“Disappointing. ”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 16 July 2018 via mobile

First return visit to Saratoga in years to catch Dave Matthews at SPAC. Dave never disappoints but Hattie’s did. We had enjoyed in past visits. First the drinks: wife and I both had mint julips that tasted like pure simple syrup. Sweetness overwhelmed bourbon and mint. Sent it back for a beer and remake which then presented as pure bourbon on rocks. Wife had calfs livers she enjoyed. However her main course: shrimp gumbo. Shrimp lacked flavor, could have been frozen. Gumbo sauce uninspired, mushy consistency. The little okra they did add should have been firmer. My fried chicken, their signature dish just ok. But what really disappointed was the collard greens: over sweetened to the point that couldn’t taste vegetable or pork, again just sugar. Unfortunately our last visit.

Date of visit: July 2018

Reviewed 15 July 2018 via mobile

Delicious, authentic creole/southern cuisine. The chicken and waffles were crisp and we'll seasoned, the biscuits and gravy were fluffy and chewy with big sausage chunks. The cheese grits were the best I've ever eaten and I have had them in South Carolina! Cute place with attentive staff who kept the delicious coffee coming on a morning that we desperately needed it. This is a must visit stop!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

This popular spot is famous for its Fried Chicken and overall soul food menu. The front we we were seated was old fashioned with tables of 4 and 2 adorned with checkered tablecloths. We were surprised that there wasn’t a wait to be seated. The food took a bit longer but was worth the wait. We had the Devil Eggs to start. I had the traditional breakfast with Sugar Bacon that was the most flavorful bacon I’d ever had!!! The eggs and Texas toast was good, the home fries were good but a bit salty and I love salt. My boyfriend had Fried Chicken & Waffles. The chicken was fresh hot and deliciously crispy. The waffle was good but not amazing. The dinner menu looked just as good so if we visit again we’ll definitely stop by.

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Very disappointed to see that one of our favorite dishes is no longer on the menu. We have had many great meals at Hattie’s, but Jasper’s Mac & Cheese is our favorite, and we were shocked to see it missing from the menu. Our waiter mentioned something about it being a “winter only” dish, but we know we’ve had it at other times during the spring and summer. Oh well, I guess we’ll have to go elsewhere to scratch this itch. Fortunately there are plenty of other places in Saratoga serving great mac & cheese year round.

Reviewed 21 June 2018

Showed up a 10 minutes early on Sunday intending to have Brunch. A very nice waitress told us we were early and my wife and I were prepared to wait outside. She asked if we would like a cup of coffee while we waited. What a thoughtful gesture. All was well until the Chef poked his head out from the kitchen and said " I hope they aren't planning on eating anytime soon. What an absolute A__hole!!!

1  Thank LewisG135
Purplebetty, Owner at Hattie's, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2018

I read your review and I have to say I am shocked that you would name Chef Jasper Alexander in the headline. The gentleman you heard was a cook and not Chef Alexander. Often cooks joke with one another and the wait staff and say inappropriate things that are unfortunately overheard. However referring to a person as an A-hole without investigating is careless and I harmful to Chef Alexander's stellar reputation. The employee was dealt with immediately and reprimanded. I do wish you had called to speak with a manager or one of the owners before you started name calling.