“Father’s Day at Mim’s”
Review of Mim's Restaurant

Mim's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mim's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$15 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Gastropub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Long Island's most popular neighborhood restaurants, Mim's serves robustly flavored, seasonal American cuisine in a relaxed setting of casual elegance. We offer a full lunch and dinner menu with daily specials in the dining room and the bar. Behind the bar, an outstanding wine list, local micro-brews and a large selection of hand-crafted specialty cocktails are offered. Join us for happy hour. Private parties, large groups & special events are welcome, with private dining & event space available. Mim's is known for welcoming guests with excellent value and warm hospitality. Catering for all occasions. We look forward to seeing you soon!!!
Reviewed 24 July 2018

Father’s Day at Mim’s was a very enjoyable experience for my family! We were 7 people and ordered a number of appetizers. All were excellent! Everyone enjoyed their main courses and desserts! Service was excellent!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Rich3636, Owner at Mim's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2018

Thanks for joining us on Fathers day and thanks for the five star review. Cheers - Rich

Reviewed 24 July 2018

At times service and food here is good. On my last visit it was just terrible. Perhaps the waitress was brand new. It took almost 20 minutes to get our salads and that was only because I flagged down another waitress(who was very nice). I think our original waitress just forgot about our order. By the time the chicken dishes arrived they tasted like lead chicken.
Also when you offer a pre fixe dinner it would seem that you should give that menu to customers. It took 3 tries before we were able to get that secret menu.
I think Mim's needs some work on training and proper treatment of customers.

Hi Mike. Thanks for that constructive feedback. It is well taken. We recently let go of a couple of servers that were not a good fit for us. Hopefully that was one of them. Thanks again and we hope you give us another shot. - Rich

P.S Were sorry about your expeince

Reviewed 24 July 2018

We are regulars at Mims and are never disappointed! Great food, excellent service, lovely atmosphere!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Thanks for all your support and loyalty. We really appreciate it :)

Reviewed 23 July 2018

Finally made it to Mim's and enjoyed every minute of it. The tough part is that it's five minutes from my house and I clearly don't get here enough. We arrived a bit early for our reservation and sat very comfortably in the waiting area out side the bar. We were only a few minutes when they brought us to our seats in a well lit (but not too lit) main dining room. Our very lovely server came by, introduced herself, brought and incredible bread basket, took drink order and then just let us relax for a few minutes while we went through this incredible menu. There were so many items to order that you just don't see on menus so I we ask some opinions and made some very tough decisions. (Not so tough because I knew we would have to come back.)

We started with the Crispy Calamari "Tuscan Style." I like when things are [in my opinion,] perfect. The Calamari was crisp on the outside and perfectly cooked on the inside. Not chewy like I am eating a rubber band, but tender, tasty and screaming at me to take more. I had to remember that I was sharing with my wife... She felt the same way.

We also ordered "The Wedge," Iceberg lettuce, applewood bacon, red onions, cherry tomatoes, bleu cheese dressing (ingredients from menu). This was good. I mean it's just lettuce no? No, it was cool crisp, fresh and really tasty with the items they use. Again, I was sharing with my wife so there was a bit of completion of who could get more until she cut put some on my plate and told me that was it.... (Again, I must go back for more.)

I had the 'Country Chicken Pot Pie,' roasted chicken breast, carrots, peas, potatoes, fresh sage béchamel sauce, puff pastry crust (ingredients from menu). How do I say quietly THIS WAS THE BEST POT PIE I HAVE EVER HAD? OMG... This was amazing. I mean, all the regular items you expect to find except the béchamel sauce was amazing and there was so much fresh chicken breast, plenty of vegetables too.

My wife had the 'Marinated Skirt Steak', with crispy onions, and sautéed spinach. This too was perfect. When my wife says well done, she means... I want it well done, and that's exactly how she got it. She really enjoyed the tasty skirt steak that was also incredibly tender... I'll vouch for this as I had some of it too.

Service was perfect and you can see the connection the server develop with the guests. Wish we could have done dessert but left zero space... I'll know better next time. Mims is clearly a local restaurant with many local patrons and you can see how happy the staff is here to see their guests often. The restaurant has specials and there is always a $10.00 coupon somewhere. I will be back, and back often...

Hi Joel. You just made our day!!! Thank you so much for that awesome detailed review. Were so happy that you thoroughly enjoyed yourselves. Best pot pie ever? Thanks again and hope to see you soon. With gratitude - Rich

Reviewed 21 July 2018

went on Father's Day- they had on "specials" a surf and turf- 1/2 lobster etc. I saw that other tables were ordering full 2# lobsters etc. when I asked the waiter wasn't I told about that, he got the Mgr. Mgr. came over and said that was offered to those that were on their mailing list? When I said that doesn't make sense, because how do you attract new customers? he didn't respond, and then said I can see if there are any left in the kitchen (mind you I had an early reservation). Because I was with my family I didn't want to make a stink or a scene I just kept with my order- Meatloaf. It was basically just a meatball shaped in a square- the crispy onions that were supposed to be on top- were obviously at the bottom of the sheet pan, and the mashed potatoes- were sitting for a period of time of the line- not very good at all. I would also probably say what made the evening even less enjoyable- (we were a table of 4) they served 3 entrees- didn't serve my daughters. I had to flag down the waiter (who looked troubles) and told him-he ended up having the Mgr. bring her entrée out. He apologized but by this point the damage was done. They offered us free deserts (which is restaurant 101) and took my daughters entrée off (which we didn't ask for, and I even told the Mgr. to please not to do so- I said we were not looking for anything free- just looking to have a nice family dinner for Fathers Day. I have been here before and the food and service was better. Not sure I would ever return

Rich3636, Owner at Mim's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2018

First of all I would like to sincerely apologize for your experience at Mim's As you know from your past dining with us that is not our norm. I would also like to thank you for the detailed review. Nothing worse than getting one star and not having the opportunity to know why. I would love to show you a better experience. Please email me at mimsrestaurant@hotmail.com. Would you please give me that opportunity? Apologetically - Rich (owner)