“Average Cheap Motel Stay, But Spoilt By Rude Send Off”
Review of Swiss Cottage Inns

Swiss Cottage Inns
Ranked #27 of 52 Hotels in Niagara Falls
Reviewed 16 May 2009

We spent 1 night in Niagara Falls (NY) before going over to the Canadian side the next day to visit the falls. A room at Swiss Cottage was fairly cheap at US$39 plus taxes. The motel is located on Route 62, opposite a shopping area with a 24hr Tops supermarket, Target and a few fast food outlets like BK and KFC. Pretty convenient.

We received a wonderful welcome from the gentleman manning the reception, Mario. He was very friendly and very polite and offered assistance should we need any information about the Niagara Falls area. We felt very welcomed.

The room is okay, average for a cheap motel. The tap in the washbasin sprayed water in such a ridiculous manner that it was hardly usable though. The shower was good and the shower area was sufficiently clean.

The best thing about the room was the bed. The mattress was wonderfully comfortable. In fact, so comfortable that we accidentally overslept the next morning. At 11.15am (check-out time is 11am), we were woken up by 3 loud knocks on the door. Before we could even wake up and reply within the next 2 seconds, the housekeeping staff unlocked the door and barged in! There was no bolt on the door, so she could enter the room with just her key. She barked at us that it was time to check out, which we tried to do so as quickly as possible. As we were still rushing to pack and move our stuff to the car, the lady from the reception came over and very loudly told us to check out immediately.

You would think that ALL the other rooms in the motel had already been cleaned and a bevy of idle housekeeping staff were waiting for us to get out. Well the other rooms were still in the process of being cleaned. The rooms weren't even fully booked as it was off-season for visiting the falls. So I'm sure there were no new guests dying to check into our room. When I returned the key to the lady at the reception and apologised for the late check-out, she just took the key with a grimace. No word of thanks for staying with them. No word of goodbye and have a nice trip.

We felt so harassed at being evicted. It was an honest mistake and a little more understanding and patience would have been appreciated. I was deciding between staying at Swiss Cottage and Sands Motel, which had the same rates. I should have stayed at the latter instead.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrscho79

Reviewed 24 October 2008

I am just back from Niagrara falls. I stayed there for two nights.
If I had not booked the room together with airticket, I would have changed to another after the first night.
The room is just so-so. It was warm inside at least. Bed is not comfortable for me.
Room is not sound-proof. You would hear talk from neighbour room easily.
Terrible breakfast. It is just some snack actually. Coffee and donuts.
Better not choose this motel if you have no car. The motel claimed that they offer free shuttle to the Falls. Actually the shuttle is provided by public bus service and it was out of service when I arrived. I was totally cheated!!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank SkyTravelerDc
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We traveled to Niagara Falls in early August 2008. We didn't know how far we'd get so didn't make a reservation. That was our first mistake! We ended up in Niagara Falls at midnight. The This room at Swiss Cottage Inn was the last room in town -- we had stopped at 8 other properties first. I had a $39 coupon and that is my only saving grace; the lady who came in behind me ended up paying $69 for the room she had reserved. I'd have been sick if I'd paid full price.

The room was extremely small; the owner said it was a queen bed, but it was not. The carpet was filthy, the bed sagged in the middle, the sheets were not freshly washed and the pillows were pancakes. The air conditioner was extremely loud ... I turned it off and opened the window but felt unsafe as there was no security and the property was dimly lit.

The bathroom was not clean (water stains on the taps) and the shower curtain was so dirty I showered with it open. The towels were like rags.

At 2am the couple next door engaged in a very loud conversation which drifted into our room as if they were standing next to our bed. The walls are paper-thin.

I would sleep in my car next time instead of staying here. I awoke at 5am and couldn't get out fast enough.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paula S
Reviewed 28 July 2008

The room was clean and simple. Only the essentials were provided, but it is only 2 stars. The room was well kept, fresh paint and new bedding. Good value for our money.
Best of all, the pool was wonderful. It was cleaned early each morning, and it stayed open until dark. There are picnic tables and some beach chairs around the pool too.
Management was friendly and very helpful. The lady who works at the front desk provided information about the area and helped us book our tours to the falls. I would go back to Niagara Falls and stay at the same place.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank design1010
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Stayed at the motel mid-week during late July. The lady at the front desk was very friendly, and the rooms were very clean. Unfortunately was only passing through and couldn't stay a couple more nights to enjoy more of the falls area and buffalo.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)