“A Great Steakhouse has Opened in the Catskills!”

The Phoenician Steakhouse
Ranked #5 of 10 Restaurants in Phoenicia
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Reviewed 29 July 2016

My wife and son joined me in trying this "fairly new" steakhouse that replaced the former Al's Seafood Restaurant. We've been coming to the Catskills for years now and honestly, the Peekamoose Restaurant near Big Indian was one of the only restaurants we raved about. Well, now we have two restaurants. Since it was a Wednesday evening, my wife took advantage of their weekly special and ordered the shrimp cocktail, NY strip steak with baked potato and creamed spinach, and chocolate trifecta dessert for $25. What a deal! My son and I ordered the panko crusted mozzarella and the 10 oz. filet mignon, followed by the nutty almond joy dessert. Wow, everything was excellent. Plenty of wines and cordials to choose from, what's not to like? Our server, Paul was also a pleasure to speak with and did a great job in making our dining experience a success. We'll be back!

Reviewed 27 July 2016

this has been "al's" for decades (so long, in fact, that my mother waited tabled there before I was born!). under new ownership, the building has been transformed into a pretty impressive place. the location will, I suspect, prove a challenge for the new management: the Phoenician is up-market in a somewhat humble place. still, the food was terrific (I had the prime rib, with its assortment of sides & dessert, and nothing was lacking). the only obvious defect is in the architecture of the main dining room (we dined in the bar, which is still elegant, but much more intimate): the room, with it's soaring ceilings, is stunning, but an acoustical disaster-- if you're seated there, don't plan on talking much during your meal. all in all, very satisfying: I wish the new owners the very best of luck...

Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

Visiting the Phoenician area for 30 years and never thought of eating out. Lol. Decided to change it up this year. Had a terrific time. My sister set reservations and we were seated on time. Was not very busy, but nice group at the bar. Cocktails were prepared and served in the most professional manner. Shaker was left at table in small ice bucket....it was the best!! Not going to get into the food, it was excellent. Our party of five all agreed. We sat indoors but outdoor seating looked great. It was raining on the evening we went. Our waiter, who I forgot his name was the best! I believe he lives full time locally. He was sharp, friendly, and professional. He gets an A+++. The attire is casual but neat. Great all around!!!

1  Thank Envie17
Reviewed 2 July 2016

My husband and I had our 4th Anniversary Dinner here. We went on a Wednesday night, and had the dinner special (shrimp cocktail app, steak entree with vegetables, baked potato, creamed spinach, and chocolate cake for desert, all for $25!). It. was. DELICIOUS. I couldn't believe the quality of the food!
The owner seated us, and allowed us to walk around the restaurant to see where we'd be most comfortable. We chose to sit outside, because the weather was so lovely and the air was so fresh.
One of the best parts of our experience was our delightful server, Gavin. He was the most cheerful, helpful, kind, and genuine person. He took the time to talk with us, and made us feel welcome. It was a pleasure getting to know him, and he went above and beyond to make our anniversary dinner extra special!!

Thank you to everyone at the Phoenician who made this dining experience a tremendous one!

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

Service excellent,food fantastic great outdoor eating area host was fantastic recommended sightseeing areas highly recommend