“Great dining in the Hudson Valley”
Review of The Bear Cafe

The Bear Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
The Bear Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Reviewed 12 October 2015

When dining in the Hudson Valley, The Bear Cafe should be on your short list.

I've never been here before but based on the Yelp Elite reviews and pictures, I knew it would be a great place for dinner. I highly recommend reservations, this place had a wait!

Its a little confusing because I came here in the dark. The parking lot is dark and crazy crowded. There is some event happening in one restaurant, a band playing at the other bar/restaurant and there is even a Chinese food restaurant?? These places are calling Big Bear, Little Bear, Bear something, mamma bear??

My wife and I walk into the Bear cafe, it looks like a lodge with all of the cedar woods on the walls and ceiling.

The bartender was spot on, he was mixing some STRONG drinks! Holy smokes, the whiskey they used was probably a 1/2 glass alone!

I am here for the chef and his locally sourced menu. We ordered two starters, the mussels and the beet carpaccio. The beet carpaccio was simple yet elegant. The beets were at their peak of freshness and the fried goat cheese made this dish amazing.

The mussels, my wife is Brooklyn-French-Canadian and gives it a thumbs up.

I had plans to get the steak but what caught my eye was the fresh fusilli pasta with lamb sugo along with fresh spring peas. Wowza! Coming from NYC, this dish was a large portion and the lamb had a little kick to it. Not a lot but just enough for me to say baaa..

All in all a pleasant experience in the Hudson Valley. I high recommend The Bear Cafe. Next year, the Chinese food Bear restaurant menu looked really really good!

Reviewed 9 October 2015

The former chef Eric has been restored to his rightful place. The menu is wonderful again. My dinner was lovely-wine selection great. Life is good again!

Reviewed 28 September 2015

This used to be our favorite restaurant in the area. The food is now not any better than any other restaurant. The service, which was always wonderful, is not very good.
All this and the prices have gone up. It is still a beautiful setting.
What has happened - new ownership???????????

Reviewed 23 August 2015

great spot to eat when visiting Woodstock. stream side setting and lovely wood detailed interior. the service was excellent, particularly Ashley W. who was the bartender and our waitress as we dined cafe style at the bar. She remembered my favorite drink from my last visit there (amazing!) and was just the most pleasant waitress/bartender - extremely efficient (but not officious), friendly (but not intrusive) and just a delight. oh, if only all servers were so good!