“I'm not even going to wait till we get home...”

Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 1 July 2011

...I'm gonna sing the praises of this motel while I'm still here!
We're in Room 306, over-looking the pool. I took some pictures, which I'll submit when I write an addendum to this review, to show the proof. We have two double beds, a comfortable stuffed-chair and ottoman, a desk w/desk-chair, a 42" flat-screen TV w/HBO, and a good-sized refrigerator w/microwave on a nice wooden cabinet-stand.
The bathroom is very nice and the air-conditioner keeps the temperature at our desired comfort-level automatically without a hitch. The beds are very comfortable and the rug seems to be new (at least it feels new under bare-feet)
The service is excellent and the staff very friendly, and now for the most-pleasant surprise: they list a "continental breakfast" but what they provide goes WAY beyond any bagel-and-coffee fare I have ever been served.
Are there any shortcomings? Well, how about this: When I reached for the quality-wooden-end-table, to move it over to where I could set the laptop on it to watch a DVD we'd rented, my hand touched a foreign object. It seems someone had stuck a wad of chewing-gum on the underside of the table-top! I got a napkin and coaxed the mass off the wood and threw it in the trash.
I seems to me that this is the Catch-22 that motel operators face: Trying to provide a clean environment where travelers can lay their heads down for a good night's sleep when so many of those very travelers seem to have an irresistible urge to be on their WORST behavior when they stay in an hotel room! But, I digress...
Simply put, when visiting the Hudson Valley, stay here!

Room Tip: Top Floors?
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OBE94347
hiepoughkeepsie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2012

Hi there -
I am so glad you had a great time here! I really appreciate all your kind words. I'm sorry you had to endure the ever elusive chewing gum wad - but I appreciate you removing it. As routine housekeeping checks for such things but every now and then the "gum wad" strikes again.

Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Nothing to get excited about, either in a positive or negative sense. If you need a reliable, reasonably priced hotel in Poughkeepsie, look no further. Take care on Rte 9 finding access to the hotel - road signage in this town leave a lot to be desired. No adjacent restaurants.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pgwill

Hello -
Thank you for staying with us. I agree, sometimes the roads and signage in the area can be confusing and turns are easy to miss. Our goal is to give you a great stay and keep you coming back so please, I invite you to email me with your insights we can make a memorable stay for our guests. My email is eja.hiexpress@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Reviewed 27 June 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights in June 2011. A large group of us stayed here for a wedding, and the hotel was the perfect place for us to stay! Very nice and clean rooms, and the price was very good. The complimentary breakfast was by far the best free breakfast I have ever had at a hotel. Hot foods, eggs, sausage, cinnamon buns, and a whole lot more - all for free! Friendly staff and a pool made the trip even better. My only complaint is the pool hours are 10 am to 8 pm - then the gate is locked. We wanted to go for an early morning swim, and were told that we couldn't. But that did not lower my impression of this hotel. Strongly recommend!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank njdc5

Hello -
Thanks for staying with us! I love those cinnamon buns too! When I walk in every morning I smell them and think - okay - hot cinnamon bun or my protein bar?? It's an easy decision - my protein bar is still in my desk drawer :)

I'm sorry you couldn't get in for an early morning swim - we are bound by certain regulations and guidelines - but i'm glad you had a great stay nonetheless.

Come back and see us!

Reviewed 1 June 2011

We stayed here two nights for the Vassar graduation and found it to be a very pleasant hotel. Our king room was large, with a separate seating area, and because I'd asked for a quiet room, ours was on the top floor facing into the woods behind the hotel. Very comfortable bed,. A microwave and minifridge that was very welcome. We'd just stayed in HIEs in England and expecting the same, but this hotel was luxurious in comparison: free use of laundry room, free wireless, quite adequate breakfast, good range of cable stations on the TV, anda much more spacious room with good lighting. We had friends staying at the same hotel, and all of us felt quite satisfied with the accommodations.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank triptravelBerkeley

Hello -
Thank you for your great review! I'm so glad you're very happy with your stay! Graduation time can be very busy so it's nice to be able to relax in peace and quiet. If you do get back to the Poughkeepsie area we'd love to have you stay with us again!

Reviewed 26 May 2011

We stay in the Hyde Park/Poughkeepsie area for one week every year to attend boot camp at the Culinary Institute of America. We've stayed at the Hampton Inn, Residence Inn, and Courtyard in Poughkeepsie. The Holiday Inn Express is much cleaner and more customer friendly than the others. The rooms are well appointed with flat screen TV, desk, and wireless internet. The breakfast is hot, quick, and free. The breakfast attendant did a wonderful job of keeping the tables clean and the food bar well stocked. There is a free shuttle to the CIA and the driver is also the maintenance manager. He knows the area very well and is very enthusiastic and friendly. The housekeeping staff is quick, thorough and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank OCC04

Hello -
Thank you for staying with us when you were here for boot-camp. That can be an intense time at the Culinary Institute of America so I admire anyone who takes those courses! I'm glad you had a refreshing stay here also! Definitely stay with us again when you return back to the CIA!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poughkeepsie
3 km away
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
#5 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
13.6 km away
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY

Been to Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!