Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Exceptional

I’ll keep this simple and a short read, the owner Jenny within the short convo we had I could tell... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Audiocigarette1990
via mobile
Most unique and amazing experience in Zanzibar - Cheetahs Rock

On my solo trip to Cheetahs Rock I had the pleasure of the once in a lifetime experience to... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Anna-dbl_1

Recommended experiences in and around Zanzibar Island
from US$698.90
from US$57.70
from US$75.00
from US$76.93
1,511 results
All reviews white lion bush babies once in a lifetime animal lovers rescued animals positive reinforcement love animals amazing experience beautiful animals wildlife conservation big cats money goes wonderful afternoon animal experience close contact highlight of our trip conservation work
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 April 2021 via mobile

Для русских. Посмотрите эпизод Орла и Решки про Занзибар, там про это место очень хорошо все рассказано, ровно так как есть. Деньги большие, но не зря.
Like probably most Russian travelers we found this place on “heads and tales” tv series. Just check this episode about Zanzibar out and it answers all the questions you have if you doubt whether you should visit this place. The price is not small but if you plan something to remember for life - that is the place you are looking for. And don’t forget that the price includes transfer FROM and BACK to the place you staying in. This excursion is not the short one, you stay for the whole light day there so be sure not to plan anything else and wear comfy shoes. That was a big tropical fairy tale we could touch and see with our own eyes! Animals are really friendly and lovely. Fed good, kept good not forced to interact with humans if they are not in the mood. No leashes, no chokers, no whips just some big and small fluffs chilling under the warm sun. Our guides were Leaveil and Blaine and I want to thank them properly cause the way they treat and speak about their furry friends is something else! They were so funny and smart! Blaine who was trying to quarrel with the monkey like it was his smaller brother he needed to babysit was the funniest thing ever. Very nice tour, very informative, the language and their pronounce is easy and manageable for not native speakers. The tour was long but not in the single moment boring dew to these guys effort! I want to thank Jenny as well for meeting us up and answering our questions in the end of the tour. I surely hope she will find a good agent or manager to make her some channels on TikTok or YouTube or what else. Cause her fluffy friends can bring this place uncountable amount of donations just showing off there everyday life.

For those who plans the trip: try to catch a cloudy or not very sunny day. Or wear a hat. 5-6 hours under the sun can be a lot to take for a European person.
Little minus: I surely would appreciate some snacks in the middle of the tour? It’s good that fresh water is always there but it would be a little easier if we could at least buy something to eat.
Also I fully understand the problems with suppliers but still very sad I couldn’t get a T-shirt or hoodie or maybe plush toy something to remember this trip and present our friends. Really was hoping for it. If you have some mercy online please guide me I am still willing :)

1  Thank busterfriendly
Jenny_Cat_Z, Inhaber at Cheetah's Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Buster,

Thank you so very much for your substantial positive review of Cheetah’s Rock! This is very welcome. It warms my heart to read all your kind words about your experience of the Great Wildlife Tour at Cheetah’s Rock.

Indeed, the tour takes place for the full afternoon from 2 PM to about 6:45 PM when the wild animals entrusted to our care are well rested and ready to meet you dear human visitors.
Just as you describe, our resident zoologists love to tell you all about each wild animal you encounter in person and in a variety of appropriate ways that are both fun and educational.
Of course, we use positive reinforcement animal handling only!
It is my pleasure always to meet you dear guests if my schedule of taking care of the wild animals allows this.

As to your request for some merchandise, please send us an email so that our staff can assist you further on this.

It was great to have you as a visitor at Cheetah’s Rock. Thank you for your visit and all the nice words you wrote about Cheetah’s Rock here.

