After ready the rave reviews on Tripadvisor we booked a week at the beginning of October. Everything was as lovely as we hoped and the rooms were actually better!
Much has already been written in previous reviews and I echo those comments entirely but I have some tips -
A. Leave the kids at home, its far too romantic to spoil with having to think about anyone else but the two of you.
B. Book a room with a hot tub and enjoy it each evening with a bottle of wine/bubbly and watch the sunset. The views of the sunset are perfect from Ikies, some other hotels nearby go into shade from the shape of the island so cant see the red ball of sun plunge into the sea.
C. The metzes platter for lunch at Ikies was wonderful, a real feast with about 8 -10 separate little dishes. With a good bottle of wine this was served on our terrace for just 40 euros.
D. Hire a car and drive around the island yourselves, visiting winetastings, villages and amazing views as you want to.
E. Avoid the dozens of buses disgorging thousands of tourists from the cruise ships. Some nationalities were photographing everything, including thier food, and became a bit intrusive. Especially when they were taking pictures of us in our hot tub!
F. Santorini Mou. Aaah, what a gem. A lovely local taverna about 200yds up the road with superb local dishes, obliging friendly staff and best of all they break out some singing and even dancing most nights. The fact we went there on 3 nights out of 6 probably says it all. Its a must.
G. Ask the very helpful reception staff at Ikies to recommend restaurants. They know of real finds which you could never find in a million years.
H. Finally, dont go rushing out all day, every day. Chill out on your terrace and just watch the day drift by with unbeatable views. A couple of chilled beers or glass of champagne with the one you love . . . . .
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ikies Traditional Houses is a special type of hotel. Its small size, exceptional location, traditional design, range of accommodation (honeymoon, maisonettes, and studios) and professional operation result in a rare blend of intimate and personalized service offered against a setting of unique physical beauty. Located at the edge of the picturesque village of Oia in the northern part of Santorini and with commanding views over it, into the caldera and of the surrounding Cycladic Greek islands, our guests at Ikies quickly tune themselves into the complete tranquility of the romantic village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Ikies - Traditional Houses reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ikies - Traditional Houses Hotel Oia
- Ikies Traditional Hotel
- Ikies Traditional Oia
- Ikies - Traditional Houses Oia, Santorini