visit delis every time I travel and I have yet to find one that can compare to Washington Square. My only issue is trying to find a seat during the Holidays because everyone that returns home to visit family packs the place. Great food and Great people.

1  Thank ILikeSoup518