“Fabulous”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 January 2015 via mobile

My family and I enjoyed a wonderful evening celebrating our mothers birthday. The service was fantastic, the wine was great and the food and menu phenomenal. Can't say enough nice things. The only negative was the valet parking attendant was very rude when I wanted to park my own car. But our excellent waiter assured me he would have a word with him. Very pleased and looking forward to going back again soon!

1  Thank Jennifer B

Reviewed 11 December 2014

This was a location recommended by the hotel for dinner. It is in a small strip mall like area just off the expressway. It is easy to get to and has good valet parking. The restaurant is Italian throughout and is well decorated. I was there on a Wednesday night about 7:30 so it was not hard to get seated. I did notice a number of regular locals come and go so they do have a solid local following.

Service was slow because the waiters were more interested in watching the beginning of the protests in New York City than paying attention to dinner guests. I asked for a glass of Chardonnay and instead of telling me any choices I got exactly that, a glass of Chardonnay. Not a lot of wine variety here.

For dinner I started with the fried Calamari. Don't wast you time on this one as it probably came out of a frozen box somewhere. No tartar sauce, just a big bowl of marinara sauce. Definitely a negative on the meal. I also had one of the specials - a rib eye steak. It was a good steak but nothing to write how about for the price. No desert because the waiter was busy watching the television. If I go back I will stick purely to the Italian typical dishes to see if the food really is as good as other say.

In the end I thought the place had promise but was disappointed tonight. It was also a lot more expensive than competitive Italian restaurants in the area.

2  Thank Bill M
Reviewed 8 December 2014

We dined here with friends on Saturday. The place was cozy and nicely decorated. We had a reservation so there was no wait for a table. Our waiter seemed nice however, when we asked him for the wine list, we were told that it didn't pay to give it to us since they didn't have most of the wines listed. He asked what type of wine we would like and brought out a bottle that cost $125.00!! We insisted on seeing the wine list, and after 3 tries he finally brought it out, again stating that they were out of most of what was listed. He offered us a chianti classico for $50 and kept saying that was the best he could offer. The appetizers were very good, but we were well into our dinner when we asked him about one that never made it to our table. He first acted surprized that noone brought it to us - then came back with a different story, saying that he tasted it and found it dry so he canceled it.
I would give Cafe La Strada a better rating as the overal quality of the food is very good - but they need to step it up on the wait staff. All in all - we still had a good meal and a great time with our dear friends.

1  Thank Lauradids
Reviewed 3 December 2014

This is a wonderful little restaurant. One of our favorites. Cuisine is Italian of course. You will be surprised to find this unassuming place in a little strip mall just off the LIE offers such wonderful food and service.

I have been here many times... with family, friends, clients and co-workers, lunch and dinner times. The food is uniformly and consistently good. While the menu items are great, listen for the daily specials which includes most of the fresh fish options as well as special entree's, appetizers and desserts. Among my favorites is chicken (or veal) topped with proscuitto and mozarella in a sauce similar to a Marsala sauce. If you want to cut the carbs, go for the veggies on the side which are very good. While I did not have this, some in our parties have had the Basia fish. It is prepared fresh and boned tableside. One outstanding dessert is a mocha flavored tartufo. Excellent. Very rich. Service is outstanding. In particular, we always ask for the waiter named Ken. He is extraordinary. Yes... they take and honor reservations and it's suggested. The decor is probably the only thing I would improve. A restaurant as good as this deserves a great decor. I highly regard this unpretentious but wonderful little place.

Reviewed 28 October 2014

We were seated right away, however, when we asked for the wine menu, the waiter said it didn't pay to give it to us since they didn't have most of the wines listed. That was our first clue! They also ran out of regular menus - apparently there was a big group in the back room and La Strada was not able to handle the additional tables. After waiting 30 minutes, we received our appetizers and two hours later (we were about to walk out) our entrees were served. The specials were ridiculously overpriced (compared to the regular menu). Paying almost $50.00 for an entree only to have it served with (less than)diner quality silverware just completed the evening. One rubbery shrimp entree had to be sent back and it was too late to order anything else. We all took our entrees home as a 10:00pm dinner was too late for any of us to eat. We were not the only table experiencing this debacle, so I expect to see more negative reviews.