“Nice hangout spot - good food and beer”

Schatzi's Pub and Bier Garden
Ranked #17 of 298 Restaurants in Poughkeepsie
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 3 November 2017

We stopped here on a Saturday, probably around 4:00. It was unusually warm out and we got a table in the back in the beer garden. The atmosphere is really nice, large area, lots of seating. There is a tall wall surrounding the whole backyard so you don't see the road or hear any cars drive by.

Good craft, German and Belgium beer selection. The food was good. We had the spatzle mac & cheese, good and creamy, crispy bacon. The french onion sliders were also good, they were on the rare side and could have been cooked slightly more, but still good and juicy.

For dessert we got the brownie sundae with cookie dough. I liked the brownie; it was fudgy and very rich. I didn't like the cookie dough part though. Also it only had a tiny scoop of ice cream which was misleading for an ice cream sundae.

We would come back again though. Seems like this place probably gets busy on weekend evenings. We easily got a parking spot in the large pay lot across the street when we arrived, but when we left around 6pm the lot was totally full.

Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

It was an early evening visit prior to the Headless Horseman visit (see other review). Parking was easy just across the street. We sat indoors. Many were outside in the rear. The menu was very interesting. Let's just say an excellent twist on your standard American and German Pub far. We started with Pirogies and wings. Both perfectly executed. Never before have I tasted Pirogies with a little jalapeño. Incredible. The wings also incredible. The best tasting ever. Then the mains. Two of us had their standard award winner. It deserves the top award.. Excellent. Then for the best of the best, their special burger, pimento Mac- n-cheese burger.... Sloppy, but major buzz for your taste buds. I cannot put words on paper that can describe how good it was. Also the German potato salad was great...
My only suggestion would be to ask them to put ice in your water glass.
This place deserves a 5 star rating and is numeral uno in this town and in all the state and country. Simple the best burger ever!!!! And app's just as good.
Thanks to the chef for one of the best burger made in the USA!!!!

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Have been here many times as I am a student at the nearby CIA. Visited after finding it listed on a buzzfeed list of top 25 burgers and it certainly was. The schatzis burger is probably the best burger I have ever had and if your looking for a good burger this is the place to go. Great burgers, good craft beer selection and just all around excellent food. Take it from a foodie this is a great place to eat.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

4 of us ate here tonight and had delicious food. But the wait was obscenely long with other people getting served well before us even though they arrived well after us. Manager said she would either give us a free desert or do something with the bill. No one was hungry after our meals but instead of adjusting the bill, they just sent out a dessert which no one touched. Literally, it just sat there. Why we weren't asked if we even wanted dessert is beyond me. Then we waited for the check . Since I'm not a complete a-hole I did leave a tip as it wasn't the waiters fault but the situation could have been handled better.

1  Thank John N
Reviewed 21 August 2017

Came here for lunch after taking a stroll over the hudson river bridge. They have a nice backyard seating area..Limited menu..German pancakes were delish! Fun place