Reviewed 24 March 2021

Cheetah's Rock is such an amazing place, that we had visited it twice within a period of 10 days! This is definitely not a zoo and don't listen to any bad comments about this place, since it has nothing to do with truth.
It is a rescue center and guys are doing an amazing job helping animals that had an unfortunate life. The most amazing thing is that they tell you a life story about every animal! And you get a chance to interact with the most wonderful and happy animals!
It's a once-in-a-lifetime experience: feed and pet lemurs, monkeys, turtles, bushbabies, run with a white lion and lioness, feed them, touch tiger's tongue and of course pet and even hug a cheetah!
It was the best decision we could make to visit Cheetah's Rock and the best gift I could make for myself as a birthday present!

2  Thank Irina-Ilove
Jenny_Cat_Z, Inhaber at Cheetah's Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2021

Dear Irina,

You were such welcome guests!
Thank you for coming twice to Cheetah’s Rock to meet and interact, with all the wild animals here entrusted to our care.
Indeed, the Great Wildlife Tour is a unique educational experience such as you describe it so well.
By personally interacting with the wild animals in a variety of safe and appropriated manners, we hope you really get to love these wonderful wild animals which you encounter.

Please keep your happy memories of your birthday present here at Cheetah’s Rock in your heart for a long, happy time.

Reviewed 24 March 2021

Travelling around the world I collect such amazing places like Cheetah's rock. I am against violence on animals, that's why I ignore circuses with them, but this place is totally different. Jenny, the founder, created charming rescue center when not only people love animals, but animals love people. They are so kind to you.. I believe that if animal is in good hands and good conditions, it will never hurt you. So here you can check my opinion and touch wild animals, play with them, feed and walk, and so on. It's 100% value for money. In such difficult times of pandemic I really believe that this place will keep opened to everybody who loves wild animals like I do. Thank you guys, you are so nice!

Dear Marina,

Thank you for your enthusiastic recommendation to visit Cheetah’s Rock that you found to be truly amazing.

Indeed, while we demand respect for all the wild animals here entrusted to our care, we hope to share our great love for them with all of you welcome guests.
You are absolutely right: The Great Wildlife Tour at Cheetah’s Rock is a unique experience. It allows you to learn so much about all the wild animals which you get to interact with personally in a variety of appropriate ways.

Your good wishes for all our work for the wild animals here are very welcome.

Especially in these challenging times. Please keep your happy memories of Cheetah’s Rock in your warm animal-loving heart for a long time.

Reviewed 17 March 2021

Do this!!

I actually sat down and read the negative reviews as i was just curious how people could write anything bad about this place and after reading them i can say they are a load of nonsense!

You have a veterinarian who doesnt want to get into specifics after every comment, but please comment im curious myself, and some people who thought were going on a safari which obviously didnt do a background check on what they are paying for.
As for another review about bathroom breaks and water, i could go anytime i want, accompanied by staff in case i stick my fingers to pet a lion and loose an arm (which I agree with as people often do things they shouldn't) and water was on the house.
One other negative review comments on how all the stories are the same.... what do you expect? They are animal rescues? They will all have similar backgrounds of abuse, poaching, hunting, being put down or loosing thier parents.
As for the rest of the negative comments, you seem to have failed logistically to get to and from the location, and seem to forget that its an outdoor event and Zanzibar can get hot.

Anyway, onto the positive part. This experience was amazing, it was one of the top things i did on the island and we did almost all attractions in zanzibar. The staff were amazing, Jenny actually came out and greeted us individually and let us answer any questions. The staff are also open to any question you have and take good care of you, they are very knowledgeable.
They are well trained in animal behaviour so they know what to do when.
The animals are just beautiful, i personally enjoyed playing with the lemurs and bush babies.
When can you say i petted a cheetah which is not de-weaponized or drugged up?

We were sceptical about the price, but we left satisfied not just with the experience but also knowing we paid into a good cause.

I also checked the certifications and it all checks out.
Yeah sure you will always have a question about an animal in a cage, but they are released once better if possible, and also remeber land costs money and they are doing the best they can.

My only regret is not swimming with the otters so ill have to do that on my next visit.

Thank you to Jenny and all the staff for this experience.
I will definitely come back if i visit Zanzibar again.
I hope that with people paying into Cheetahs Rock, they can expand thier operations further.

