Free cancellation until 28/07
  • Breakfast included
Cozy Lodge(Mangochi)
All reviewsbeautiful forestlakesnatureretreathosts
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Its so good that I have been back twice since I took my parents there at Christmas. A place where you can relax, enjoy the forest and outside showers and pool, or take part in some hikes to wonderful places. Well done to Tara and Dave for creating a space to relax as a group, with your (adult) family or solo.
I will be back again soon....

Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

In the bustle of Malawi and world- this little lodge is a real retreat! Hidden up in the hills, overlooking the Mangoshi valley, Tara and Dave, with their loyal local team, have renovated this old English house ,with its outdoor natural dip pool+ extensive parklands into simple, comfortable, peaceful and friendly haven- ever respectful of the history, of the local habitat and especially the local culture. If your budget can extend to it-it's well worth a visit- a very special place, with very special people!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Catherine_Donnelly
Reviewed 25 April 2014

A truly magical place. Tara made us feel so welcome and part of the family.

Namizimu Forest Retreat has given us some of our most memorable times in Malawi. Sitting on the plateau making pottery with two wonderful ladies from the village who astounded us with their skill and wisdom. A walk through the village, so many smiling children and the honour of meeting the village Chief.

Food is wonderful and the showers in the forest are simply inspirational (you can shower in your room, of course, but standing on a rock looking out over 17 acres of forest is amazing)

We didn't use the pool which is built into natural rock formations, but it look great. Next time...

Thanks to Tara and team for everything. We will be back!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I had the pleasure of staying for 2 nights at the Namizimu Forest Retreat and I was instantly in love with the resort. Right away I felt like I had always known both Tara and Dave who were most welcoming.

The rooms are exceptionally clean and I slept like a baby in the clean mountain air. Since Namizimu is pretty high up in the mountain the days there are cooler than down by the lake for example so it's the veranda is the perfect place to stay and relax.

Try the rock shower and the swimming pool. They're amazing.

One day we had a group of baboons hang out outside the rooms. How often do you experience that??

Here is a tip for you based on my experience. One morning my hosts arranged a guided hike with a local named Brave up Namizimu mountain. The view is breathtaking and it's interesting to walk through the forest with a man who knows it like the back of his hand. Ask for a guided hike, you will not regret it.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I highly recommend Namizimu Forest Retreat. Off the beaten track, in the Mangochi Hills about 20 km south of Mangochi town, it's as tranquil and relaxing as anyplace I've ever been. No electricity (solar lamps often available), no traffic noise - only the chirping of the chicadas and the occasional grunt from the baboons who live in the surrounding forest. Clean air, the best water in Malawi, glorious walks for those so inclined and great food. The hosts, however, are the best thing about the place - Tara and Dave who treat their guests like family and friends. I've spent many a night at Namizimu and wouldn't think of staying anywhere else while in Mangochi.