“This hotel is consistent!”

Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Poughkeepsie
Reviewed 12 April 2012

As a GM of another hotel- I can tell you that this place is run extremely well. The room is truly clean (I mean it passed the under the rim toilet test and the high dusting test). They have a wonderful breakfast which is left out pretty late (after 10am you can still get it). They have a wonderful staff- we came in on a bus and we were in our rooms within 10 minutes- KUDDOS!- I saw a gentleman picking up trash in the parking lot two days in a row :-) I saw the housekeeping staff communicating extremely professionally about another guest who brought a problem with their bill to the hskp attention- The hskp staff followed through the entire way- The Sales Manager was seen behind the desk and assisting staff & guests----GREAT JOB----FYI- I only rate hotels 5 stars if I have a "WOW" experience- This hotel comes in at a 4.5 just in operations alone. I did not have enough interaction with the staff to give a 5. Good job GM- pat yourself on the back!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Erin L
hiepoughkeepsie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

I can't thank you enough for your kind words regarding your recent experience at the hotel. A fellow hospitality manager can often be a tough critic, so I couldn't wait to share your review with the staff. Your group was a joy to have at the hotel, and I'm very happy to know that everything went smoothly and that you enjoyed yourselves.

Thank you again for sharing your comments.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Not the closest hotel to Vassar College, but at about two miles away, still convenient. Breakfast was the typical abundant offerings of most HI Express hotels. As Priority Club members we were greeted with a goodie bag of snacks. The elevator is located somewhat inconveniently in the rear of the hotel. I didn't mind the walk, but may pose a problem for some. A dust rag was left in our room the second day. Outdoor patio seating with tables is available.

Room Tip: If you want to avoid the trek to the elevator, you might request a first floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
hiepoughkeepsie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. The breakfast offerings are very similar to that of all Holiday Inn Express', with just a few changes we were able to incorporate and still stay within the franchise guidelines. For instance, rather than providing pre-made muffins, we bake them fresh each day. We put out a selection of fruit cups since bananas are the only fresh fruit permitted. We added Yoplait yogurt in addition to Dannon since our guests told us that was their preference. We alternate western omelettes with cheese omelettes and purchase the best breakfast meats available to us. We're still able and willing to make more changes that will make our guests happy, which is why I truly appreciate the feedback.

Our Priority Club members receive a bag at check in that usually contains bottled water, Smart Food popcorn and a chocolate bar. Of course members also receive points for their stay, a 2:00 p.m. check out if it is necessary and an upgrade if it is available. We encourage those that travel to Poughkeepsie often to become a member and start earning reward points.

The outdoor patio is a nice place to gather or relax in when the weather is nice. We keep the lights on the trees year round to create a nice atmosphere and it's nice to see our guests use the area to visit in or have a barbecue.

It sounds like you had a great stay and I'm really happy to hear that. I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Nice Holiday Inn Express. Very clean, very friendly staff. Quiet heard no inside or outside noise. Good location easy to get to anything in Poughkeepsie.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank steveack

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to write a review. I'm happy that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

I would recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a clean hotel with an affordable rate. The staff were all very professional, friendly and welcoming. The room was clean and tidy (to be expected). My only 2 complaints would be the pillows, which were very lumpy, and the bathroom shower head which could use a bit more "pressure". The complimentary breakfast featured enough items to suit most anyone's taste and as a plus (it's the small things that get remembered!), there are free cookies at the front desk at night! I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments. I'm so happy to hear that most of your stay was enjoyable. I appreciate your comments about the lumpy pillows. We have since replaced most of them throughout the hotel and as lumps develop, they are discarded. Eventually, all Holiday Inn Expresses will have a new pillow standard and the problem with lumps should be removed altogether.

The shower heads are the type that can be adjusted to personal taste. I know some prefer a heavy, steady stream while others prefer the setting that isn't as strong. Just a few turns on the shower head will allow you to set it just right for you.

We bake cookies each day, and they're the best cookies around. If you are ever here and we need to make more after running out~ don't hesitate to ask. We're happy to do it.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback, it is truly appreciated. I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Nothing really wrong with this place but I'd try another option next time. Room looked like a typical hotel room--nothing unique. Strange earthy smell in bathroom and funky smell in hallway. Bed was comfortable, room was clean. Breakfast was so-so. Prefab "omelettes", breads, danish, cereal, hb eggs, yogurt; good coffee.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
hiepoughkeepsie, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. I'm happy to report that the hotel is in the beginning stages of planning to redecorate the guest rooms and corridors, scheduled to begin this fall. When it is completed the rooms will offer the "wow" factor that you were hoping for on your previous stay. Not only will the rooms have a fresh, more modern appearance but the bed comfort will be improved on as well.

The complimentary breakfast is intended to exceed expectations by the variety offered as well as having several hot items available. I'm disappointed that you found it to be unimpressive. I certainly appreciate your comments and being given an opportunity to use your feedback to improve what is offered.

I truly hope that you will consider trying us again after the rooms have undergone the extensive renovations. Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Rachel Kuhn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Poughkeepsie
3 km away
Poughkeepsie Grand Hotel
#5 of 13 in Poughkeepsie
13.6 km away
Hampton Inn by Hilton New Paltz NY

Been to Holiday Inn Express Poughkeepsie? Share your experiences!