“Good Value for Downtown Ithaca”
Review of Inn on Columbia

Inn on Columbia
Ranked #3 of 18 Ithaca B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 August 2017

The Inn on Columbia provides a somewhat affordable option to the ridiculously priced hotels in the downtown Ithaca area. Our room was in an old house a couple blocks away from the main Inn on Columbia building. The house included a sitting room and kitchen on the main level available for use by the guests. The continental breakfast available in the kitchen consisted of granola, instant oatmeal, yogurt, an excellent selection of fresh fruit, orange juice, making for coffee and tea, instant hot chocolate, muffins, and scones. I did not find the muffins to be worth the calories so passed on them after the first day and did not try the rock-like scones.

The bedroom was roomy and comfortable. The room and bathroom were clean except the bathroom grout needed more scrubbing or redoing. Our room was quiet for sleeping until the 7am traffic started. Our 2nd floor bedroom was 18 steps up from the main level, no elevator. The step tread depth was shorter than my foot making it somewhat difficult to carry up a suitcase. Keep that in mind when traveling with a lot of luggage or a heavy suitcase. Off road parking is provided but is tight. I am glad we had a small car. The 10 minute downhill walk to downtown Ithaca was on sidewalks.

Room Tip: Get a ground floor room if you have heavy luggage.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Kenn Y, Owner at Inn on Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2017

Thank you for giving us a try! We hope that you enjoyed exploring Ithaca.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Ahhh everything about our stay here was seamless, easy, and comfortable. When I called to check availability, Kenn explained which rooms that allowed pets were available on our dates, the prices, and told me how to find the pictures on their webpage. We reserved the Hudson Apartment by email, which was super easy and Madeline quickly confirmed our reservation. We found the B&B easily, and Madeline showed us around our apartment and gave us the lay of the neighborhood and restaurant recommendations. The neighborhood is adorable, and the B&B's houses are lovely old buildings that have been meticulously restored by Kenn and Madeline. Our apartment's interior reminded us of Frank Lloyd Wright's aesthetic - very spare and clean but also very comfortable. Street parking was very easy, and the downtown Commons area was just a few blocks' walk (or drive) away for dinner.

The beds were very comfortable, and the old building's thick walls kept the space super quiet. I could barely hear my friend in the other room when she tried to talk to me through the hall! The bathroom and kitchen were clean and the kitchen was well stocked - both in terms of plates and knives and also the fridge had a large basket of fruit for breakfasts as well as milk, juice, and yogurt. Then pastries/muffins were delivered each night for breakfast the next day. And I will come back just for the muffins - I can't eat eggs and they delivered the most amazing egg-free muffins, so I was totally spoiled!

Everything was perfect, especially Kenn and Madeline's hospitality. Every time we had a question, they were there to help, and they gave us greatly-appreciated advice on things we hadn't even thought to ask. They are fantastic local hosts, and staying at their Inn is a treat!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Kenn Y, Owner at Inn on Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2017

Thank for your eloquent comments. We work hard at making our guests comfortable and it is terrific when they make us feel great too. Best Kenn

Reviewed 28 July 2017

We recently had the pleasure of spending about five days at the Inn on Columbia at the Cottage. We truly had a wonderful stay. The accommodations were clean and comfortable. The fridge was stocked with yummy yogurt, juice and fresh fruit. The hosts were incredibly helpful with restaurant recommendations, helping us with random questions, and helping us with recommendations for stops around the finger lakes, including wineries and restaurants in areas outside of Ithaca. We spent a ton of time hiking, and they were happy to guide us to those locations as well. We ended up hiking one gorge we had not planned on thanks to their recommendations, and we were so pleased that we did. This is an easy walk to downtown Ithaca, and it was so nice to be able to come back after a day of hiking, clean up, and walk to enjoy downtown. I hope we can visit again. Thank you for everything!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Kenn Y, Owner at Inn on Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2017

We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for you review and we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 1 July 2017

I recently stayed two nights at the Inn on Columbia. Super comfortable, terrific decor and art work throughout, — and a couple blocks from downtown restaurants and shops. Walking trails, gorges and waterfalls all within walking distance. I enjoyed a box of fresh home made pastries, neatly tied in a box with a "Good Morning" greeting tag. Kudos to the hosts Kenn and Madeline!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank SusieAdamant
Kenn Y, Owner at Inn on Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

We are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Inn on Columbia. It was a pleasure to have you stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 26 May 2017 via mobile

First off, I am a student at Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration, so I study hospitality and love to try new hotels and inns. I can 100% say that this is my FAVORITE place to stay in Ithaca! My dad and I stayed here while I was moving out of Cornell for the summer. Since many of the hotels were booked and had very high rates, we decided to check this place out. It was AWESOME! The best place in Ithaca. We were greeted by the very friendly owner upon arrival, and she helped us get settled in and even gave us some restaurant recommendations. She even had lemonade and cookies waiting on the kitchen counter for our arrival. The community kitchen and living room are extremely clean and trendy- the owner informed us that her husband graduated from Cornell's architecture school and designed the layout. There were many interesting books and beautiful artwork all throughout the common spaces, and even a wonderful back porch to relax on. The rooms are spacious, comfortable, and well-designed. Large beds, a large TV, and spacious bathrooms (with a bidet)! Our room also had a huge closet. When we woke up the next morning, there was a box of scones and muffins waiting for us on the kitchen counter! There are also yogurts, coffee, milk, and fruit in the fridge for breakfast. It is also in a great location, located walking distance from both the commons and Cornell. All around, this was a truly special place. The hospitality was wonderful and I highly recommend the Inn on Columbia.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Kenn Y, Owner at Inn on Columbia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2017

Thanks so much for your kind review! Come back and take advantage of our last minute prices when you call us direct. Best Kenn