Yemereha Hotel
US$58
  • Breakfast included
US$65
US$44
Villa Lalibela Guesthouse(Lalibela)(Great Value!)
US$27
US$17
US$42
  • Pool
Harbe Hotel(Lalibela)
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 5 February 2012

Our first impressions of the Yemereha Hotel were not good. Rubbish was being burnt beside the restaurant. There was no water or electricity in the rooms. The parking area and paths between the bedroom blocks and restaurant were unpaved and uneven. Things improved a bit...water and electricity arrived!

Our room was adequate with Mosquito nets and some interesting pieces of local furniture. There was a balcony which was nice to sit out on until the children and vendors arrived on the road outside to pester us. Plumbing and bathroom fittings were broken or damaged. We used the restaurant for breakfast only...service was chaotic.

This hotel had been operated by Green Land, an Addis-based tour operator. We were told that the Church had taken over the operation of all hotels in Lalibela and that new management had recently been appointed at the Yemereha. I don't know if this information is correct or not. Either way management have a serious job on hand to imprve this hotel.

1  Thank peartree69
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I liked the rooms:very clean, big, comfortable and well furnished with typical furniture. Less interesting the restaurant.

Reviewed 11 January 2012

About one month ago we booked 5 double rooms for 2 nights (January 4th and January 5th) by Greenland, the company that own this hotel. We paid 950 USD !

When we arrived they gave us large but very bad rooms, with beds only (no other furniture). Towels were dirty. Roofs and walls were dirty, spotted and broken too. There were stuck out nails on door frame. Lights were out of order outside and in the ante-room. Etc. etc.

When we required to change rooms the hotel manager answered that the hotel was full and he said “however all rooms are equal at the same price”. That is completely false.
In fact on http://www.yemerehahotel.com/accommodation.htm you can discover that “Yemereha Hotel has 120 rooms of two types: Top view and Budget rooms.”

As a friend of mine said “ they are not “budget rooms” they are dog’s beds ! “

We insisted requiring to look other rooms. The manager showed us a similar room. Then we discovered that this room was occupied by Greenland personnel. At the end some tourists showed us their rooms. These rooms were different and quite nice. Therefore the hotel manager told us a second falsehood.

Just to finish: no cleaning room service was performed during our staying.
Please note the price: 95 USD per night.

I’m strongly suggesting to avoid to stay in this hotel.
Mauro Antelli

1  Thank Mauro A
Reviewed 13 December 2011

The Yemereha Hotel was better than we thought it to be.
The restaurant was very special, the coffee ceremony was the best we had in Ethiopia.
Dinner was good!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 December 2011

I ended up at this hotel as I could only get one night at the Mountain View, the Cliff Edge - next to the Mountain View and where I wanted to stay was fully booked and this one was the next in line. The girl on reception was charming and immediately told me that she would have a room for me with a view on to the mountains for the following day therefore I took the room sight unseen but was shown something similar - she said - on the road-side. I left my suitcase there in the morning after glimpsing the view albeit of the mountains and did not return until evening. The room was big but freezing (it might be great in summer), gusts of wind coming in from under the door to the room, the bottom of which was rather far from the floor! One large hole in the ceiling which I saw when I lay in bed, obviously from some sort of seepage as it was brown around the edges and then upon looking around, another hole in the opposite corner! Unfortunately for me, my room overlooked a mini-farm just one-floor below where the cows started mooing at 01.00 hours, joined by the chickens and the dogs. This went on all night. The following morning I heard a client complain about the noise from the road-side so this really is a lose-lose hotel as far as noise is concerned and as it was cold, all the windows and doors were firmly (!!) closed.

Fleas in the bed. Couldn't wait to get up and have a hot shower but alas, that was not to be as there was no hot water. Couldn't wait to have breakfast and a hot cup of tea - I was informed that it started at 06.00 hours. Alas that was not to be, there was noone in the dining-room, which although very nicely furnished, has no front door only a large gaping hole thereby turning it into a freezer in the mornings. Someone finally turned up about 15 minutes later and I ordered a large pot of hot water as I had my own tea, toast and an omelette. He said yes and then started laying up another table. I had to ask 3 times for the hot water, the toast kept arriving uncooked and when I asked the second time, the waiter Johannes he told me was his name, just laughed at me and flicked me away with his hand. I had to change tables because at the first table - the furthest from the open doorway, there was animal faeces lying on the floor! And with all this, I was asked to pay for breakfast which I refused and I told them that I had been given a room rate including breakfast (I'm still waiting for the fruit juice I ordered). No discount for the lack of hot water and appalling service, I asked to speak to the manager but was informed that he was still sleeping and not to be disturbed (OK for some). I met some Ethiopians from the Ministry of Culture on the way to the airport who informed me that this hotel was notorious for being very bad, that the owner is an Italian who is not in the slightest bit interested in anything except getting his money - and this was not cheap at $45 night. I can highly recommend that you do NOT stay here under any circumstances.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo