“The meal and wait staff were a dining disaster!”
Review of Nonna Fina - CLOSED

Nonna Fina
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 6 August 2017

Four of us stopped at Nonna Fina on August 4, 2017 as we had been there before and expected we would receive the same level of service and food quality. Boy, were we wrong! We were seated in a room apart from the main dining room. The table was totally devoid of place settings, S & P etc. We waited over 10 minutes for a server and none came to our table. A person in our party finally got up and alerted the hostess that we hadn't been waited on. When a server finally made her way over, her persona was lack luster. The restaurant seemed to be out of food and wine items like lobster raviolli, and Merlot. Our dinners proved to be equally lack luster and lacking enthusiasm like our servers. We were really disappointed with the service, and food! This is a restaurant we are crossing off our list. Has it changed hands, hired someone who can't prepare tasty, well presented food? Don't know but wouldn't recommend this eatery. Your money is better spent somewhere else! It is cheap to eat at Nonna Finas!

1  Thank Carol S

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

The paninis come on hot dog rolls. The Alfredo has no flavor and when we went to pay we were told the credit card machine was down due to a storm 2 weeks ago (I live here, there was no storm) when I suggested they tell people before they order, I got "I try to but sometimes it gets so busy" (there were two other tables than ours!). On the plus side, they are very nice but sometimes nice isn't good enough.

Reviewed 26 July 2017

Someone needs to let tripadvisor know that the website shown for this restaurant is wrong and links to an asian site. The link has an unnecessary S at the end of the proper website. This is very frustrating and I could find no way to contact TA to explain the problem. We dined there tonight and I had hoped to post a strong positive review but as my husband said, I had low expectations for an Italian restaurant in Saranac Lake and even those weren't met. He had chicken parm - I wish I could go into the kitchen and show the chef how to make chicken parm. The chicken was too thick and the whole thing was done ahead and simply reheated. Since prepping chicken parm takes time, I understand doing some of it ahead, but letting the breaded chicken rest in the walk-in until it is time to serve it, then frying it while the diner waits and just putting it in the oven long enough to melt the mozzarella makes for a superior dish. This was disappointing. I had capellini pomodoro and the sauce was tasty - a little undersalted, I suspect the pasta water wasn't sufficiently salted, I don't mind sauce that isn't salty since it is easy enough to add salt then, but the pasta water needs enough salt to taste brothy so that it seeps into the pasta. I asked for it to be al dente - granted a difficult task, but I thought since I stressed it, maybe it would be close. It was mushi-mushella (to speak as my Sicilian in-laws call it). I didn't send it back because I'd already been annoying enough and didn't want to wait longer. I mention both of these issues because they CAN be fixed. Cook the pasta less, maybe 2-3 min less than the box says, then toss it with the sauce in a pan to rest until ready to serve. It should still have a little bite. Make the chicken parm to order. Both simple fixes. Then the final thing, no espresso. Even a home espresso machine would do the trick - we use Nespresso and they make a restaurant worthy machine. It gives the restaurant a chance to sell (or offer free) a shot of anisette or sambuca with the espresso, and ends a meal on a high note.
If you aren't Italian or live outside of the NYC metropolitan area, this food would have been fine. We have super high standards because we both cook Italian and my husband is Italian-American.
So I recommend Nonna Fina with reservations.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

We have been to Nona Fina numerous times before and obviously have gone back, but Saturday's visit was not good. What is going on? We were seated quickly but our server did not come for a long time.We ordered 2 drinks, out of both, heard another server say the soda machine was down. Again a long wait, ordered chicken wings, waitress said she would come back for our dinner order but we did not want to take a chance and tried to order dinner, 1st choice, sorry don't have that, 2nd choice sorry don't have that, they also did not have choice 3 and 4. Wish she had told us first. When the wings finally came, we were asked if we would like small plates, yes, the plates never came. The wings were good but messy with no plates. Dinner came after a long wait,veal picatta was good, veal saltimbocca was good but not what was in the menu, ham was substituted for prosicutto and the marsala sauce was quite different. The ham and tomatoes were large slices not diced so a little difficult to eat but tasty. After a long wait we received the bill and left. We will not be back until the old Nona Fina and the good service and quality returns.

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Went for dinner during our stay. Our server was lovely even though it was her first day. Ordered calamari, bruschetta, lobster ravioli, and pescatore. Calamari was delicious as was the pescatore. They forgot the clams etc and only originally served it with shrimp but they quickly corrected it. The calamari was served with a delicious marinara sauce. Unfortunately the lobster ravioli was not good. The pasta was thick and chewy, it came with what looked like a blob of tomato paste thrown on top. I would not recommend this dish. Overall food was fine but we wouldn't go out of our way to go again.