Date of experience: March 2021
Jenny_Cat_Z, Inhaber at Cheetah's Rock, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Onur,

Thank you very much for dispelling the wrong views of Cheetah's Rock so informedly. It is great you enjoyed the Great Wildlife Tour so much!

Meeting the lemurs and indigenous bush baby little monkeys was such a highlight for you - I am so delighted to read about it from you. I will hug them on your behalf this coming morning. Meeting a cheetah in person is really special, just as you write.

Indeed, we keep intact the body and mind of all wild animals entrusted to our care at Cheetah's Rock. This is why you meet them in a variety of safe and appropriate personal ways. Our fees are calculated to sustain our operations for the wild animals.

Thank you for your visit and your kind review. Please remember the wild animals you encountered at Cheetah's Rock for a long time.

Jenny and the Cheetah’s Rock Team

Ps: reading your review made my day

Reviewed 16 March 2021 via mobile

Visiting Cheetah’s Rock after 5 years ( first visit was in 2016) was somewhat different. I came with my mother and we were both very much looking forward to interacting with beautiful animals and learning about their stories. Unfortunately, it was difficult to fully enjoy the time spent in the company of animals due to a very large group of visitors (most of them Russians) who were rather loud and had an annoying habit of spending too much time taking photos of themselves in the company of animals, without realising that the place does not belong to them nor is reserved exclusively for them to enjoy. I think the staff of Cheetah’s Rock should have been more strict with visitors who do not think about the needs of others (after all everyone wants to have a memory photo with a bush baby or a lemur) and simply behave like they own a place. That being said, people who run this rescue center are doing an incredible job and have a deep knowledge and understanding of animals. It was an emotional experience to see the mighty white lion Aslan (still remember him as a young boy), who has grown beautifully and is now being groomed for two charming lionesses, one of whom might become his future partner. We had a great opportunity to pose for a lovely photo with one of the impressive cheetahs Maktoum and met a couple of absolutely awesome Bengal Tigers. I know my mum was very impressed by their beauty and enjoyed feeding one of them with some milk. If it wasn’t for a too large number of visitors, our memories would have been even better. I was very moved after a short conversation I had with Jenny - the founder of Cheetah’s Rock - at the end of the tour. She’s such a dedicated and inspirational lady, sharing her passion for helping endangered animals with other people and educating them of how they need to be looked after. Jenny truly is one of those rare examples of people, whose commitment and dedication does make a significant difference. I wish her and the whole team of Cheetah’s Rock all the best for the future, specially now, in these challenging times of the global health crises, that does have an impact on running of this unique shelter home for animals.

1  Thank PawelJZ

Dear Pawel,

It is great that your Mum enjoyed taking her photo with Maktum the cheetah and feeding home made chicken broth to Bengal tiger Garfield.
Thank you for your kind appreciative words for all our work we do on behalf of all the wild animals entrusted to our care at Cheetah's Rock.
Their well-being, safety and enjoyable life are the clear focus of all our efforts here.

Saying this, maximum attendance at the Great Wildlife Tour is capped at 37 guests. This number is calculated to strike the necessary balance between giving all of you a reasonable amount of personal time with each wild animal you meet, and to raise the funds needed to sustain our operations taking good care of the wild animals. We don't receive any financial support from our local government, nor from any NGOs. Therefore, we depend on the fees of you welcome guests. This holds true also in these challenging times.
Of course, for reasons we cannot plan, there may be some smaller groups as when you visited in March 2016. This is purely circumstantial, though. Our maximum cap has been in place for many years and has not been expanded recently.

Unfortunately, selfish people come from all nations and any walks of life. Our staff on the ground makes big efforts to keep the tour enjoyable for every guest. If some people were to misbehave severely, we would ask them to leave. Judgement of this is a very fine thin line. In general, our guests behave considerately towards each other. Personally, I am very sad you had such an unfortunate experience with some extremely pushy people. I hope your Mum and yourself will keep the happy, joyful parts of your tour in your hearts for a long time!