“Nice Accomodations - Housekeeping Iffy- Breakfast Not Good”

Homewood Suites Rochester/Greece
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Rochester
Reviewed 18 June 2017

This is a typical suite type hotel and our 2nd stay here. We stayed in room 116 - nice location - on first floor but far from the lobby. Room was a 1 bedroom with king bed. Accommodations are very comfortable - fully furnished kitchen including dishwasher soap, paper towels, etc. Some dishes were in rough shape - scratched so they always look dirty. Two ac units that word great - bed very comfortable - towels and linens of good quality - Neutragena toiletries. Several trash cans and recycling can. Nice indoor pool. Much larger and better than average fitness center. Fast and friendly check in. Warm cookies each evening. Outdoor grills and entertainment areas and even a putting green. Property is well maintained over all. Location convenient to many restaurants; walking distance to Starbucks and Honey Baked Ham. Close to Wegman's. Also there is access to a really nice paved walking trail from the parking lot of the Fairfield in next door. Now for the not so good. Breakfast was pretty bad. After the first two days, it was not even worth going to it. The eggs were simply terrible. Liquid eggs poured into a large baking pan - baked dry - cut up with a spoon and put into a chafing dish. Did I say really terrible? The oatmeal was like glue. They have waffles, which are good because you make them yourself. Other egg option was a little better - a pre-made omelette with American cheese. Housekeeping was also hit or miss. When we arrived the dish washer still had dirty dishes in it from the prior occupant. We turned on the dishwasher, using our one and only soap packet. The next morning the housekeeping staff didn't touch the kitchen. Nothing. They didn't even leave a soap packet for us to wash our dishes. They ignored the note and broken coffee pot (it had a cracked lit so the coffee poured all over the counter). They did not even sweep the bathroom. Also we found dog food kibble on the kitchen floor (and no, we did not bring a dog or any kibble into the room). When we mentioned these things to the front desk they said "they were not sure if housekeeping was supposed to leave dishwasher soap and sweep the floors or not". I saw the sticky roller in the housekeeping cart that is supposed to be used to remove hair from the bathroom floor, so I think it is part of the process. I also reported a burned out bulb in the vanity area. The clerk did get me a new coffee urn. Next morning - turned on coffee - the urn was the wrong one for the pot so the "grab a cup" feature was not triggered, so water backed up into the pot and all over the counter. Pot was unusable. I went back to the front desk who told me to ask housekeeping. Housekeeping gave me a different brand pot but with no basket ad told me to go to the front desk for a basket. I did and told the clerk that there were TWO DIFFERENT BRANDS of coffee pots and to please get the. correct basket. She assured me there was only one type of pot (WRONG!). Maintenance came to the room with - you guessed it - the wrong basket for the wrong brand pot. Also, light bulb from prior day still not replaced. The very nice maintenance man finally brought me a complete and working coffee pot and replaced the light bulb. I finally had to clean the bathroom floors myself as sweeping did not happen in the 3 nights we were there. I probably will try a different hotel on my next Rochester trip.

Room Tip: Room 116 is quiet but on first floor so people walk by the windows when going to parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura M
Patrick C, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites Rochester/Greece, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

Dear Laura M.,

Thank you for your very detailed feedback regarding your stay. These comments only help us to improve the level of service we provide. I would like to thank you for staying with us and I am glad you enjoyed most aspects of the hotel. In regards to certain areas you mentioned, I will forward these comments to the appropriate departments to help us improve.

We thank you for your feedback and for staying with us.

Reviewed 12 June 2017

Terrible smells. From perfumed cleaners to the smell of sewage in hall and room, this place was clearly not concerned wiTh the health of us or our 4- and 6- year old children. . If I hadn't paid in advance I would have checked out. No more Homewood Suites for us.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Patrick C, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites Rochester/Greece, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2017

Dear Lanas511,

I am so sorry that you experienced this. Our top concern and priority is our guests and I am sorry you felt differently. In regards to the perfume smell, this is most likely Febreze that we do use in the hotel as do most Hilton properties. We would be more than happy to accommodate a request to not use this. I am not sure about the smell of sewage as we have never had an issue or comment in regards to this. I will surely have our Chief Engineer look into it. I am sorry you have chosen not to stay at Homewood Suites but we would love for you to stay with us again so we can prove to you why we are the leaders in the hospitality industry.

Reviewed 11 June 2017

We were greeted at the front desk by a very friendly and helpful staff. We were very satisfied with our one room suite, which was clean and comfortable. We initially had a problem with he stove top that was not heating. I contacted front desk and within 10 minutes, the guy at the front desk came to the room and was able to fix the problem. The kitchenette was equipped with basic cutlery, cooking utensils, pots and pans, dishes, and glasses. There was the stove top, microwave, dishwasher and coffeemaker.

The hotel served hot breakfast (egg, ham), cereals, breads, fruits, milk, oatmeal, make your own waffles, juices. The breakfast staff was very helpful and offered to set aside next batch of scramble eggs some of it without chives for our son.

Wi-fi was easy to connect and reliable. We did not use the pool nor the business center.

There are many restaurant options within driving distance. Next door within walking distance there is a grill and tap restaurant.

We stayed for the weekends, so there were many families. It can be loud close to the common areas. We requested a quiet room away from the noise and we were very satisfied.

If we are in the area, definitely, we would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet room, when booking add this request. Stay away from elevator and ice...
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Dear Ephesian5,

Thank you for your comments. It is so good to hear such kind words. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide a home away from home for our guests and if there are any problems we will do our best to fix in a timely manner. Maybe next time you visit you can enjoy our pool.

We look forward to seeing you again!!!

Reviewed 9 June 2017

This was a great last min choice nice and clean worth the money , I stay at Hiltons when we travel and have never had an issue. Being a rewards member has perks as well. I have never had to stay at a local hotel but this was nice

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family

Dear Sonya C.,

Thank you so much for your kind words. It is our goal to remain consistent with the Hilton/Homewood brand to best serve our guests and I am glad we were able to do that for you. Although you are local, you can always stay with us is you ever want a little getaway.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 June 2017

Clean and comfortable room, very friendly staff. We were in Rochester for business and in town for a race that started early next morning. Hotel was close to the race location and easy access to the city-- Would stay again!

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business

Dear Ariel E,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we were in a convenient location for your race.

We hope you did well in your race and we look forward to hosting you again should your travels bring you back to the Rochester-Greece area.