“Nice Hotel, Questionable Neighborhood”
Review of Ravel Hotel

Ravel Hotel
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Long Island City
Reviewed 8 June 2017

One can get into Manhattan very quickly from this hotel - a great location from that perspective. But the neighborhood has not yet caught up to the upgraded hotel. Walking from the subway station to the hotel is easy, but the neighborhood is a bit unsettling, with vacant lots and industrial buildings that appear to have little activity. Use the handy hotel shuttle when possible and consider taking a taxi instead of walking. As this neighborhood transforms for the better, this hotel will become an ideal spot to stay. Also, the rooftop dining area is a great find, with nice views of the Queensborough bridge and across to Manhattan.

Room Tip: A room facing the river will give views but likely be noisier. The rooms without a balcony on the op...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Halfcup
RavelGM, General Manager at Ravel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2017

Dear Halgcup,
Thank you for your review. On behalf of all us here at The Ravel Hotel, it was truly a pleasure to have had you stay with us.
Long Island City is one of the many transcending areas throughout New York City. The increasing plethora of fun things to do in our neighborhood is indeed something that we are excited to promote to all our travelers.
We cannot wait to welcome you back. Whether you enjoy a summer cocktail in our new Beer Garden or simply savor a meal at our Penthouse, rest assured we will make your next visit memorable!!!

Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

My husband toddler and I checked in today. We chose this because it was a good deal at $135/night on hotel tonight and boasted being hip.
Issues began at check-in.
$25 to park in an empty lot ok fine
$25 for a pack n play for my son?! She was not joking I pointed out that absolutely no hotel on the either hemisphere would ever charge for crib. She did not care. We brought our own pnp from the car.
Also the hotel is a ghost town and they refused an upgrade to a room with a balcony which my husband really wanted so we paid the extra $100.
Then we get to the room and it's very dusty. To point where you can write in the dirt.
The sheets were dirty with hair and skid marks. Had to have those changed. Then at 246am the broken phone kept ringing. So I called the front desk on my cell phone to ask why they were calling me and also their phone doesn't work and she said that someone had requested this room and I asked her what she meant and she said someone wanted this room. And I said what where you going to do move me at 3am and she said I don't know!?!
It's only 3:27am I should probably wait til I leave to complete this review but it's just all so egregious. $135+ tax =$159+ 100 upgrade +25 parking is almost 300!!! For a stink hole in queens.
Other issue are flicker of ceiling light and random machine noises like the fridge.
The bathroom is also open and no privacy. The only plus is that the rooms are large and balcony with city views.
It is obvious from the top down that the attitude of the staff here is that they know you won't come back so no need to clean well, be accommodating or have common sense about calling at 3am.

Do yourself and your family a favor and stay anywhere else. A motel 6 is better than this place.

Stayed: June 2017
1  Thank roma1279

Dear Roma 1297,
Reading your review was heartbreaking. The level of service that you experienced does not speak of the level of service that we strive to deliver to all our guests every day. There is no excuse to have not achieved our service culture levels with you.
Our hotel is unique due to the fact that we a number of room types. We do offer our guests an upgrade option based on their needs for a fee as the higher tier rooms offer more amenities, views, space and comfort.
Additionally, we are looking into your situation and will continue to take proactive measures to ensure that our team members provide a stellar and flawless service to all our guests.
We would love the opportunity to host you again and I will personally see that your expectations are met above and beyond.
Below are my contact details. Please feel free to contact me for any assistance.

Reviewed 30 May 2017

Not a lot near here. The subway is ten blocks away which will bring you to Manhattan. Very noisy. We didn't go to the rooftop Asian restaurant because we were not "dressed" for it. This isn't the Hilton! Just wanted a drink at the bar.

Room Tip: There was a wedding going on there with an after party until sunrise! Keep them out of the halls!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
RavelGM, General Manager at Ravel Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Dear VinnieC1025,

We are delighted to announce our new Beer Garden and soon to be pool with chic cabanas. Here at The Ravel Hotel, we thrive on being a destination hotel and differentiate ourselves from brands like the Hilton.
The purpose of the dress code is for our guests to feel comfortable in a sophisticated environment.
We hope that you will be able to give us a second chance and enjoy our venues.

Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

I had a good pair of sunglasses stolen from my room, when I approached hotel management to inform them they told me they weren't stolen they were accidentally removed from my room and if they turn up they will post them over to me. It left a bitter taste after what was an enjoyable stay, rooms were clean,modern and of a good size. The reception staff were excellent and very helpful and the food was good in the terrace bar however due to the bull**** the management came up with I can't recommend this hotel to anyone, next time it might be something worth a lot more than expensive sunglasses that are accidentally removed from the room.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Calum M
Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

Based in a bit of an industrial area right next to the Queensborough bridge the rooms are clean and large with great showers, fridges and air conditioners. All the rooms are no smoking but if you get a room with a balcony you can smoke out there.
I would suggest asking for a room away from the lift as they play music and I would imagine you could hear this if you were in a room directly outside the lifts.
There is a club/restaurant/bar on the top floor but this had no impact on our stay, even though we were there over the weekend. The carpets in the corridors are a bit warn and some areas need a bit of TLC.
We didn't eat in the restaurant but did have a few drinks at the bar and the food looked nice, however, I would not recommend booking this with breakfast included as it was lacking in choice and wasn't great. There are a few restaurants up on Vernon Blvd which is about 10min walk away and your only about 4/6 stops on the subway away from Times Square and Grand Central if you take the free shuttle bus to the station near the hotel.........this
Leaves every 30mins from reception. We did book a cab on the first day from the hotel to Times Square and we were seriously overcharged........I think the reception staff have a deal going with a local cab firm. The trip should cost $15/20 not $35, which is what we were charged as a flat rate subsequently we only did that once. You are also near the ferry which takes you into Wall Street area, this is also near Vernon Blvd. The reception staff were generally helpful.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple