All reviews minute walk hot tub downtown oia santorini sunset perfect stay rooms are clean sun loungers perfect location christopher studio tourists mariana kitchenette island balcony hosts taxis
Reviewed 28 June 2016

For our first trip to Greece my husband and I wanted to stay in a quieter place, but close to Oia, since it's so beautiful. We chose Ecoxenia for the great price, and gorgeous grounds. Other reviewers are correct when they say that while Ecoxenia is close to Oia, the road to town is long, steep and partially on the road with no sidewalk. I am not in any kind of shape, so it took me 15 minutes to get to the bakery and grocery store at the top of the hill. This is at a slow pace (like shuffling - at one point a mother with a stroller, bags of groceries and a full backpack passed me. Briskly. If I'd been walking any slower I would have been walking backwards.), with 2-3 stops to catch my breath. In the 7 days we stayed in Oia, we walked up to town 4 times. If you're in no hurry it's not an issue, but just be aware that if you forgot toothpaste getting to the grocery store is more involved than skipping to the corner. Of course the walk down is a breeze. Takes like 5 minutes.

However - to put this in perspective, the ENTIRE ISLAND is hilly with steep inclines and descents. So if you're not prepared to tackle some hills no matter where you stay, then maybe Santorini isn't for you, unless you're the all-inclusive resort kind and don't want to go anywhere....That being said, since I'm originally from Iowa, my version of a hill is anything higher than a playground slide, so take that for what it's worth.

The grounds are as they are pictured. Beautifully landscaped and maintained. Christopher and his brother and his brother's wife Maria (who makes a killer pastitsio) are really neat people. My husband and I were able to visit with them some and really enjoyed their company. Very laid-back, informative and happy to organize a car or outing if you let him know the date and time you want to go. Thankfully, he persuaded us to avoid one particular day for a catamaran tour around the island because it was so windy, and I'm glad we listened to him since it would have totally spoiled our experience to be puking over the side the entire time, as the crew told us many people were doing in the days before we booked because of the rough water.

Our room was comfortable. The balcony is the main draw, with nice shade and enough furniture that you can eat, read and nap out there. The biggest drawback for our stay is that if you get a room that adjoins another, the shared wall is very thin, so you can hear everything. This is the only reason for the 4 stars. If the adjoining wall had been thicker this would have been a 5 star, no problem. However, for the price there's nothing else in Oia that comes close - and I mean literally nothing. We easily could have doubled the per day cost of our trip if we had stayed anywhere else in Oia. Since my husband and I get worn out by crowds and too many people, being able to come back to a space with few people and some ground around it was rejuvenating for us. Just be aware that you are CLOSE to Oia, you are not IN Oia, so there definitely is some separation between you and the town. If you don't mind this then I wholeheartedly recommend Ecoxenia. If you want the town of Oia at your fingertips when you step out your door, then you may be frustrated by the distance. If we were to visit Santorini again we might stay somewhere else just for a change of view, but if we did, it would in no way be because we were unhappy with Ecoxenia.

Either way, have some pastitsio, grab a Red Donkey beer and enjoy the moment because you're in GREECE!

Room tip: My recommendation would be to ask for a second or third floor stand-alone room.
Date of stay: June 2016
3  Thank katiemac53
Reviewed 23 June 2016

It is one of those rare affordable options in the most beautiful city. Christopher was incredible - first thing on reaching, he walked us through the map of the city with very good recommendations on our itinerary, restaurant options - specifics which no blog, no review can help with! We followed exactly the itinerary he planned for us and it was the best possible utilization of our 4 days in Santorini. The boat cruise to the volcano and Sulphur springs is something we might have skipped had he not highlu recommended it.

The rooms are clean, basic and cosy. The property is small but offers stunning views of the sea.

Only one minus - it is in Oia but still not close enough to the main downtown. Its a good 30-40 minute walk and you would need some mode of transfer to get anywhere. We hired a car after 1 day but had to struggle quite a bit the first day to reach places.

There is a cute lil jacuzzi which was a great way to relax and unwind after a long day of exploring the city.

If you can splurge, stay in the main downtown in one of those cave rooms and caldera view and a nice cliff facing pool. If not, this is undoubtedly the best option to go for :)

Room tip: All rooms offer a good view
Date of stay: October 2015
2  Thank BeachBum111285
ECOXENIA, Owner at Ecoxenia Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2016

Hi BeachBumm111285!
Thank you for your review.
One important correction. The distance from Ecoxenia to Oia village is 1400m and you need max 22 min by walk. In my opinion is in a “safe” distance away from the really beautiful but really busy and very expensive to stay village of Oia.
Warm regards from Santorini
Christopher

Reviewed 30 May 2016

It should be a crime to rate this any lower than 5. Christopher is unlike any concierge you'd ever get in any hotel. If you've been going back and forth trying to decide whether you should stay in Oia, Fira or Kamari, search no more. Stay here. You will NOT regret it. When we arrived, Christopher sat with us for a full hour to go over the entire island. What to do and where to eat. While the walk up to Oia can be done easily, we decided to rent an ATV, which was delivered to us and booked through Christopher. He also booked a boat tour for us and they picked us up right at the front door. WHEN (not if) we come back to Santorini, we will stay here.

Date of stay: May 2016
1  Thank Alexia P
Reviewed 26 April 2016

We stayed here four nights in late March / early April. Christopher walked us through a map of the entire island - marking his favorite restaurants, wineries, and beaches. The room was clean and comfortable - and you wake up to an extraordinary view of the outer (non-caldera) island coast. Even before the peak season, the Exocenia gardens were pretty impressive. It was promoted as a one-kilometer walk into Oia, though we have to say it felt more like two, and uphill. This was hardly a problem given the affordability. But please note there are portions of the curved road with no sidewalk, and a big flashlight is recommended if you choose to walk back at night. (Taxis are sometimes available near the bus station.) On our third night, we witnessed a near-crash between a motorbike and car - and it could have gone badly for any pedestrians on that side of the road. Still, in/around Oia is the place to stay when in Santorini, and Exocenia proved to be a great launch point for our daily treks around the island.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 December 2015

This is a great place for experiential travelers. It was exactly what I'd wanted and more. Christopher and his family are excellent hosts. The night we arrived in a shuttle he'd arranged for us, he invited us for some wine while he talked about Santorini and its offerings. Christopher is very personable and a great conversationalist. He was happy to make car and excursion arrangements for us. The rooms are studio apartments with a small kitchen. I could see the sea from my bedroom window. There are nice decks for sunning. Breakfast options are delicious. This location is NOT in downtown Oia, but in a quieter and more rural area, about a 25 minute walk up to Oia. It is a short walk to the Domaine Sigalas winery and several beaches. I returned from my trip happier and healthier from the excellent food, sun, and exercise.

Room tip: Every room is great
Date of stay: November 2015