See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 January 2015 via mobile

A comfortable, quiet hotel at the edge of Lalibela, Yimreha is a 15 minute walk from the northern church complex. A quiet getaway that provided sound sleep, good wifi and pretty good cuisine in the restaurant. Wifi was great too. My only complaint was the water pressure in the shower which management said is being fixed. Great price with peace of mind and did I stress quiet? Even during the busy holidays you forget there are 1000's of extra people in Lalibela. For my trips to the sites outside of Lalibela I connected with a great guide, Assefa Genzebu (genzebu@gmail.com) who made the trip to Yimrehana Christos a pleasurable experience. All and all a good experience.

Stayed: January 2015
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We went from Addis for Ethiopian Christmas (Gena) which was on January 7, 2014. I reserved twin beds by phone from Addis and it was an excellent experience with the reservation.

However, the rooms are poor with old furniture and the curtain can not be closed properly. They shutdown the water two days to conserve according to the insider information! Mind you this hotel is run by Church which does not invest money to improve it. When I pointed out the problems we encountered, the staff said that they are busy with lots of guests and I am one of those guests who paid dearly for the poor room because of the holiday.

The morning we left for Gondar, there was no water! Again, the Zebegna (night security guy) shut down the water according the insider information. I heard the staff who said to me the water was closed by city, was furious when he found out the water was shutdown overnight. They offered a bucket of water instead of apologizing for their mistakes. I tried to talk to a staff who was defensive. The people who manage the property are very young and inexperienced. I do not recommend this hotel despite the good location.

In Gondar, we paid less and we had TV and hot water 24 hours.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bektrip
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The rooms look nice, with the decorated furniture. However, the construction quality is very poor. My first room was full of water dripping down from the ceiling when I returned in the evening. After notifying reception, they came to mop up the water, but left without addressing the fact that water was still dripping from the ceiling. When I went back to reception to ask what they were planning to do about it, the answer was a very clear 'nothing', and a shrug. After more complaining I was given the key to another room, which turned out not to have running water. At least no chance for leakages, I suppose... Anyway, back to reception, was assigned a third room. This one didn't have hot water, an open window couldn't be closed and it was full of mosquitos. When I went back to reception to ask for anti-bug spray, the lights were off, the door was locked and there was nobody in sight. I suppose they were as tired of me as I was of them...

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 October 2012

I have visited this hotel recently and been allocated one of the new rooms. The room was actually quite nice, furnished with local products. No tv or other modern amenities. Hot water was always there, food was nice and people pleasant.

Room Tip: Stay only in new build part of the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank MariuszKluzniak
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed at this hotel as part of a tour group, so can’t comment on price/value. We stayed in the newer rooms. Our room was quite large with two double-size beds, a wardrobe (with no shelves), a couch, two chairs and a coffee table. The furniture is locally made and decorated. The floors are tiled. The room was very clean. The beds were OK for us but some people may find them too firm. There was plenty of hot water from an electric tank in the bathroom. A bathtub with a shower hose. No shower curtain, so you have to be careful not to spray water everywhere when you take a shower. The hotel is a little way away from the main part of town so is pretty quiet except for the occasional barking dog or barnyard sounds from the houses behind gthe hotel (you’ll wake up to chickens crowing). We ate dinner at the hotel two nights and lunch one day and the food (western) was very good. The included breakfast was good. You can pick what you want; we usually had an omelet and toast. A nice place to stay for 3 nights while looking at the rock churches and going up the mountain on mule-back. They are building a new restaurant but for now the bar and restaurant are in a few rooms in the old part of the hotel. There are a lot of new hotels going up in Lalibela, so in the future there’ll be a good choice of hotels.

Room Tip: Don't confuse reviews of the old rooms with those for the new ones. I can't recommend saying in the old rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple