Free cancellation until 21/07
US$335
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Dunas de Sal(Santa Maria)
US$149
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Odjo D'Agua(Santa Maria)
US$118
Hotel Morabeza(Santa Maria)
US$166
US$158
US$223
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Riu Funana(Santa Maria)
US$236
  • Pool
US$309
  • Pool
Free cancellation until 26/07
US$135
US$206
Surfactivity Guest House(Santa Maria)(Great Value!)
US$31
All reviewsswim up roombikini beachbellini barlatitude restaurantmattress toppercasa nostrariviera snackcabo verdefishno stressplenty of sunbedslow keymini barrelaxing holidayocean frontevery other dayjacuzzi bath
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed here last year and it is a great adult only hotel. I will start with the bad points:

- Bikini Beach, this place makes the hotel look worse and more like an 18-30 hotel, not to mention the prices in there are massive anyway.

- Evening entertainment, small niggle for us but we would have preferred a little more to do in the evenings as we found ourselves having a couple of drinks after our meals and then going back to the room. We tried to do the quiz one night but they had a technical issue with the wifi so they could not get the questions or the answers half way through so we went back to the room. I know i am splitting hairs here but this was our main issue with the hotel so best to know if you expect to have something to do in the evening.

- Hotel transfer, mostly ok but due to an issue with TUI we had to get to the airport earlier to get checked in and sat together (not the hotels issue)

- Food. Now there is a lot of variety but on some nights there is a lot of seafood and we dont really like seafood. My suggestion is to have a bit more variety when there is a seafood night so that those who dont like it can have something else. The other niggle is that the veggie options were not exactly great other than chips- a little tip to the hotel, not all veggies like mushrooms so again a little more variety needed.

The Good points:

- Alcohol was fantastic, as well as the service from the staff, they would do all that they could for you even with service direct to you poolside which was most welcome on the hot days.

- The area, the beach is fantastic and worth a walk along to the surrounding beaches if you fancy, a true paradise.

i would recommend using the bus service that the hotel offers to going into Santa Maria, we did it and walked back along to beach to the hotel as it was only a 40 minute walk which was perfect to work off some of that alcohol and food.

All in all a nice hotel which could truly be 5 star with some improvements.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank D1985
Llana_Sensimar, Manager at TUI SENSIMAR Cabo Verde Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear D1985,

Thank you for having chosen TUI SENSIMAR Cabo Verde Resort for your holidays and for the time that you have set aside to share your review with us and with fellow travelers online.

Firstly we would like to thank you for your kind comments regarding the positive aspects of our services with the focus on the staff service and our hotel location. We also would like to thank you for bringing into our attention the points to be improved we will share them with our team members to intensify our efforts to guarantee the satisfaction of our guests. Kindly be aware that the Bikini Beach is an external establishment and not under our hotel management.

Thank you once again for your contribution, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to offer you our services once more in the near future and change your perception about us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Firstly this hotel is great. Everywhere is very clean, rooms a good size, the layout is good, food always hot. The speciality restaurants are possibly the best we’ve ever been to. However I’m not sure it fits with other Sensimar branded hotels. It’s just not quite there. A few little things need to improve to make it 5 Star. Firstly service - sometimes waiting 10 minutes for a glass of wine when entering the Latitude Restaurant is just not acceptable. Don’t even think of getting a refill. Similar wait in the mornings for coffee with breakfast. No Waiter service at the pool. Having to ask them to supply towels, coffee, toilet paper after failing to replenish these. Yes this is all very picky but is Surely the expectation for a 5 Star Sensimar?

However my main gripe is that whilst at all meal times the food was hot and well cooked and presented there just wasn’t the variety of offering experienced at other hotels in Cape Verde that we have visited

Overall a great holiday, just a few niggles that if corrected would take this from a great to a fantastic hotel

3  Thank Michael B

Dear Michael B,

Thank you for having chosen TUI SENSIMAR Cabo Verde Resort & Spa for your holidays and for having set aside some of your time to write your impressions about our hotel and share it with us and with fellow travelers online via Tripadvisor.

Having read your description, we are pleased to perceive that you have had an enjoyable stay with us, it has been truly a pleasure having you as our guests. We thank you for bringing your concerns into our attention, we welcome each constructive feedback and we have no doubt that they will be very useful in helping us to continue to better our services each day.

We thank you once again for your contribution and we will look forward to welcoming you as our guests once again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed here the last days of May and the first week of June.
Beautiful, spacious and comfortable room with a couch and two armchairs. Doors lead to the balcony with a table and two chairs.
Large bathroom with separate toilet. Nice towels and a good hairdryer in the bathroom.
The room was clean, but the cleaning could be better. The floor was often dusty and wans’t cleaned properly. Toiletpaper wasn’t always available. The cleanliness of the public areas was spotless.
Beds are hard, but very comfortable and there are different pillows to choose from. On the bed there’s just a sheet, no blanket. When I asked for a blanket, I got one right away.
There’s plenty of storage rooms in the cupboards.
The tv worked fine and there are many channels from different countries to choose from.
WiFi connection was good. In the public areas there’s an open network, but on your room there’s a secured WiFi connection.
The room offers coffee and tea, but unfortunately you only get new teabags once a week.
The minibar is included in the price and is stocked every other day.
There’s a free safe in the room, but be careful, because the lock doesn’t work properly. Sometimes you think the safe is locked, while it’s not.
The hotel staff is friendly, but hardly speaks English. It’s impossible to have a decent conversation with them, because they simply don’t understand a word we’re saying. But they’re trying their best.
Even though this is an adults only hotel, there were (Dutch) children at the hotel. I don’t understand why Tui in the Netherlands accepted this.
The food is excellent and looks beautiful as well. I’ve been to many hotels, but I’ve never had such tasty food as in this hotel. There’s vegetarian food available as well.
There isn’t a lift, so if you’re on the first floor, you have to carry your suitcase up the stairs, which was a bit difficult. Hotel staff didn’t offer any help carrying my suitcase.
Often it took ages before I could order a drink at the poolbar. Bar staff don’t take any notice at all of who is first in line. When you’re there on your own you’re always the last person to be served, which was annoying. I often had to go to another bar to get a bottle of water. And if you’re there as a single water is the only thing you can get. Bar staff don’t really want to serve you anything else.
I stayed here as a single and unfortunately didn’t get much respect. Waitresses asked me several times if I was on my own and when I said yes they looked at me as if I was an alien. They even had the nerve to say my holiday was probably bad, because I was on my own. In Europe it’s pretty normal to travel on your own, but apparently in Africa it’s weird.
When I was waiting for the bus to take me to the airport one of the staff members, whom I had never seen before, asked me if I wanted to marry him, so that he could get papers to come to Europe. I don’t appreciate behaviour like this at all. I came to the hotel to have a relaxing holiday, not to be bothered by male members of staff who want a free ticket to Europe.
The pool offers good sunbeds with good quality of mattrasses. It’s not allowed to put towels on the sunbeds early in the morning and, but there are (Dutch) people who don’t care about this rule and do this anyway. There are towels available at the pool. Towels, however, are of poor quality.
Unfortunately there is no smoking policy at the hotel and smoking is allowed everywhere. This meant many guests were smoking at the pool and on the terraces, which caused problems to other guests.
It’s quite cold in the evenings, which makes it impossible to sit outside.
During the day there were supposed to be snacks available. I never saw snacks anywhere. So I guess all incluse at this hotel means three meals a day and free bottles of water.
Tui Sensimar organizes all kinds of activities, like going for walks, sports, games, workshops, etc.
The brochure you get at check-in contains a lot of wrong informations. According to the brochure the spa is free, but the receptionist told me it’s very expensive. The same goes for keeping the room on the last day of your stay. This is much more expensive than is mentioned in the brochure.
Don’t ask reception to send postcards for you, because they never arrive, so I suspect they threw my postcards away.
Be careful if you go into Santa Maria. The atmostphere out there is aggressive. The village is not worth visiting, nothing to do and nothing to see and you’re being harassed by several men.
Special thanks to Rafael for being so friendly. Thanks to everyone at this hotel who is responsible for the incredible food and beautiful presentation of the food.
And last but not least special thanks to Bernie from the Tui Sensimar team for going on walks with the guests and for being so friendly.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
5  Thank 22gonnie

Dear 22gonnie,

Thank you for having chosen TUI SENSIMAR Cabo Verde Resort & Spa for your holidays and for taking the time to review our hotel.

Your kind comments highlighting the positive aspects of our services are much appreciated. We also thank you for bringing into our attention the points to be improved, we will share them with our team members in order to continue to intensify our efforts to better the experiences of our guests. We are quite surprised reading your comments on our staff as we have never had any situation such as this, quite the contrary most of the feedbacks that we receive are positive mention the friendliness and the politeness of our team members. Cape Verde is a non-English speaking country and hence English is the third sometimes the fourth foreign language of our staff and due to language barrier and cultural differences a misunderstanding may occasionally arise, however this can quickly be cleared up with the assistance of one of our managers on site. We would also recommend our guests to not hesitate to immediately contact our Guest Services should there be any anomalies or inconsistencies in our services in order to allow us to act on them at once.

Our hotel abides by the local smoking regulation in place which states that smoking is only prohibited in closed areas. As per indicated in our website, the Spa treatments are paid. All the post cards are sent to the post office on the same day if handed in the morning or the next day if handed in the afternoon, depending on the destination it may take up to 3 to 4 weeks for your post card to arrive. As an adults only hotel we do not accommodate any persons under the age of 18 years old in our establishment, the ages of our guests are verified through their document at check in.

Once again thank you for sharing your feedback, we hope that you will give us the opportunity to offer your our services by returning for another visit in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband and I stayed here from June 4th for 10 nights. From the moment we arrived at the hotel and was greeted with cool drinks and flannels from Wilson (always smiling! And a credit to the hotel and management as always happy to assist) to freshen up whilst checking in the staff could not do enough.

We was in room 1209 over looking the gardens which was very quiet. I had read that the beds were hard but this was not a problem for us at all and were comfortable.

This hotel does exactly what it says on the tin and was exactly what we needed to recharge our batteries.

The food was lovely and always something suitable for my husband who is a fussy eater, we ate in the Culinarium restaurant once as for 10 nights you have the opportunity to book into one A la carte restaurant. The Prawn cocktail, fish and chips (Heston Blumenthal style) and choc dessert was delicious!

If you are looking for a active entertainment schedule this is not the hotel. The evenings where local groups did dances and played their instruments finished before 10pm. We spent most nights in the Bellini Bar sipping a cocktail or 2 and people watching and just enjoying our own company.

The pool area had no mad rush for the beds and there was plenty available and you never get crammed in. The only negative is the pools are soooo cold! Normally I’d be in the pool daily and I used the pool twice.

The beach was clean and no one approached you to sell you anything, there are plenty of sun-beds it was a shame there were not cushions on the beds like the pool but that did not put us off.

**Tip take towel clips we got ours off eBay before going! And helps as it is windy!**

I had a full massage in the spa and made use of the jacuzzi, sauna and Turkish bath. It was lovely and I floated back to our room after the massage.

We would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to go back!

2  Thank Raudi08

Dear Raudi08,

Having read your review, we are left with a sense of great satisfaction of having fulfilled our goal in providing our guests an enjoyable stay and meeting your holiday expectations.

We thank you sincerely for having recommended TUI SENSIMAR Cabo Verde Resort & Spa to prospective travelers, your trust means a lot to us. We also would like to express our gratitude for your kind acknowledgement of our staff, we are proud to have such an attentive team on board, and it is with great pleasure that we will share your message with the rest of the hotel staff, we have no doubt that they will be very happy to hear from you again and be even more motivated to keep up with the good work.

We thank you for having chosen our hotel for your holidays and for the time that you have set aside to share your feedback with us. We hope that we can look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you as our guests again hopefully soon.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hotel was lovely , clean , well maintained , food very good in all restaurants along with the waiting staff in restaurants.
The real reason not a 5 star was the bar service , had to queue for drinks sometimes for a long time with sometimes one person trying to serve 8 people , some bar staff also quite rude , most 5 star hotels would have your drinks bought to you bearing in mind the price of hotel .
The 2 pools were freezing cold in June with hardly anyone using them as was the swim up room pools again with not much use .
Overall a nice restful place but needs a few changes to make it truly a 5 star .

Room Tip: Swim up rooms nice but water freezing
3  Thank andyed93

Dear andyed93,

Thank you for having chosen TUI SENSIMAR Cabo Verde Resort & Spa for your holidays and for the time that you have set aside to share your review with us and with fellow travelers online.

We appreciate your kind comments on the positive aspects of our hotel, however we are sad to know that were not able to fully meet your expectations, it is obviously not the kind of impression that we would like you to retain from our hotel, quite the contrary we do our best to guarantee the satisfaction of our guests. We welcome the constructive feedback and suggestions from our guests as these enable us to gain a clearer insight into the needs and wants of our customers thus allowing us to continue to improve our services. Having said this, we will take good note of your feedback and the discuss this with our team in order to intensify our efforts in delivering a high standard service.