“Good sushi”

Kotobuki Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 79 Restaurants in Hauppauge
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 27 September 2016

Years ago we patronized Kotobuki with our then teenage kids on a regular basis, but stopped a couple of years back because it hadn't maintained its original standard of excellence. My husband & I visited again recently, and while some choices were still great (tuna & avocado salad), some are a far cry from 6-8 years back (like the crazy tuna roll, the topping of which is less crispy & crunchy now, due to being more laden with mayo). Our waitress seemed new and sweet but unaware of what order to bring the food. Overall it was a good dinner, but some of my a la carte sushi roll favorites were missing from the menu. :( Oh well. The oysters were not as magical as I remembered, but still tasty. Will we rush back? Not sure. I will say it was a pleasure to be remembered by staff we knew years back-- they are very nice people.

Reviewed 16 September 2016

This place is well hidden in a shopping mall, and you really need a GPS to find it for the first time. A double glass wall separates the restaurant from the parking lot and when you enter, you step into a different world. The interior looks great, the food is excellent, and the service is attentive and fast. There is a HUGE variety of meals, and they are not variations on the same theme, but authentically different. They do not take reservations, and sometimes there is a large crowd waiting to be seated. Pick your time of visit carefully. When we tried to get in with two small children, we were told that there are no child seats, so watch out for that.

Reviewed 27 August 2016

Great sushi spot. Has a huge variety, and very good prices. Highly recommend!

I also especially enjoyed rolls that tempura in them. Tempura was very crisp, and oil tasted fresh.

Reviewed 24 August 2016

This is by far the best sushi I have had. The tuna and advocate salad is so fresh and tasty. I love the specialty roll called tasty boy. They use tuna in this roll

Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

The food at Kotobuki is excellent quality with generous portions. Not surprised that it's popular. It's fun to watch the four sushi chefs at work. The staff handled the crowding skillfully, even when a bird flew through the dining room! He was summarily escorted out. I recommend this restaurant.