“Simply the best!”
Review of Pongwe Beach Hotel

Pongwe Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Pongwe
Reviewed 24 February 2008

Like so many other travellers have written, Pongwe is uncredible! Honestly I was a bit worried about a few things before coming to Pongwe. Since I am extremly tidy and also almost afraid of eating things abroad because of stomachproblems, I had a hard time believing that I would find Pongwe to be as perfect as everyone seems to think. I was so, so wrong. All worries for brackish water destroying the hair, dissappeared after my first shower. Although the water do is brackish, showering in it makes you feel clean and the hair is fine with a little conditioner. I hardly saw any insects in the room, and the staff sprayed all rooms during dinner-time. The rooms are spacious, and although there aren´t a lot of furniture in them, they fulfil your needs (which basically consist of just sleeping in a nice, clean environment since you´re rarely in the rooms during daytime). Electricity is off a few hours during nighttime, but it´s hard to think it would bother anyone since it´s way past sleeping time. The fans are off during these hours, but the room never got too hot anyway, maybe because of the wind from the sea. Regarding the food, I have to say again I was worried for nothing. All the meals live up to the standards of a good restaurant in Sweden, in flavour as well as in presentation. What I thought would be a one week diet turned out to be a wonderful culinary experience! Finally, it must be said that the staff and service is flawless in a easy-going way instead of traditional waiting, which I really appriciated. Everybody is eager to help, in a sincere way aswell. I must compliment the tip-box system and the fact that everything is paid on your departure, you never have to handle money around the hotel. Oh, and one other thing, I never felt so comfortable leaving my belongings on the beach and by the pool. You feel completly safe because of the small number of guests and the intimate atmosphere. See, I can´t stop writing how good this place is....

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank MochM

Reviewed 21 February 2008

Pongwe is paradise!!

This was our second visit to Zanzibar so we were already in love with this beautiful island.
We chose Pongwe Beach as an alternative place to stay from our first trip. We were hoping for a similar high standard to our previous visit at Shooting Star - which was very good indeed and we were apprehensive that we may be disappointed.
On arrival at Pongwe I was speechless - and was so delighted and surprised with our room - one of the Beach Front bungalows - that I almost cried! It was rustic and in traditional Zanzibari style and the little touches like the beach bag and kangas made it just that little more special.
We could hear the ocean at night (and the bush babies!) and just the breeze in the palm trees!

Every aspect is perfect :
The location - an intimate secluded beach which is generally only frequented by the hotel guests and the local fishermen. The perfect white sand, the crystal clear Indian Ocean where you can watch the local women harvesting seaweed.
The peace - (all you can hear is the sea and the birds in the trees) - tranquility and seclusion is out of this world if you are looking for a place to completely relax and chill out
The staff are attentive without being obtrusive, friendly and helpful. They are also pleased to be of service to you and we got taught how to play the local board game - bao - which we soon became quite addicted to!
Our stay was for 11 day s which at first we thought may be too long - but we are already looking at returning for longer!
The food is absolutely outstanding - some of the best cuisine I have tasted ANYWHERE - and there is always enough choice for most tastes
The most difficult thing for us to do was to decide what to have for lunch or who was going to set the flag in the sand to order another drink to be brought to us on our sunbed!!
This holiday is perfect if you want to completely unwind and recharge - I cannot recommend Pongwe highly enough

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WOODSIE65
Reviewed 20 February 2008

After reading the reviews for Pongwe Beach Hotel, it looked like a dead cert for a wonderful break. When we arrived the hospitality was first class (hot towel at the door!) and can not think of one thing I would have changed.

The hut we stayed in was beautiful, they really had thought of everything (Beach bag / towels / sarongs / loose robes / little green flag to call over staff for drinks).

They decorated the bed daily with flowers and everything was spotless.

I was worried about the brackish water but it really is not a problem and with everything else the way it is - who cares!

The food was to a good standard and being foodies this was one of the reasons for choosing this place.

There really is not much to do on site (apart from relax!) and not usually one for sun and beach holidays I was pleasantly surprised how much i enjoyed this.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MissV22
Reviewed 16 February 2008

Really lovely staff, excellent service, great room, and perfect beaches. After a not-so-pleasant start at Hurumzi in Stone Town, it was perfect to come to Pongwe where we could relax and enjoy. From what I understand, the staff are amonst the best paid on the whole island and it shows in their attitude; the tip-sharing system also insures that everyone is rewarded, and invested in providing excellent service. Make sure to tell the staff if you are on your honeymoon, they are very sweet about it.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank StockholmStella
Reviewed 14 February 2008

We stayed there for our honeymoon after a week of safari. The place is simply great! It consists of 16 bungalows well distanced and nicely decorated, overlooking the sea and the beach with numerous palm trees. Somehow is all organized in such a way, that you hardly see other guests during the day - feels very private. Beautiful pool, friendly staff and great attention to details (pareos available in the room, music during dinner some nights, free fruits during the day etc). Definitely would recommend and would love to come back!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VicDjuma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pongwe
10.2 km away
18.8 km away
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
Zanzibar Retreat Hotel
#1 of 6 in Matemwe

Been to Pongwe Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!