“Schatzi's is A+”

Ranked #16 of 297 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 30 August 2013

From the moment that we entered Schatzi's, we enjoyed everything! The decor is cleanly neutral, and features bright young waiters in crisp black and white uniforms. Immediately one approached our table and took a drink order. The indoor and outdoor bars feature a dozen taps with some of the best beers in the area, such as Captain Lawrence and Sloop from Poughkeepsie. German and other American micro beers round out the offerings. A good wine menu is also available.
Sourdough and pumpernickel breads soon followed with the drinks. The kitchen is small but efficient, with a Culinary Institute of America chef. My husband ordered baked chicken wings, and I had locally made potato and farmer cheese pierogies. The wings were just right, served with raw baby carrots and blue cheese. The pierogies had a delicate green chive sauce on them and were exquisite. My husband ordered the Potato Leek Soup, followed by the Grilled Veggie Sandwich, featuring zuccini, yellow squash, Portobello mushrooms, asparagus, onions, arugula, and goat cheese. A great soup, a substantial and tasty sandwich. I opted for the Beer Poached Bratwurst, and ordered them without bread and with a mixed green salad. Two yummy brats, well-grilled, appeared with beer mustard and a sizable mixed green salad. German potato salad is also available as are fries. For dessert I had a berry tart and my husband had vanilla ice cream, fitting ends to a really great meal. Although we sat inside next to the bar area, we checked out the beer garden. It has several different seating areas, wrought iron, and a gurgling waterfall. Live music had been featured outside the weekend before. We were surprised by one other fact: across from the restaurant, a historical plaque features Matthew Vassar, who originally funded Vassar College--and was a brewer! So take the time to get off the main drag, and visit Schatzi's on Main Street.
Auf wiedersehen!!

2  Thank lovevacation02

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I want this place to be great, but it has lots of work to do. Pub food with a nice beer list. We had the Schatzi burger, garlic herb frites, pierogies and the hot pretzel. Everything was a bit bland. I was so excited for the burger - beef topped with crispy pork belly, melted cheddar, potato and green onion rosti and "schatzi sauce" - but there just didn't seem to be that much flavor. The garlic herb frites were too thin and crispy, there wasn't much to them. They tasty ok, but not overly garlicky. The pierogies were a bit mushy and just tasted like slightly salty, thin mashed potatoes. The hot pretzel was good, light and tasty, and the sauce wasn't bad.

The beer list was nice, with lots of interesting choices. I had the Wagner Valley Sled Dog and the Sloop Sauer Peach. Sloop Brewery is a local nano-brewery and I appreciated Schatzi's supporting the community with that choice.

The best thing about the place was the outdoor space in the back. This space could really be nice with a little more effort. Right now there are a dozen tables set up in a few different areas (it is a fairly large space) and a "game" area that had a couple of generic corn hole boards set up. The staff wasn't on top of keeping it very clean - there were cigarette butts all over the ground and empty glasses that looked like they might have been left from the previous night.

The staff was very nice, but not really up to speed. The place had only been open about two weeks, so they will probably improve.

I will probably give this another shot next time I am in town. I really want to see it succeed and help revitalize that part of main street.

2  Thank david717