“An average bar in a terrible hotel.”

State Street Bar & Grille
Reserve with OpenTable
State Street Bar & Grille is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #464 of 1,468 Restaurants in Rochester
Price range: US$1 - US$15
Cuisines: Bar, Grill
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 10 October 2015

This is the bar in the Holiday Inn Downtown, recently the Plaza Downtown, an old musty and poorly maintained property. The bar is average in every respect: appearance, selection, service. Macallan's Scotch 12 year is $15 for a short pour.

Reviewed 26 September 2015

It was convenient to eat here, since it is in the hotel lobby and there are limited other choices nearby. But the service was slow, and the food just wasn't very good. The hotel was just reopened after a renovation, so maybe they were rusty.

Reviewed 26 October 2014

Went with friends on lunch break from a conference. We had an hour for lunch and needed it and then some to get ordered and fed here. The place only had one waitress it seemed servicing a moderately large and busy lunch crowd. The food when we got it was good and moderately priced. Seems like they need more staff in kitchen and dining room if they are going to be a place you can count on.

Reviewed 17 October 2014 via mobile

The staff were friendly, the wings were great! The Ceaser salad was lacking. My waiter was very friendly and made a great recommendation. Not a huge menu to choose from.

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

I decided to take a few weeks before writing this review to let my disgust and anger settle. I was staying at the Rochester Plaza for a few days on business in June of 2014, and will NEVER return!
The hotel itself is dated, and while some areas look fairly fresh, I was repulsed at others.
The dining areas, specifically, were terrible. Breakfast is available in a large room, but the buffet is not what one would expect in a higher-end hotel. The breakfast servers seemed scowling and miserable. One female server was so short with guests, I am amazed she still has her job- she looked as if it would kill her to smile. The breakfast "buffet" was lacking foods one would expect. Oh well! Lunch was another surprise. Food is all cooked on a grill outside in front of the hotel. Really? I wasn't very surprised when I was given a photocopy menu that was a little worse for wear. The lunch staff was friendlier, and the supervisor(?) was cordial and attentive to my needs without me asking. Dinner is served in the bar area (as is lunch). The supervisor (Rich?) was my waiter and he went out of his way to make my dining experience at least slightly enjoyable. The bartenders Lisa and Phil were great and were quick. It seems as if at least some of the staff, who I mentioned by name, were concerned with overall service and presentation. However, the bar/restaurant area looks tired and dirty. It is painfully obvious the manager and owner of this hotel could care less about investing in the food areas. The worst part of my review is this- I saw a rat and mouse traps in the breakfast area, and a mouse in the bar. I realize the hotel is in a downtown location, next to a river, but this was too much. I checked out a day early because of these sightings, and l will never return.