“Love the Changes”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I have been a fan of Yips since I was a kid. I went to lunch today; at the new Asian Tea House and what a change! The decor is nice, more up to date. The menu has been updated and they now have more Japanese food which is such a treat:) Sushi was delicious and the Seaweed salad was wonderful! Food is flavorful and the service was great although the wait staff are still needing to get acquainted to the new menu.

Reviewed 16 October 2013

Yip's Chinese restaurant has undergone a recent name change, so you will now see a sign saying "Asian Tea House" rather than Yip's. Currently they have banners up declaring a grand opening. They have redecorated the interior with fresh furniture, lighting, and upholstery, with the same dark wood paneling. They have added a sushi bar. Otherwise, it seems they have retained the original dinner menu and, apparently, use the same recipes in the kitchen. If you were a fan of the original Yip's (and apparently there were many) you'll probably be happy with the new incarnation. I was hoping for a new menu with more flavorful food, as I have always found Yip's to be bland. And so it is, still. I had a special, wok-seared salmon with vegetables in garlic sauce. It was a nice piece of fish, but the sauce was mainly sweet with barely any hint of garlic. A friend ordered General Tso's Chicken, and was served something more like orange chicken-very sweet and bland, with none of the expected broccoli (or any other veg). But she reported it to be free of MSG and we both liked the duck sauce and crispy noodle appetizer. They make their own duck sauce and it is very good. We did not try the sushi. I prefer my food to be at least moderately spicy, so this is not for me. The people who ran the place all these years are nice, I just wish the food was more interesting.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

The place is tired, the food is bad ,and I have read the other reviews, its true Jims is a blast from the past, and so is the food. I dont think Jim has tried any othe the dishes his cook ? puts out the kitchen door. Wow had pork and broc. the pork tasted like I don't know what (really) the broccoli was way over done and so greasy you couldnt eat it. The egg fu yung, well it had no flavor and the sauce, well I just lack words to describe. I guess the folks who have eaten there for years have become use to the taste, as it must have taken place over time.You cant make food so bad all at once and keep people coming back,maybe thereare some good items on the list ,but I couldnt stand to try any more than I did.I have a final statement to make to Jim Yip please sit down and try some of your dishes I hope you have the abililty to see what I am talking about.

Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

Jimmy has been there forever.

Favorite dish is rainbow birdsnest though it was way better with shoestring basket.

Their general tso sauce is way off. I don't even think its right based on other places.

Reviewed 8 September 2012

My husband and I went to Yip's today for the first time. We walked in and were greeted immediately. It is a very nice place so we were both feeling pleased with our decision. When our server came to take our orders I asked if I could have vegetable fried rice or if they could omit the pork with my combination platter and was told no. I was disappointed but was going to continue to order when he said it again and then, another woman chimed in and said the kitchen was too busy for substitutions. That we would could only have pork or white rice. When I explained that my husband and I don't eat pork and were looking forward to having fried rice, they were still unwilling to make a concession. By that time I was very frustrated and disappointed so we decided to order appetizers instead. The waiter was short with us and rushing through the whole process. I ordered calamari and when I received it I did not recognize it and the smell was not pleasing. I tasted it and did not enjoy it. When I told the waiter I did not like it he took it away and returned with it in a to go box. It was not removed from the bill. At that point we were so frustrated and annoyed we opted to just pay for it and leave, which is exactly what we did. I see from others here that many have had great experiences there so I am not certain what happened today, but what I do know is that I will not be returning! In our experience they were not interested in having us as customers so we will oblige.